U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Home owner Insurance company know about your dog.
I have a dog, which is considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company knows about it. 9 26.47%
I have a dog, which is considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company DOES NOT know about it. 3 8.82%
I have a dog, which is NOT considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company knows about it. 12 35.29%
I have a dog, which is NOT considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company DOES NOT know about it. 10 29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 73,240 times

Advertisements

We've got USAA and I double checked when we got our Cane Corso but the only information they asked for was whether we had a dog, and if the dog had bit someone before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 PM

556 posts, read 1,728,237 times
We are in Texas - we have four Rottweilers and a Pit Bull mix - we are also fosters in Rottweiler Rescue as needed and our homeowners insurance carrier for the past 7 years is State Farm. Our agent has been fully versed on our situation and we've been assured that our dogs are not a problem.

We have NEVER had a claim - of any kind (this is likely key to some degree).

State Farm does have the right to exclude a dog from one of their policies, AFTER a claim is made about a bite incident, but they do NOT have breed lists that result in cancellation of existing policies or denial of initial policy writing.

While volunteering and sitting on the board of a rottweiler specific rescue group, I learned A LOT about insurance carriers and their 'breed lists' - which when called, most will flat out deny having - but you let a representative from an insurance carrier come to your property and see your dogs are large and barking - and you could find a cancellation or non-renewal notice in your mailbox!

Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM

19,391 posts, read 52,141,487 times
When I moved from LA to Miss and then to UT, Allstate did not ask about pets. They also carry my umbrella policy and car insurance so I suppose they are happy.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 PM

29,989 posts, read 35,109,448 times
I don't disclose my dog/dogs to my insurance company. It is NONE of their business. I insure my home and property through them, not my dogs.

I do not lie about them, I simply fail to answer the questions.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:15 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,244,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Are you being dropped because of the age of your home?

FL is a tough insurance market. Not very many of the insurers who are still writing new policies here will cover a Doberman.
It's being non-renewed as part of a reduction of State Farm Florida's hurricane exposure. They wanted to leave the State completely but made an agreement with the State, which included dropping thousands of homeowner policies.
I've never had any of my dogs bite anyone.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 PM
ZSP

1,559 posts, read 3,871,832 times
We have Nationwide and I don't remember that they have ever asked if we even have dogs. None of their business, IMHO.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 PM

12,649 posts, read 17,000,256 times
state farm dropped my parents and they could not find another insurance company in the state of florida to cover them so they moved back to Missouri . my mom raises and breeds german sheppards and the insurance company and agent told them that was a no no from a state farm point of view and policy . Florida stinks in the home insurance department . I m leaving soon anyway so it does not matter anyway .

Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 PM

25,405 posts, read 14,161,449 times
Everyone had best check their policy and make sure there are no Exclusions in there that 'exclude' a specific breed. Most companies now do exclude specific breeds of dogs that have reputations for biting.

Check now . . before you have a claim. Just look in your policy under the Liability section.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 AM

61 posts, read 188,631 times
Only 12 votes... We definitely have more dogowners on here.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:32 AM

2,407 posts, read 5,048,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
We are in Texas - we have four Rottweilers and a Pit Bull mix - we are also fosters in Rottweiler Rescue as needed and our homeowners insurance carrier for the past 7 years is State Farm. Our agent has been fully versed on our situation and we've been assured that our dogs are not a problem.

We have NEVER had a claim - of any kind (this is likely key to some degree).

State Farm does have the right to exclude a dog from one of their policies, AFTER a claim is made about a bite incident, but they do NOT have breed lists that result in cancellation of existing policies or denial of initial policy writing.

While volunteering and sitting on the board of a rottweiler specific rescue group, I learned A LOT about insurance carriers and their 'breed lists' - which when called, most will flat out deny having - but you let a representative from an insurance carrier come to your property and see your dogs are large and barking - and you could find a cancellation or non-renewal notice in your mailbox!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We also have Rottweilers. Have ALWAYS had Rottweilers. Will ALWAYS have Rottweilers. They are our kids...
Our Ins. is Farmers Ins.
They are well aware of us having our Rotts. We have NEVER had any claims or complaints about our Rotts.
Living out in the counrty in MO. might have something to do with it, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or