U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Does Home owner Insurance company know about your dog.
I have a dog, which is considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company knows about it. 8 24.24%
I have a dog, which is considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company DOES NOT know about it. 3 9.09%
I have a dog, which is NOT considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company knows about it. 12 36.36%
I have a dog, which is NOT considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company DOES NOT know about it. 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-22-2010, 10:29 AM

556 posts, read 937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
If I didn't live in FL I wouldn't be getting dropped by State Farm and I wouldn't have this problem at all. It's pretty frustrating.
Mother Nature and breed lists - I'm SOOOO sorry you are caught in a place where BOTH are causing problems with homeowners insurance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-22-2010, 12:14 PM

2,395 posts, read 2,735,963 times
It's just wrong.
If you never have had any claim concerning your dogs, they should give you a break.
If you have had a claim concerning the dogs...depending on the situation...they usually just charge more.

I too am very sorry you have to go thru this.

Unread 04-22-2010, 12:19 PM

5,102 posts, read 7,505,448 times
I found:

There are presently a handful of companies that do not have any type of breed/pet restrictions for homeowners, and can be identified as Pit Bull friendly insurance companies. The Pitbull friendly insurance agencies include:

State Farm
Firemanís Fund
Kemper
Chubb Group
Farmers Insurance
Einhorn (California only)

Here:

Insurance for Pit Bulls, What Insurers Accept Pitbulls | Save A Bull

Unread 04-22-2010, 12:24 PM

5,102 posts, read 7,505,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B K R View Post
Now that I am looking for a dog, I called my agent and she mentioned that our Insurance Company will accept pets however any of the below breeds will cause for dropping of coverage.

Akita, Alaskan Malamute, Am Staff terrier, Pit Bull terrier, Chow Chow, Doberman Pincher, German Shephard, St Bernard, Great dane, Presa Canario, Rottweiler, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Siberian Husky, Dingo , all mastiff breeds, and any cross breed of above and any wolf breed or hybrid.

I am so saddened to see that they got a GSD & Dobbie on the list. I had these 2 dogs before and they had never cause any trouble, on the other hand the Pomerianians we had, caused more trouble (including biting). However I am relieved to see that the list is a small one.
I'd be switching companies so fast it would make their head spin.

We went with a small local company and had 3 rotties and 2 pits at the time and they wrote our policy with no hesitation. Their only concern was had they bitten anyone.

Find a new insurance company. As long as people keep caving to their demands of what you may and may not own, they will be allowed and able to continue this. And while you think the list is small, if you allow them to mandate what breed of dog you bring home, that list will keep growing. And the breed you choose may one day be on it.

Unread 04-23-2010, 03:05 PM

61 posts, read 63,051 times
We are with Germania.
No problem with Rotties.

Unread 10-12-2011, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,431 times
I HAVE THREE Staffordshire Bull Terrier CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT INSURENCE COMPANY SHOULD I USE..

Unread 10-13-2011, 08:54 AM

7,320 posts, read 7,528,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINEZ2011 View Post
I HAVE THREE Staffordshire Bull Terrier CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT INSURENCE COMPANY SHOULD I USE..
see the below post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I found:

There are presently a handful of companies that do not have any type of breed/pet restrictions for homeowners, and can be identified as Pit Bull friendly insurance companies. The Pitbull friendly insurance agencies include:

State Farm
Firemanís Fund
Kemper
Chubb Group
Farmers Insurance
Einhorn (California only)

Here:

Insurance for Pit Bulls, What Insurers Accept Pitbulls | Save A Bull

Unread 10-13-2011, 10:19 AM

28 posts, read 31,197 times
I live in Florida and last year my insurance carrier wanted to drop me. I called and sent a nasty email to the head office. A few days later I received a email stating they would continue to insure me.

I just received my renewal for 2012 (up $85 from last year) and they let me know since I pay for the pet policy that they had updated their exclusion list.

It is: Akita, Alaskan Malamute, American Staff terrier, Pit Bull terrier, Chow Chow, Doberman Pincher, German Shepherd, Great Dane, Presa Canario, Rottweiler, Siberian Husky, all mastiff breeds, and any mix breed of above and any wolf breed or hybrid.

BTW it is FL Peninsula

I have three hounds, one black mouth cur/ridgeback, and two catahoulas

Unread 10-13-2011, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINEZ2011 View Post

State Farm will insure your terrier. They do want to know if they have ever bitten anyone or shown aggressive behaviors. I just got 3 insured on my renters insurance.

Unread 10-13-2011, 11:05 AM

7,913 posts, read 14,755,700 times
April 2010 thread folks! You might want to check ins co in your area...rules do change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs