U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Does Home owner Insurance company know about your dog.
I have a dog, which is considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company knows about it. 8 24.24%
I have a dog, which is considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company DOES NOT know about it. 3 9.09%
I have a dog, which is NOT considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company knows about it. 12 36.36%
I have a dog, which is NOT considered agressive breed, and my Insurance Company DOES NOT know about it. 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 PM

61 posts, read 115,547 times

Advertisements

Which insurance companies are you dog owners using for your home owners coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 02:52 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,014,254 times
I have ALLSTATE and they did ask about dogs when I first got the policy years ago and owned a cocker but have not asked since nor did they ask for pictures or any proof to see if my dog was indeed a cocker. The dogs I have had since then would all be considered non aggressive breeds by the insurance company standards.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:54 PM

161 posts, read 319,986 times
are we supposed to tell our insurance agent when we purchase pets?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,826,629 times
I have State Farm who is not renewing my policy. I got one quote from another company, but they won't cover my dog (a doberman).
If anyone knows of a company who will cover my dog in the State of Florida, please let me know. Of course to cover wind storm too. I have an agent who is supposed to be looking for coverage, but haven't heard from him yet.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:01 PM

61 posts, read 115,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritle View Post
are we supposed to tell our insurance agent when we purchase pets?
Technically Yes. There are exclusions regarding non domesticated pets (Reptile, Horses, etc) and also regarding certain domesticated pets (Aggressive dog breeds, etc).

Incase you don't let you insurance company know about your dog and incur a liability claim due to dog bite, your claim might get denied or you may get dropped after the claim is reported.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:09 PM

7,686 posts, read 8,919,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
I have State Farm who is not renewing my policy. I got one quote from another company, but they won't cover my dog (a doberman).
If anyone knows of a company who will cover my dog in the State of Florida, please let me know. Of course to cover wind storm too. I have an agent who is supposed to be looking for coverage, but haven't heard from him yet.
i have state farm too .... although neither of my dogs is considered an aggressive breed, i was under the impression that they were one of the few that did not discriminate...... hhhhmmmmmm ...... i think also that american family may be a good one to check........

Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM

553 posts, read 741,667 times
I used to have State Farm, and they were concerned only with whether or not my dog had bitten anyone.

We now have Liberty Mutual and again, they just asked if our dogs had bitten anyone. Come to think of it, when we were ready to rescue another dog last summer I called to ask about any breed restrictions, and they told me they were concerned only with bite history.

We carry a hefty liability policy. I think it's a good idea even if your dog isn't likely to bite. We live in a very litigious society! My old State Farm agent told me a story about a friendly golden whose leash had gotten tangled in someone's bike, and it ended up injuring the rider.

Anyway, I would always err on the side of caution and tell your insurance company when you add a dog to your family.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:21 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,589,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Are you being dropped because of the age of your home?

FL is a tough insurance market. Not very many of the insurers who are still writing new policies here will cover a Doberman.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 PM

4,777 posts, read 7,878,453 times
We have USAA, and years ago they did ask what breed of dogs we had. We have/had Border Collies, and there was no issue regarding them.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:13 PM

599 posts, read 1,143,451 times
I have state farm and they never asked if we had dogs.I own two pitbulls and of course theyre number one on the "aggressive dog breed list"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs