U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:54 PM

823 posts, read 2,575,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I agree do not feel quilty about not clicking with this dog. I have found that when I adopt a dog especially an adult that I know right away if this is my dog or not there is just that something special there that hits me right away.

With my very first dog (as an adult) I looked at the shelters for a few days and picked out several dogs that I really liked then I took a walk down Death row.Which back then was a row of dogs that would be put to sleep if not adopted by days end. In one cage sat a very quiet dirty matted dog one I would probably have passed by as it was an english cocker so not a breed I had been considering but the moment I stopped and our eyes met I knew she was my dog.Not a doubt in my mind she was mine and azt that point I knew nothing about her only her breed and age.. What a fantastic dog she was and when we got into my car she leaned into me and gave me a lick which as it turned out was one of the few licks she ever gave in the 10 yrs we were together. She cleaned up real nice too and under all that dirt and matts was a very beautiful blonde and white cocker and she was a geat dog.

Dash was another dog that the moment I saw him at the Humane society I knew without a doubt he was mine and boy was he.

Phoenix also stole my heart the moment we met and I was not even looking for a 3rd dog at the time but there was something about this deaf, vision impaired girl that tugged on my heart strings and normally a very shy dog she warmed up to me right away which had the people at the humane society all crossing their fingers that I would adopt her.

What I am trying to say is that when a dog is meant to be with you you just know it. It is a gut feeling and over the years I have learned to listen to that gut feeling as so far it has always been right. A shy or reserved dog can be difficult so if you really did like the dog I would do as others suggested and spend a little more time with her as maybe now that she has met you once she will be more into getting to know you. If you still do not feel that connection after spending more time with her then keep looking until you find such a dog. Good luck in your search!

Wow, what a touching story about going to death row to look for your dog. I've gone to kill shelters before when rescuing my cats and it was REALLY depressing. I recently found out those shelters do not euthanize dogs unless they are dangerous.

Deep down inside, I do know what you mean when you say "you just know..it's a gut feeling". I guess I was hoping and wishing on our car ride there last night that she would be the one. It's just so hard to walk away but as I've said before, I know they will find her an excellent home.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 PM

556 posts, read 1,828,634 times
LIgirl - are there 'adoption events' in your area? If there are - please go to one - it's wonderful to be able to meet/see many many dogs in one place - and you might find that this type of meet/greet works better for you and your husband, because it's not just 'one dog' there. In our area - we can have upwards of 100 dogs at these events - with multiple groups participating, so you get to see several groups showcasing their adoptable dogs.

Purchasing a puppy - wow - I have a soap box with that on it.....but I hope before you consider a puppy, you will consider the time needed to properly train/socialize a little one to your home. The less you are home, the longer all that takes, and the less successful it is long term.....

If you are set on a puppy - go to your local shelter and see the puppies there - there is never a shortage of shelter puppies needing homes

Good luck in your search - and don't be so hard on yourself about these feelings of walking away - you didn't dump this dog that is in rescue - you didn't abuse it, neglect it, or in any way cause it to be in the situation it was in BEFORE it was rescued - remember, these dogs in rescue are now SAFE, happy, loved, fed, vetted, and living the good life........with foster homes that are committed to keeping them as long as it takes to find their new family - even if that never happens....and the foster homes are treating their foster dogs like their own, which prepares them for whatever the future holds!

Old 03-17-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
LIgirl - are there 'adoption events' in your area? If there are - please go to one - it's wonderful to be able to meet/see many many dogs in one place - and you might find that this type of meet/greet works better for you and your husband, because it's not just 'one dog' there. In our area - we can have upwards of 100 dogs at these events - with multiple groups participating, so you get to see several groups showcasing their adoptable dogs.

Purchasing a puppy - wow - I have a soap box with that on it.....but I hope before you consider a puppy, you will consider the time needed to properly train/socialize a little one to your home. The less you are home, the longer all that takes, and the less successful it is long term.....

If you are set on a puppy - go to your local shelter and see the puppies there - there is never a shortage of shelter puppies needing homes

Good luck in your search - and don't be so hard on yourself about these feelings of walking away - you didn't dump this dog that is in rescue - you didn't abuse it, neglect it, or in any way cause it to be in the situation it was in BEFORE it was rescued - remember, these dogs in rescue are now SAFE, happy, loved, fed, vetted, and living the good life........with foster homes that are committed to keeping them as long as it takes to find their new family - even if that never happens....and the foster homes are treating their foster dogs like their own, which prepares them for whatever the future holds!

I actually mentioned something to my husband on our way home last night that maybe going somewhere that has more dogs would be better for us so we don't feel so bad walking away from one...we felt it was more personal. I'm going to ask the rescue organization if they plan on having an event like this soon. They did tell me that they would not let me adopt a puppy b/c nobody is home during the day. I was able to find a woman who lives 2 blocks from my house who could come bye for a small fee to spend time with the puppy and walk the dog for a 1/2 hour. The rescue company still will not let me adopt a puppy though. They said they would let me adopt anything that is a year or older. I looked on their website and right now, they have many puppies. My husband is really specific with a size of dog he would like. He does not want a large dog. Perhaps 30 lbs or so and he would prefer a lighter colored dog..I don't mind the color personally, I like all of them.

However, I am going to see if there are any adoption events going on in our area. BUT my husband works most Saturdays and I know most organizations host events on that day. I don't think anyone would let me adopt a dog if it was just myself. If I remember correctly, they want to confirm with everyone in the house that this dog is for them, etc. I knwo North Shore animal League is going to have a 24 hour adoption marathon on May 1st and 2nd. I live about 40 minutes from there and I was planning on going to that. I like the idea of a foster family better b/c they know more about the dog (gets along with cats, children, housebroken, etc.).

I would love to adopt a puppy so it can grow up with my cats, etc. but I do know they require a lot of time.

No need to worry, I would NEVER pay for a purebreed or a dog/cat from a store. I am not for puppy mills, etc. and why pay so much for a dog/puppy when there are so many that need homes. Either way, I am all for rescue. I rescued 2 of my cats and my 3rd was found in the ghetto in NY freezing in the cold as a kitten. My husband found him when he was working. Someone must have thrown him out of their house. He was just a baby at the time. Although, he's a very needy cat and we alway say we can understand why someone did not have patience for him (pees in our bathroom sink once in a while, cries loudly for attention and if you don't give it to him, he tears up paper towels and toilet paper and also does not let us sleep during the night). I think we are pretty patient people. I feel like I have a baby b/c I wake up every night about 3x a night to feed him and after that, if he doesn't stop crying, we crate him and believe it or not, he loves it in there. We think it relaxes him and he falls asleep. He also has hypertrophiccardiomyopathy (enlarged heart condition he was born with) which will reduce his life span so I guess that's another reason we try to have so much patience with him. Okay, enough about my cat Fred. LOL.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
No need to worry, I would NEVER pay for a purebreed or a dog/cat from a store. I am not for puppy mills, etc. and why pay so much for a dog/puppy when there are so many that need homes. Either way, I am all for rescue.

And thanks for being Fred's family....he's a lucky cat

Old 03-17-2010, 03:25 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
there are some dogs you click with immediately ..... and some you don't .... like dashdog, with both of mine, i knew immediately that she and then he was going to be mine.....

the day i adopted bailey, my friend and i looked at every dog in the shelter, and while many were very appealing, it wasn't until we got to her kennel and the attendant was telling us that no one was really looking at her because it seemed that most thought her markings were not appealing..... .... well, took one look at that sweet little face and knew that she was MY dog..... i went in there looking for a boy about 9-12 months old and about 30 lbs max when grown ...... walked out with a 4 month old girl who is 50 lbs at her ideal weight.......

fast forward to last labor day..... this same shelter had had a red heeler mix boy on petfinder for a while..... i had been considering another dog in the family for about 6 months, so headed on down there with bailey...... this little dude was TOTALLY dominating of her and would not quit even when she got snarky with him, so i knew he would not be a good fit...... the attendant took me around to the other dogs and towards the end of the tour, we got to dave's kennel ..... except his name was spike then..... i went in and he greeted me in his sweet sweet way and that was all she wrote...... ..... i had to FLY home to get my checkbook .... i had forgotten it.... and fly back to get him...... again, i had in mind a boy, about 2-3 years old and about 35-40 lbs..... i DID wind up with a boy this time, but he is WAAAAAY taller and longer than i originally had in mind.... and he was only 10 months old and he had lived his ENTIRE life in the shelter..... didn't even really know what toys were initially.... haven't looked back for a SECOND......

its true.... its a combination of you KNOW when you meet your dog..... because THEY pick YOU......

long post slightly longer..... i have noticed on transports that some dogs REALLY suck me in to their orbit in the few hours we are together .... others not so much.... don't have an explanation for it.... just one of life's little mysteries, i guess......

Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:

And thanks for being Fred's family....he's a lucky cat

LOL (literally). I just wish Fred knew how lucky he was to have us. He also tries to escape once in a while (he's indoor only) and we keep saying we don't understand why he would want out when he is able to sleep with us and on cold nights he sleeps under the blankets with us. We keep trying to tell him if he wants out, he's in for a rude awakening. LOL.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM

I agree that dogs pick their families And in my odd-ball world and involvement with rescue, two of my current dogs picked me, from MILES and MILES away - one from several states away - I had never seen them before they were 'mine' But - both were good matches and both needed someone to love them unconditionally the way LIgirl and husband love Fred-the-cat

My disclaimer - The above is not the best way to adopt a dog

A few years back - we wanted to adopt a deaf Dalmatian from a very good rescue group up the road - they arranged a home visit with the dog, so we could meet her, and see her with our other dogs - we had a WONDERFUL visit with the foster mom and dog - but nothing felt 'permanent' during our visit.....and the foster mom went home with that beautiful girl and a few days later, the absolute perfect-made-to-order-doesn't-get-any-better home was found and this girl's family is over the moon with her......we just weren't 'her' family....and for her - I'm so glad we didn't try to force ourselves on her!!!

I think all you folks who adopt your pets from rescues/shelters are a notch above good people!!!!

Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
there are some dogs you click with immediately ..... and some you don't .... like dashdog, with both of mine, i knew immediately that she and then he was going to be mine.....

the day i adopted bailey, my friend and i looked at every dog in the shelter, and while many were very appealing, it wasn't until we got to her kennel and the attendant was telling us that no one was really looking at her because it seemed that most thought her markings were not appealing..... .... well, took one look at that sweet little face and knew that she was MY dog..... i went in there looking for a boy about 9-12 months old and about 30 lbs max when grown ...... walked out with a 4 month old girl who is 50 lbs at her ideal weight.......

fast forward to last labor day..... this same shelter had had a red heeler mix boy on petfinder for a while..... i had been considering another dog in the family for about 6 months, so headed on down there with bailey...... this little dude was TOTALLY dominating of her and would not quit even when she got snarky with him, so i knew he would not be a good fit...... the attendant took me around to the other dogs and towards the end of the tour, we got to dave's kennel ..... except his name was spike then..... i went in and he greeted me in his sweet sweet way and that was all she wrote...... ..... i had to FLY home to get my checkbook .... i had forgotten it.... and fly back to get him...... again, i had in mind a boy, about 2-3 years old and about 35-40 lbs..... i DID wind up with a boy this time, but he is WAAAAAY taller and longer than i originally had in mind.... and he was only 10 months old and he had lived his ENTIRE life in the shelter..... didn't even really know what toys were initially.... haven't looked back for a SECOND......

its true.... its a combination of you KNOW when you meet your dog..... because THEY pick YOU......

long post slightly longer..... i have noticed on transports that some dogs REALLY suck me in to their orbit in the few hours we are together .... others not so much.... don't have an explanation for it.... just one of life's little mysteries, i guess......

I don't want to tell my husband this but I have a feeling what happened to you (finding a dog larger than you anticipated), is going to happen to us. I just have this feeling. LOL. He's obsessed with cleaning our house and our new living room furniture and he would rather not have a large dog b/c he thinks they will ruin it b/c he sees what our cats have done over the years to our furniture. But I really think when we find the right dog, we will just fall in love (as you did) and take the dog home with us without question.

And yes, I do believe they pick you...the owner.

As for transporting dogs, after you stated that some suck you in to their orbit and other's don't it makes me realize that it's not just us that didn't feel something with this rescue. Thanks for sharing that. I appreciate it.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I agree that dogs pick their families And in my odd-ball world and involvement with rescue, two of my current dogs picked me, from MILES and MILES away - one from several states away - I had never seen them before they were 'mine' But - both were good matches and both needed someone to love them unconditionally the way LIgirl and husband love Fred-the-cat

My disclaimer - The above is not the best way to adopt a dog

I think all you folks who adopt your pets from rescues/shelters are a notch above good people!!!!
Wow, you really lucked out with never meeting your dogs but them being the right dog for you. I have noticed when I do a search on petfinder that some dogs will be listed in my area yet they really are in another state and I actually contacted the rescue org for that dog and they explained to me that they try to match you up with the dog you want but I personally feel after my experience from last night that I would need to meet the dog first. You really got lucky.

Oh yeah, Fred the cat is loved unconditionally but not by my calico, Pebbles. She hates him. He's the youngest and took over the house right away and also harasses her every day. I do feel very bad about what he does to her but I don't know what else to do. I love both of them unconditionally. Sometimes it sounds like cat fights going on in my house. Craziness!

Aww, thanks for the kind comment about adopting from rescue/shelters. I personally wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks. I also admire you for transporting, etc. That takes a lot of time, love and effort to do that for all the animals. I'm sure the animals appreciate it too.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 PM

[quote=Rottnboys;13335275]
A few years back - we wanted to adopt a deaf Dalmatian from a very good rescue group up the road - they arranged a home visit with the dog, so we could meet her, and see her with our other dogs - we had a WONDERFUL visit with the foster mom and dog - but nothing felt 'permanent' during our visit.....and the foster mom went home with that beautiful girl and a few days later, the absolute perfect-made-to-order-doesn't-get-any-better home was found and this girl's family is over the moon with her......we just weren't 'her' family....and for her - I'm so glad we didn't try to force ourselves on her!!!
/quote]

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been trying to tell myself that this will happen with the rescue dog we saw last night. I know if we don't adopt her, another person will and will spoil her rotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or