U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times

Advertisements

Animal Abuse as Clue to Additional Cruelties - NYTimes.com

The Times FRONT PAGE reports that state laws are becoming increasingly intolerant of animal abuse, including hoarding, at least somewhat because animal cruelty is so linked to other violence.
Now, I think causing suffering to any creature is cause enough, but whatever it takes...
Fry 'em, I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:41 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,854,164 times
I was just thinking, "I wish they would be harsher on people who abuse animals" As far as I have seen, most people who are arrested for animal cruelty wind up paying some kind of fine or doing community service. Basically a slap on the hand.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,448,669 times
I'd have to say the same as skel1977. Unless it is a "high profile" case, I don't really see the justice served.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,683,442 times
From the article "State lawmakers are paying especially close attention to animal hoarders — people who keep large numbers of pets without providing for their most basic needs — because these offenders are prone to recidivism and can cost counties huge sums for cleanup costs and the care of rescued animals."

In our county there is a limit of 4 animals per household. In addition, the rescue group I work with does follow up with the vet to ensure the animals we adopt out are receiving proper care and it is in the adoption contract that we will follow up and if the requirements are not met we will return and confiscate the animal.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,128,485 times
I don't know. In my mind there's a difference between animal abusers and animal hoarders. According to what I've read, someone who abuses an animal is likely to go on to harm people as well. They have trouble with anger and control, but they know exactly what they're doing.
On the other hand, hoarding has been linked to mental illness. I think that these people need help. If collecting animals past the point they can care for them is a compulsion, laws are not going to stop them. They often fail to understand the harm that they're doing, and think they are providing good care despite evidence to the contrary. They often 'love' their animals. They need counseling and perhaps medication. Too bad the mental health infrastructure in this country is such a mess.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 AM

1,688 posts, read 6,884,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I don't know. In my mind there's a difference between animal abusers and animal hoarders. According to what I've read, someone who abuses an animal is likely to go on to harm people as well. They have trouble with anger and control, but they know exactly what they're doing.
On the other hand, hoarding has been linked to mental illness. I think that these people need help. If collecting animals past the point they can care for them is a compulsion, laws are not going to stop them. They often fail to understand the harm that they're doing, and think they are providing good care despite evidence to the contrary. They often 'love' their animals. They need counseling and perhaps medication. Too bad the mental health infrastructure in this country is such a mess.
You just saved me a whole lot of typing.

In part, this article just annoyed me - nothing like a bit of hyperbole to sell your story.

Abusers and hoarders are two distinct groups and to pool them is just plain wrong.

To expect the criminal justice system to effectively deal with hoarders is to equate criminal justice and treatment for mental illness. It makes as much sense as sending schizophrenic individuals to jail, letting them do their time, and then releasing them back on to the streets... and, what? Hope for the best? Hope that they'll just continue their meds while they have no where to live, no job, no oversight? And when they don't and the delusions return and they again do something criminal, then we call all wring our hands and find the rate of "recidivism" perplexing. Or we can write articles calling for tougher new laws, as if there weren't enough laws on the books already.

If existing laws were actually enforced, if punishment for convicted abusers actually fit the crime and if the whole trial system wasn't such a joke - well, gosh, wouldn't that just be a good start?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs