Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,922 times

Advertisements

Hello, we owned a flat coated retriever, she recently passed away with me by her side, she was 12 1/2, she was truly the best dog, that breed is wonderful, she was great with our kids, very tolerant of children, just a real mellow dog, was happy just laying on the porch or being hugged or walked, we couldnt have asked for a better pet experience then her, i recommend that breed to anyone, there great dogs. i live in california and i have pretty much given up on finding another one like her, most of the breeders are out of state, if anyone knows of a flat coated breeder in california, please let me know. loosing Stormy left me crushed. dianahays@hotmail.com Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 01:58 AM

5 posts, read 34,260 times
Default New Member & Flat-coat Retriever owner

Hi all,
New to this forum and a Proud owner of a Beautiful 1 yr old female Flattie.
Her name is Angel. We live in Arizona. She won BOB in June 07 @ Flagstaff show. Boy was I ever proud of my girl..

Here is her pic from that day..
Hope to get to know all of you soon..
Kerri & Angel
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody own a Flat Coat Retriever??-angels-bob-picture-2.jpg  

Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 AM

321 posts, read 1,556,713 times
She's beautiful Kerri. How old is she in the pic? Congratulations on the win!!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 PM

5 posts, read 34,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon R. View Post
She's beautiful Kerri. How old is she in the pic? Congratulations on the win!!
Thank you, she just turned 1 yr old 9 days before that picture. Her b-day is May 30th and the show was June 9th.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:19 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Instead of creating new thread, have revive this old one.

I've not had pleasure of owning a Flat Coat, but from what I've read, seen they are excellent dogs.

I've only had black labs, goldens, and Heinz 57 mongrels, loved 'em all. Each has their own special personality. When the unfortunate time comes when beloved Shadow ambles into the great pasture, am considering a Flat Coat... so, anyone have more info/stories to share here that would be great.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:29 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,713 times
ShadowCaver, what do you want to know? Since I last posted, Boone has acquired his breed CH, has a Rally Advanced title, and a Working Certificate, which is a field title. He's also halfway to both his Junior Hunter (AKC) and Started (UKC) field titles. We're having a ball!

Just do your research and make sure you go with a reputable breeder. Check with the FCRSA (fcrsainc.org) as a starting point to find breeders. We don't have much of a problem in our breed with BYB-types, but not to say they're not out there. I'm aware of somebody mixing them with Cockers and giving them a new name, downsizing them, and that is not acceptable at all! They are meant to be a medium to large sized dog. If somebody wants something that kinda sorta looks like a Flatcoat but smaller, go to the shelter!

What are you looking for in a dog? Flatcoats are wonderful and beautiful, but they are not right for everybody. Lots of people have them as pets only, and that's fine. But personally, I like to see them used for what they're bred to do. They want to please but they also like to negotiate -- you know, see if they can get you to do it their way, LOL! So they also do pretty well in obedience, agility, tracking. Personally I can't wait to get another one and get back into the show ring as I really enjoyed showing Boone.

Feel free to ask more questions -- I'm always happy to talk about these wonderful dogs.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:52 PM

26 posts, read 128,290 times
Default Flat-Coated Retriever

Hello all. I currently have 2 flat-coated retrievers. 1 black and 1 liver. I would love to add a yellow flatcoat to my breeding program! Are there any flatcoat lovers on the board, this is my first post.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Welcome!
Do a Search of this forum.
There indeed has been discussion of flat-coats here.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:29 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4FlatCoats View Post
Hello all. I currently have 2 flat-coated retrievers. 1 black and 1 liver. I would love to add a yellow flatcoat to my breeding program! Are there any flatcoat lovers on the board, this is my first post.
Welcome! I'm a Chessie lover personally but I'm sure that there are more Flat coat lovers out there!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
My dear dog who died three years ago yesterday was a Flat Coated and I miss her everyday. It was too painful for me to get another Flat Coated so we went with the Newfoundland...both have such sweet dispositions...please post pics if you can! Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs