Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,944 times

Advertisements

We just adopted a beautiful 5 month old German Shepherd and "terrier" mix puppy that we named Bailey. The only problem with that assumption is that almost every dog in shelters here is labeled terrier mix. I would love to know what she is mixed with, but its anybody's guess! Let me know what you think she is.

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh340/wewillfall2gether/bailey2.jpg (broken link)

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh340/wewillfall2gether/bailey.jpg (broken link)

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh340/wewillfall2gether/baileyandlouie.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:13 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
I'm stumped. If there is terrier in her - I don't see it. I look at her and only see Shepherd and a very, very cute doggie!

Congrats on your adoption - she is a beauty!

Old 03-19-2010, 05:41 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I'm stumped. If there is terrier in her - I don't see it. I look at her and only see Shepherd and a very, very cute doggie!

Congrats on your adoption - she is a beauty!

same here......

Old 03-19-2010, 08:40 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,905 times
Given that the logistics of a Terrier-GSD cross are beyond the scope of my imagination...(thankfully)...I'll say they got the Terrier idea from those weather-vane-esque type ears, possibly? Or maybe I'm just partial to noticing them because I LOVE THEM!!!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 AM

191 posts, read 349,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
I'll say they got the Terrier idea from those weather-vane-esque type ears, possibly? Or maybe I'm just partial to noticing them because I LOVE THEM!!!
That's all I notice too, other than that she looks all Shepherd. Maybe as she matures it'll show up more, or more than likely the shelter is just wrong.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:44 PM

107 posts, read 357,021 times
Shelters never have a clue to what dog breed they have..

We found a "Newfie" in a shelter last year and yes the dog was fluffy and a good size but her weight was off for a Newf. After about 4 months and the dog was clearly not the size she should be I was looking in my North American Gun dog book and BAM! There is my wife's dog...not a Newfie but a Flat Coat retriever.. (they started out as Newfoundland and black lab bred together) let me tell you she's roughly 70 pounds and a blast. Now I have another story were the shelter "thought' they had a Setter (Irish) and when I picked her up I could tell she looked like a Setter but not as tall as one.. after speaking to the Red-White setter club and a Irish setter owner, I did find out that this dog is a German Longhair pointer! How I found out was calling the only two breeders in North America, which they asked me what state did you pay the dog, when I told them they were clearly angry saying " They are not suppose to be breeding that dog" Opppss.. They get nearly a $1000 for those dogs and I got her $15! LoL.. also the best dog I has the privilege of owning. so do the shelters actually know what they have, NO--rarely..but sometimes it's a blessing they don't know!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:28 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Given that the logistics of a Terrier-GSD cross are beyond the scope of my imagination...(thankfully)...I'll say they got the Terrier idea from those weather-vane-esque type ears, possibly? Or maybe I'm just partial to noticing them because I LOVE THEM!!!
there are some bigger terriers!

my childhood dog was definitely some kind of terrier/gsd mix. i'll see if i can dig up and scan a photo. he had a terrier face and gsd markings. that being said, i don't see terrier in that dog. guessing mixes is kind of a crapshoot even when experts are involved, so it's not surprising that shelters often pick some wacky breeds to describe dogs.

for instance, i know the mix of this dog (pictured at 7 months):

and i can almost guarantee no one could guess it. you're all welcome to try though!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:45 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Portuguese water dog or maybe Schnoodle - ?

Old 03-19-2010, 03:11 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,088 times
Yeah I'd go with Schnauzer and Poodle too.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:49 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
you both got the poodle part, but not the other part!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs