U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:00 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,408,296 times

Advertisements

So I got a hold of someone from the BT rescue to see if they can offer some advice on how to train this breed. She automatically assumed I'm some idiot who saw a newspaper ad for a cute puppy and went to buy him and now don't want to deal with him. After she heard my story, she became nice. She said BTs are part of the terrier group and extremely active, destructive and hyper their entire lives. If W was surrendered, he would most likely be euthanized because they can't afford medical care for a dog with such behavior issues and there aren't many people lining up for a dog like him. Apparently, this is a very common reason BTs are dumped in rescues and shelters. Obviously, I never wanted a BT and was planning on getting another Bulldog later this year, so this is all news to me. I still don't really know anything about the breed, other than they are destructive and hyper. I did tons of research before even considering a Bulldog and knew what to expect and he is perfect. Lesson learned.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:01 PM

4,713 posts, read 10,173,374 times
I got Dash at 1 year of age and the plastic crates made him very anxious at first so he did much better in a wire metal crate. I think the wire ones are also harder to escape from as even with Jazz trying to free him from the outside it was impossible. Jazz had watched me do the crate enough times that with her being a smart dog she had the right idea of how to unlock it but never quite got the actual movement of the lock right but she would try if he was crated and she wanted him out she would have the lock lever in her mouth and he would be wagging his butt like crazy believing his sister could get him out. Jazz has always been fasinated by movement even door knobs turning so I figure in her past life she was some sort of mechanical engineer. She will take a skate board from a kid push it and look under it while she does so like she is trying to see exactly how the thing works, same with the agility teeter. Her first time on the teeter she did it perfect then raced over and crawled under it to take a look at it, I told the instructor " oh oh she realized she can use this movement to make a catapult to use on the cat "

I also think the wire crates being heavier and not having the plastic bottom do a better job of staying put while jumping around inside the plastic ones can move them across the floor. I just feel the wire ones eem to work better for an escape artist as long as it is not a cheap one that is poorly made.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,488,644 times
Was Winston severly beaten by a former owner? Could he have suffered some kind of brain damage from the experience like my dog?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
Was Winston severly beaten by a former owner? Could he have suffered some kind of brain damage from the experience like my dog?
He was definitely hit when he pooped/peed in the house. And the crate was used as punishment, that's all I know. But severely? I'm not so sure, I think he just more like spanked him. Not saying it's right either way, but I don't think he would hit him hard enough to cause serious brain damage. Though at times, I wonder...

Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,488,644 times
Ewww..they used the crate as punishment. No wonder he's freaking out. Do you know if he has any safe haven in your house yet? Like in back of the couch or under a bed? I feel terrible that you are going through this, and terrible for Winston since he's just a puppy. I asked if he had brain damage, because there are, in my mind, no bad dogs that can't be helped, but there are a few damaged dogs that cannot be fixed, unfortunately.

Last edited by Col.W.Deering; 03-19-2010 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 07:27 PM

1,203 posts, read 3,871,503 times
Perhaps you could try the wire crate instead of the one you have. If he had the same kind at his old house or its the same crate he's probably associating it with being bad or punishment. Just a thought.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:27 PM

He's really awesome when we are home. Plays with PC, sits on my lap when we watch tv, just a truly awesome dog. These issues only arise if I leave the house. But I can't be expected to be home 24/7 because of my dog. Though this week, I did cancel a lot of my plans for fear of destruction and it's almost like he knows this. My friends think I'm crazy and even showed up a few nights ago to drag me out, but I didn't want to risk leaving.

When we're home, he just chills out with PC. They both love to lie under the coffee table (it has two levels and they go on the bottom one.) Like right now, they are wrestling on the floor. But, the second I leave, it's like a different dog emerges. The thing is, he likes playing PC more than me. So what I don't understand is why he still did all those destructive things when I didn't crate him and left him out in the open with PC. You'd think PC would be company enough, it's not like I'm playing with him as much as his brother.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,172,892 times
As a life long owner of Bostons, this is not typical behavior and it's not fair to malign the breed. I have never, ever, had one do anything like you have pictured but I have known other owners that have. Your remark about why so many are in shelters is also unfair. IMHO, a dog is only as good as it's owner and many people who get dogs do not do their homework about the breed and then dump them with the first bit of bad behavior.

I wish I had the magic answer for you, but it's evident Winston is a tortured soul and just doesn't know how to be the good boy he was meant to be. It's pretty evident, to me, that he has been severely mistreated. I'm also aware most breed specific rescues are overflowing right now. Please give me 24/48 hours to make a few calls and see if I can find a place for Winston to go. I work in BT rescue and may have some luck. If you turn him into the HS or local pound, he will either be PTS or if adopted, will likely be abused again.

"If" Winston is placed with the right people, I have every confidence he can overcome his issues. If you would pm me your email address, it will speed up communication.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,086,311 times
I know two people who had good results using Clomicalm. Both were cases where the dogs had been abused previously and they basically had panic attacks and were very destructive when left alone, even for short periods of time. Both owners are people who would not normally medicate a dog to try and correct a behavior; but, in both cases they had tried everything else, including hiring a behaviorist, with nothing to show for it. It was literally a matter of life or death for these dogs. Clomicalm was the only thing that worked.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
As a life long owner of Bostons, this is not typical behavior and it's not fair to malign the breed. I have never, ever, had one do anything like you have pictured but I have known other owners that have. Your remark about why so many are in shelters is also unfair. IMHO, a dog is only as good as it's owner and many people who get dogs do not do their homework about the breed and then dump them with the first bit of bad behavior.

I wish I had the magic answer for you, but it's evident Winston is a tortured soul and just doesn't know how to be the good boy he was meant to be. It's pretty evident, to me, that he has been severely mistreated. I'm also aware most breed specific rescues are overflowing right now. Please give me 24/48 hours to make a few calls and see if I can find a place for Winston to go. I work in BT rescue and may have some luck. If you turn him into the HS or local pound, he will either be PTS or if adopted, will likely be abused again.

"If" Winston is placed with the right people, I have every confidence he can overcome his issues. If you would pm me your email address, it will speed up communication.
We are not looking to re-home him. As I specified, I contacted the rescue for tips, not to dump him and I was just reiterating what the woman has told me regarding the breed. She clearly knows the breed, since she's been working with them for over 20 years, and that is what she has told me.

To say a dog is only as good as its owner might work for a one dog household. We had PC since he was 8 weeks old and he is absolutely wonderful. Loves people, loves all dogs, loves road trips, just a happy go lucky kinda dog. He's very well-known at the parks and in our neighborhood and is a pleasure to be around. We are doing the same exact things with W that we do with PC, so he is raised in an identical environment. Brings to mind the whole nature vs. nurture argument, but I won't go there. We have one that can be left unattended and has never destroyed a thing in our house, even as a puppy. And one that will destroy anything in site, if left for any amount of time. I doubt that's my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
I know two people who had good results using Clomicalm. Both were cases where the dogs had been abused previously and they basically had panic attacks and were very destructive when left alone, even for short periods of time. Both owners are people who would not normally medicate a dog to try and correct a behavior; but, in both cases they had tried everything else, including hiring a behaviorist, with nothing to show for it. It was literally a matter of life or death for these dogs. Clomicalm was the only thing that worked.
Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs