U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 03:50 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,417,055 times

Advertisements

So for those following the saga, you know what we are going through. For those not, here is one of the OPs:

More issues with the Boston

I left for an hour today and put him in the crate in the bathroom, as the vet suggested. He's been breaking out and we figured if it is facing the wall, he can't. Boy, were we wrong. He completely destroyed the bathroom and everything in it. Our stuff is replaceable but he destroyed actual molding, doors, counters, etc. I'm assuming this is why we paid a $3000 security deposit and will not be getting it back.

We have tried every suggestion and noting is working. My husband has been on a business trip all week, is coming home for the weekend, and leaving again on Sunday. I don't even want to think what he's going to do when he sees this. Our dog has never done this and it has been a nightmare since W came to live with us. Even if we gave him to a rescue, who would want a dog that destroys the house, pees and poops when you leave him alone and breaks out of his crate? Basically, I cannot leave the house because he will destroy it if I do.

Last night, I took him out around 11:30, where he peed a significant amount. The second we walk in the door, he runs to my other dog's bed and pees i it! He also peed his bed for the first time the night before that and I had to throw it out because it soiled the foam. Any ideas are very welcomed because at this point, I'm ready to give him up. I can't have a dog that doesn't respond to anything. Here is today's damage. I can't live like this anymore, this is not our house. How he was able to get so high up to destroy the molding, I have no idea. Even on his hind legs, he is not that tall. I can see why he's been passed from home to home now.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:13 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,880,213 times
*sigh*....and lots of ((HUGS))...You already know what my solution was. Think about it! D (hubby) is going to be upset and rightfully so. M might have had the best idea about boarding for the night. Till the smoke blows over.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:35 PM

30,056 posts, read 16,613,591 times
That is a lot of destruction. I've never dealt with anything like that - but I have smaller dogs.

I would think that your Vet could give him something to calm him down when you must leave the house.

Isn't there a doggie valium? I mean, you are nearing the end of your rope, I would think. I would be overwhelmed as well.

I would definitely be asking the vet for something; I don't know what else you can do at this point.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:38 PM

19,823 posts, read 56,018,889 times
If there is a Boston rescue in the area AND they agree to take him and work on his issues, that would be the best solution. Otherwise, hard as it is to say, I'd rather see him euth'd than go to another owner who might beat him over his issues; or if not the very next owner, the one after that.. So sorry you are going through this. So sorry for both dogs, too!

Old 03-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
*sigh*....and lots of ((HUGS))...You already know what my solution was. Think about it! D (hubby) is going to be upset and rightfully so. M might have had the best idea about boarding for the night. Till the smoke blows over.
I'll gladly ship him to TX!

Here's a video (just sound) of what he does when in his crate, 30 seconds after being put in there. The metal sound? That's him banging his body against it and breaking out of it...took exactly one minute to break out of his crate, even though it's pressed against the wall, with the door latched. I guess I know why the call them Boston terrors....

YouTube - Winston being Winston

Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That is a lot of destruction. I've never dealt with anything like that - but I have smaller dogs.

I would think that your Vet could give him something to calm him down when you must leave the house.

Isn't there a doggie valium? I mean, you are nearing the end of your rope, I would think. I would be overwhelmed as well.

I would definitely be asking the vet for something; I don't know what else you can do at this point.
I took him to the vet on Monday and he said not to use drugs because of his age (8 months). He's small, only 17 lbs, and does all this damage every single time we leave! It takes him a minute to escape the crate, as you see in the video, so he has almost an hour to chew up the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If there is a Boston rescue in the area AND they agree to take him and work on his issues, that would be the best solution. Otherwise, hard as it is to say, I'd rather see him euth'd than go to another owner who might beat him over his issues; or if not the very next owner, the one after that.. So sorry you are going through this. So sorry for both dogs, too!
We're part of the Boston Meetup and the local rescue has been posting saying that they need foster homes. Until then, they won't take any more surrenders. I doubt he's highly adoptable and I hate when rescues lie about issues. Housebreaking would be one thing and totally expected at first, but I don't know many people that line up to adopt a dog that destroys the house!

Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,490,316 times
Wow, that's a lot of damage. You must have been horrified. I am sorry to hear about this latest episode. I know you want to do the best thing for this dog and he isn't making anything easier for you.

If it were me, (even though its easy being the outsider and not having to deal with it) I would probably get some doggie Xanax or Valium and see if that would help. I'd get him some kind of medicine asap from the vet since nothing else has seemed to work.

As far as giving him to a boston rescue, I don't know if they would even attempt to adopt him out given his history. Such a shame really, since he is such a character.

WOOPS....Posted after your reply about the meds from the vets. I'd get a second opinion about giving Valium to an 8 month old, given the circumstances.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:04 PM

Well . . depending on what you decide to do - I would tell the Vet that either he gives you something or the dog has to go. It's a last resort kind of thing and let him know that you are at your wit's end.

I remember one time when I moved to a new apartment - I got complaints about my maltese barking nonstop. I didn't know what to do - my Vet sent me a few pills to 'calm him down until he gets used to things.' Although I felt horrible - it worked. The pills made him sleepy; he slept while I was gone and he got used to his new environment.

Maybe not the best solution but it was better than me getting kicked out or having to get rid of Casper. (Which was never gonna happen; he was my first 'baby' before I had my son.)

But I do remember how desperate I felt - even over that - which is nothing compared to what you are dealing with. I feel for you; this is a very tough situation. Let your Vet know that you are going to have to either try and re-home this dog or have him PTS - if the behavior won't stop. You've tried everything - he needs to give you some medication to calm the dog down. Just for a while.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 PM

Whoops. What Col Deering said!

Old 03-19-2010, 06:17 PM

I called the vet and they are already closed until Monday. So I called my friend, who is best friends with a vet a mile down the road to see if he can get me a prescription for something, anything. I have to pick up my husband from the airport in 2 hours and then we are going to dinner. Let's just say that if we come home to what I came home to, he won't be as calm as me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs