Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 17,859 times

Advertisements

My 3 yr old shih tzu has had the same thing happen to him two times. The first time was approx. a month ago. Started one night while he was in the family room with us. He left the room and went under the kitchen table and didn't want me to touch him which is highly unusual for him. This went on for appxox 1 hour and got less and less. It happened again last night, same thing. He acts like he feels good, playing, etc. I'm going to call my Vet today and see what she suggests.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,164 times
My dog has seizures, sometimes the grand mal type. The first time I saw this, I told my boys and they told me he had been doing that for two years. I don't think it was really that long, but he did have really bad seizure activity that the vet put him on medicine for.

Other times, my dog just shivers for a long time, I believe this is also a minor seizure. My dog seems to try to get to me when he is starting to have a seizure like he wants help.

He does have seizures even on medication once in a while, usually because I have not given him the medicine at the same time every day.

Tiny was 14 years old in February.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 16,369 times
Question jerking motions in my dog's neck and head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My 14 year old labrador developed a new symptom yesterday. His body has a mild jerk every few seconds. It reminds me of when we have hicups, but it's not hicups. He's not in pain, but he is uncomfortable because he can't rest.

I was taking a nap when it first started. He let me know he was having a problem by jumping up on the bed and laying on top of me! I scooted over and layed there with him. I noticed that his body would do a little jolt and he would change position. Then it would jolt again and he would change position again. It's like he thought he just needed to change position to make it go away. No position made it stop. He had a confused look on his face. I petted him to reassure him.

My phone rang. My son needed me to pick him up. While I was getting dressed, I reached down and touched him while he was standing. The jolting was still there so it's not something that only happens while resting. When I was leaving the house, he started barking----like DON'T LEAVE ME! I felt terrible but my son had been waiting at the museum for an hour.

When I got home, the jolting was done. But today it started again while we were on the sofa watching TV! It's very subtle, but he's uncomfortable. He can't rest. I gave him a Benedryl and I called the vet. The vet tech said that sometimes puppies get a spasm in their stomachs that appear to have hicups. He thought it was a wise idea that I gave him Benedryl----might help him get some rest. We agreed that he should be seen on Monday.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone else has had an old dog with a similar symptom?
I have a 13 yr old pug Richie has started having white ticks in his neck and head and I was wondering if you ever found out what was going on with your dog

Old 12-21-2014, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 15,222 times
We have a 2 yr old lab/boxer mix and the last two days she keeps having these same random twitches. I thought she was hiccuping bit not. She is wide awake when happens. She also has been having body twitches that start in her face and her breathing gets alittle strange then her body chimes in..this has been for several months. Happens in or put of sleep sometimes her eyes roll up. She is fine otherwise..any thoughts??.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 15,060 times
My one year old Lab is having this problem right now and it's seems to have gone away once we fed him.
I'm worried because he is at such a young age to be jolting his head uncontroablly. We plan to take him to the vet this week, any other advice?

Old 01-29-2015, 11:47 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
My 15 yo Pyranees/Husky mix does this "hiccup" thing too. It lasts for about 10 minutes, then she will give a big yawn and it passes. This seems to be normal enough behavior , from reading here. However, since it seemed more bothersome with your dog , checking with the vet was a good move.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:24 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJca View Post
My one year old Lab is having this problem right now and it's seems to have gone away once we fed him.
I'm worried because he is at such a young age to be jolting his head uncontroablly. We plan to take him to the vet this week, any other advice?
No, given his age I think the best thing to do is go to the vet. Hope it turns out OK, please let us know.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 15,691 times
Please take your dog to a Dog Chiropractor (many also treat horses). If this is the problem it will take a good dog chiropractor a couple of minutes to put the shoulder (or whatever) in place. This will straighten out the back bone and relieve your dog of trembling leg(s), rapid loss of condition, flicking/jerking head etc. This injury usually happens because of a fall, car accident etc. Be careful though Dog chiropractors are like vets, some good , some not so good. Do not attempt this yourself! Even though it may look easy your dog needs an experienced dog Chiro otherwise you could do your dog more damage.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 14,648 times
my lil yorkie daisy is 2 and she does the same thing and you are describing just what it looks like with her, her whole body jumps to the point i am afraid she will fall out of the chair, vet says a pinched nerve and she was on rimydl for 2 weeks and good , but now they are increasing and vet says its not a seizure..so dont know what to do except reassure her and pet her when its happening

Old 06-28-2015, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 25,788 times
My australian shepher, Kiva, is a few months shy of 2 years old. For the first time, she was napping today and began the "hiccup" motion that wasn't hiccups. It continued after she woke up and lasted about 2 minutes total. She seemed alert and fine other than the jerking motion. We called the vet and they said to keep an eye on her. This evening it happened again. Again, it lasted about 2-3minutes and she was alert, responsive and fine other than the "hiccup" motion. We have an appt with the vet scheduled but can't be fit in for just over a week. I am hoping for some answers before then. Any help would be great! Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs