U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 PM

399 posts, read 1,962,442 times

Advertisements

I worked for a vet at an emer clinic and he had a greyhound in an apartment. Best dog he ever had, PERFECT house dogs...nice and quiet, lazy inside...took on walks and runs a few times daily. He convinced me how perfect they are, and his was rescued, too. Greyhounds tend to have AWFUL teeth, but nothing that daily brushing and dentals won't take care of. And, despite the nice short coat, they shed A LOT. But those are the only few negatives that I could think of and they certainly don't outweigh the positives of that rescued breed. Plus, they are GORGEOUS and prance so cute on a walk!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,401,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
What about just a medium sized mutt - whatever personality fits you best at your nearest shelter? They will make recommendations since they observe the dogs there.
The biggest mistake people make is to get too large of a dog. And they have trouble walking them, so even if they need exercise, they can't give it to the dog, because they cannot handle the dog.
Actually any dog is do-able IF you take it to obedience classes and teach the dog to be a good citizen. Beside the classes are fun and you meet lots of nice people.
Good luck!
Again, great advice from everyone on this thread. Here is my plan. This weekend I am going to walk through a few animal shelters to look at mutts/strays that were picked up. I also have talked to someone from a local greyhound rescue league, and next week I am going to walk through a retired racing greyhound kennel as well. Hopefully a week from now I will have made a decision.

Thanks again for all the advice. I will post a picture of the dog as soon as I take it home.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:58 PM

4,707 posts, read 10,141,797 times
Good luck on finding a new buddy.

I have had hearding breeds for years and love them and I do live in a condo so know that yes it is alot of work to keep them happy and content. I am getting older now and when Dash developed Cancer I decided that I needed a break from such time consuming breeds, Jazz will be 14 in May and she is still quite a time consumer.Anyway I decided to try different type of dog and got a sighthound called a Silken wind hound. Great dog and does fantastic living in a condo with out me spending the whole day out with him. Greyhounds would be alot like him .He gets his walks and I try to take him to the dog park or the dog beach for a run everyday then he lays around as the total cuddle bug couch potatoe. In contrast Jazz and Dash could spend hours at the dog park or doing agility and rest on the short drive home and when we did get home be looking at me like " what now?Gotto havemore fun. Lets go". It is nice to come home and have a dog that wants nothing better then to cuddle up with you and watch TV. He will play with toys but is nit in my face 24/7 with them like old Lady Jazz is. Sight hounds do not tend to bark at outside noises so are not a watch dog but living in a condo it beats having a dog that barks at every noise.

A little more difficult to train as they get bored with repitition while the herders will do the same thing all day if you ask. Dazzle will do something a couple times then look at me like " weren't you watching I just did that 3 Xs. He did get his CGC and we are working on agility so by keeping things fun they can be trained it is just a bit different, He is a fantastic dog and I am enjoying the chance in pace. With the sighthounds you get that added bonus of that great sight hound grin can't beat it. He is very funny too and keeps me laughing. While I think herders will always be my all time favorites as that bond with them can be so incredible I think the sight hounds especailly the Silken Windhounds come close behind.

Hope you can find a dog that fits your life style as they then just make life that much better.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 702 times
Default We adopted Maddy!

Fuzzface! We just adopted her yesterday Here's the link where we found her; GRFT Available Hounds Same dog right? She's amazing, very sweet and has mostly just laid around. Here is a pic of her before being forced to get off her ***** and get out of the car, haha. http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs426.snc3/24582_956843994938_13709877_52337426_3875868_n.jpg (broken link)

I decided to google her name and found this thread.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:29 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,687,370 times
i'm so glad someone adopted her; i really couldn't have at this point in my life.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:13 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,410,337 times
I think an adult to senior Boston Terrier would fit the bill perfectly. They are big dogs in townhouse sized bodies. There are BT rescue groups. Read up on them, they are very cool dogs and don't need expensive grooming, live relatively long lives.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 PM

16,571 posts, read 14,026,756 times
I am going to be the unpopular one here and go out on a limb and recommend looking into an amstaff (aka pitbull). Older amstaffs can be fairly mellow (especially the males) thought they are by no means the lay about that greyhounds can be, affectionate, intelligent, and if you get them from a rescue you can be as sure of their temperament as any other breed. So you can still get the dog that will chase a ball, go for a walk, etc without the nuttiness of the herding breeds (I know I have two border collies) and older amstaffs have almost no shot of getting adopted.

If you want to see what an older amstaff is like see Daddy on the dog whisperer. He is a doggy saint. My brother has two pits and while Lady is quite active, Dizzy is a couch potato unless you put a tennis ball in front of him.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 PM

848 posts, read 1,676,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am going to be the unpopular one here and go out on a limb and recommend looking into an amstaff (aka pitbull).
I would not recommend ANY pitt or pitt-mix unless:

1. the OP knows for certain there is no breed specific ban in the city/county/state.

2. the OP has approval from home-owners insurance for said breed.

Without checking into the above, the OP could be in for headaches and trouble.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 PM

16,571 posts, read 14,026,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
I would not recommend ANY pitt or pitt-mix unless:

1. the OP knows for certain there is no breed specific ban in the city/county/state.

2. the OP has approval from home-owners insurance for said breed.

Without checking into the above, the OP could be in for headaches and trouble.
Same goes for any bully breed including rottweilers and boxers to even akitas and chows. Amstaffs get a bad rap but no one ever mentions the insurance issue when its rotties or dobies and they are on those breed ban lists almost every time pits are.

Ah well, its human nature I suppose.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:07 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,687,370 times
i don't think a recommendation of an amstaff or other "pit bull" breed or mix would be too unpopular on this board! most people on here have a reasonable view of pits. it is an unfortunate fact that you have to watch out for breed bans and insurance restrictions when you have those breeds (among others) though.

that being said, i believe hnsq is from pennsylvania, and it is not possible to enact a breed ban under our state constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs