Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:53 PM

23 posts, read 72,218 times

Advertisements

I am really glad someone posted this question, I have never had a large dog before now, and my back yard has just sprung some muddy spots
Sadie is only 35lbs but she likes to run around the above ground pool as fast as she can! She comes in with mud splatters down each side of her! My husband (who does not think this is cute) is getting a little dis-enchanted with this activity. I was thinking of buying some sod, but I know this part of the yard grows like crazy in the summer (splashing pool water) so this would be a little silly.....I will check on the seedless hay idea. It was ok when the ground was frozen and covered with snow, but now....geezzzz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 04:06 AM

18,608 posts, read 33,180,797 times
I have gravel over sand in my smaller yard (and lawn over clay in the larger yard). The gravel gets pushed down into the muck and eventually I need more. I actually saved a lot of chewed-up bones and pounded them into the mud to make a solid layer.
I also keep a "sacrificial towel" by the back door and chirp, "Let's do feet" when they come in.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:46 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,236,786 times
Straw & hay are two different things.

I wouldn't use hay...too many weeds & things from the pastures.
We've never had problems with straw. Use it many times a year, all depending on rain/snow/mud issues.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:32 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,382,358 times
Leaving your grass a bit long going into winter and not cutting it short also helps with this problem as the longer grass adds a layer of protection to the soil.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:04 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,980,545 times
I have a large backyard but the 1/3 closest to the house stayed dirt/mud no matter how much grass seed I put down. I have 2 dogs plus I fostered many others so it was a lose lose situation. 2 years ago I finally put in rock with gravel and paver walkways - it covers the entire 1/3 of my yard. What a difference! No more mud or that fine dirt/dust that use to get trapped in their coat (until they came inside). The dogs stay cleaner and so does the house.

Rock by itself is hard on their feet but the paver/gravel gives them a softer path to walk and a means to lose the dirt before they get to the door. Be sure to use something that doesn't cling to their coat or you will just have a different problem.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,833,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I don't know if it is the same thing but currently all home improvement/lawn care departments sell bags of this stuff that looks like fluffy shredded newspaper. You just take it out with one hand and sort of shake it across the area you want to cover. water it and leave it and it grows. So far they only make it in affordable size for 'patches' of grass and not whole yards (looks like that stuff you can have sprayed on your bare lawn by companies) I've used it where I've torn out bushes and things and the stuff really works and there is no clean up! You are basically getting seed and biodegradable cover all in one.

It's called "Patchmaster".

Patchmaster - Grass Seed - Scotts - Scotts Miracle-Gro

Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 AM

19,291 posts, read 9,388,430 times
No, it's not "Patchmaster" [fluffy green stuff]. I've tried that too. That made the parts in my yard where I used it, mossy-like.

This is newer than "Patchmaster". I've never seen this before, unless it was re-formulated and re-packaged? I saw it at Lowes and Home Depot this past weekend. I bought it but haven't been able to get out do it yet. Hopefully this coming weekend I can try it in a few particular areas of concern. Sorry wish I could run home and check the name of it for ya.
Somebody on here might know though and can respond quicker.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,192,498 times
You are going to have to move. GSD's desreve better than muddy yards. ;-)

Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM

102 posts, read 538,523 times
Just wanted to say thank you so much for all of the great replies and ideas. And I write this follow-up on yet another soggy, rainy day outside -- ugh!

I had to laugh about a couple of the comments: "Sacrificial towel" -- yep, we always have several of those out back for our boy's paws and belly. This year has become so ridiculous, though, we can't even let him in our backyard at all... and it's been this way for weeks now. Enough!

Thanks again for the words of wisdom!

Old 03-28-2010, 01:32 PM

19,291 posts, read 9,388,430 times
I'm home now and remembered (surprisingly) to check the name of that product. It's called: Scott's Easy Seed. It's a combo mulch, seed and fertilizer. It comes in a gold carry handle container but I believe I've seen bags as well. It says "NEW". Just need sunshine and water. That's 1 out of two. It's overcast and rainy here so I haven't had any time to do what I wanted w/ regard to the yard (less picking up doggie doo).

Any one else seen and tried this yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs