Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:16 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,990,047 times

Advertisements

Our Vizsla is "Buggah" because he pesters us and everyone else on a regular basis.
Attached Thumbnails
How did your dog get its name?-buggkisses2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 03:53 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,112,393 times
My first shar-pie was named Biscuit. My brother was playing with this wrinkled puppy on the floor and said the word buscuit and I immediately said, "THAT'S IT! That's her name." She was actually the color and size of a Biscuit. Unfortunately Buscuit was hit and killed at a year old.

Her playmate, a cocker spainel, was much too easy, she was born on Valentine's Day so obviouly she was named Valentine. Somehow though I started calling her nugget becasue she was the color of a chicken mcnugget, but she responds to both names.

I have a shar-pei mixed with God knows what and I was calling her 'tiny one' like, 'come her tiny one or little one." Tiny turned into Teeny that turned into Ni ni which ultimately became Nina after the singer Nina Simone.

My second shar-pei we named Sydney - again with my brother's help because he thought she looked like our accountant named Sidney . He took my glasses and put them on her and said 'see'....and she did.

Ozzie (Oz) was one of my foster dogs (min pin) so I had been calling him that while I fostered him and just never changed it...it wasn't a name I would have chose - but I figure it doesn't matter because he doesn't come when I call him no matter what name he has. I too have some choice 'pet-names' for him, like the time I was on the phone and my cocker was standing there wanting to go out and mister-smarty-pants Oz walked right up to her, lifted his leg and peed on her. So, insert your choice of explatives here _______ or 'you little p*ss-ant' running through my head.

I get to name a lot of foster dogs and usually name them something from space or the weather like Orion, Jupiter, Neptune, Thunder....a couple exceptions were the perfect example of every worse trait you ever heard about jack russell terriers and her name was 'oh, shut yer pie hole' and a pure white jack russell that was really, really calm and just the white and pink color with the way he walked I started calling him 'Piglet' Because he looked exactly like a baby pig. Of course they had other names - but I never used them. My very first foster was named velvet because her reddish coat looked like Velvet.

Last edited by Thursday007; 03-23-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 04:55 PM

372 posts, read 1,225,176 times
My very first dogs I had, when I was 5, reflected my age; I named them Jack and Jill!
Fast forward to the 90's, when we got our Westie. My daughter named her Sugar, since she was white and my daughter just finished a kids cooking class right before we picked her up!!
And now we have our terrific English Labrador, named Remus, 10 months old. He was named by both my daughters after a character in Harry Potter (they're both fanatics of the series/movies). They first wanted Sirius, another character, but we thought many would think he was a "serious" dog. So their second choice is the one that stuck - Remus J. Lupin, his full name!

Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 PM

298 posts, read 702,353 times
Always tried for "English" names for our collies. Have had Chaucer;brothers Holmes and Watson; Raleigh (after Sir Walter). Shelby was rescued and already knew her name so we kept it. Husband named Marli who was rescued around Christmas and named from "A Christmas Carol" with a girly spelling. Our old gal blue merle is Blue (another "original" choice) but she does have one blue eye and one brown eye. Baxter was named at the rescue and it just seemed to suit him so we kept it. Of course everyone has had silly nicknames from Boo Boo to Princess Moo to Roo Roo. Others are even sillier so I won't admit to them.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,367,200 times
Default How did my dogs get their names?

I gave it to them.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:14 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,530,339 times
Buster was 8 weeks old when I got him and didn't really have a name. The guy I got him from had a neighbor that named him Cade, but I thought it sounded to much like Cake so I changed it. I didn't know what to call him for 24 hours and I said Buster and he cocked his head to the side....so it stuck.

Bella came to us at 3 months from a rescue and they called her Star, but it just didn't fit her, nor did I like it. My boyfriend and I were going through B names cuz I wanted both dogs named with a B....which probably turned out to be a bad idea in the end because my boyfriend has a thick Boston accent so when he says "bubba" which is Busters nick name Bella would come running, or vice versa lol Bella fits her name though, she's a princess for sure!

Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,633,579 times
Ben. My 20 year old miracle man. He wandered into our yard-don't know how he got through the fence. A terrier mixed mutt. After taking him to the Humane Society to see if someone would claim him, we decided we would go get him if he was still there. He was. But we were the first ones in the door after the three day waiting period.

We lived in Ft. Lauderdale at the time and my ex, the kids and I went to the Florida Marlins baseball games. When they first started they had a catcher named Benito Santiago. When he would bat they would say it name and really drag it out-B e n i t o S a n t i a g oooooooooo.

My kids loved that. Time to name the new guy. Ex suggests Benny for the bb player. I want Odie. I lost.

Sometimes he is just Ben. My new husband and my daughter call him Bunny, a nickname I came up with years ago because he used to sit up on his hind legs like a bunny.
My son still calls him Benny or Ben. I call him Bunny but mostly I call him my Moochieman for all the kisses he used to give me. He answers to all of them.

Oh. And I named my car Odie.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,622,042 times
I do rescue and name all my fosters with a name that has a long "O" sound b/c our last name is Czech and hard to say, starts with O. We've had many dogs with O-names.

Our personal dogs are rescues too. Our 8 year old boxer came with the name "Tabby" and we didn't want to confuse her so we named her Tabitha, Tabi is her nickname. LOL!

We also have Leo and Opie; our boston terrier boys. Opie is a red boy with a freckle face and reminded us of Opie on the old Andy Griffith show.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 PM

22,651 posts, read 6,398,538 times
2 previous dachshunds:
Squatty, squatted when he peed.
Spongy, absorbed all the attention he could get.

Caesar the peke:
A dog that rules:
"Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's"

At the time other choices were Frasier and Niles,
after the TV show I liked.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,296,275 times
As a puppy, Bandit had a very pronounced mask: So I named him Bandit because of his mask.

But as he grew up, his mask faded and disappeared completely:

So now I say that I named him Bandit because he stole my heart. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Niftybergin/Love_new.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs