Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:43 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
When I walk my dog,I MAKE SURE she doesnt go on others lawns! If she has to go that bad she will just have to go on the side walk. Peeing on grass kills it..I dont want to kill others grass lawns. Dont let you dog walk willy nilly and run and poop on lawns,just keep them on the sidewalks and pick it up! And yes,mine will pee on the sidewalk if she has to go that bad. If she pees before the walk there is no need for her to pee again till after. Poop?Ya never know when thats gonna happen!

Greenchili
there is no sidewalk in the neighborhood i'm talking about. and as i said in my first post, my dog is averse to going on concrete. i guess i could train her to do it, but it seems silly when the only time it comes into play is when we visit my in-laws a couple of times a year. but that's just my individual situation.

also, i find having the dog go on the sidewalk kind of grosser than going on the edge of someone's lawn. pee just stays there in a pool, and poop usually leaves a residue even if you pick it up. i'd be more inclined to have dogs go in the street or, yes, the edge of mylawn before i'd want them going on the sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanee View Post
On the topic of poop scooping etiquette, what's the etiquette about putting the bags of poop into home garbage bins you pass on your walk? Is that considered OK, or is it frowned upon?

yep .... here's the thread with THAT discussion.... i asked that VERY question in post #22.......

how does everyone manage dog poop?

i am of the opinion that if a can is at the curb for trash day pickup and there is no lid secured to it, then dropping a plastic bag of poop on top of the other trash is no big deal..... but apparently a LOT of people disagree......

Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
there is no sidewalk in the neighborhood i'm talking about. and as i said in my first post, my dog is averse to going on concrete. i guess i could train her to do it, but it seems silly when the only time it comes into play is when we visit my in-laws a couple of times a year. but that's just my individual situation.

also, i find having the dog go on the sidewalk kind of grosser than going on the edge of someone's lawn. pee just stays there in a pool, and poop usually leaves a residue even if you pick it up. i'd be more inclined to have dogs go in the street or, yes, the edge of mylawn before i'd want them going on the sidewalk.
I would make sure the dog pees before the walk. Like I said poop happens and Id rather mine go on the sidewalk or street. Id feel funny stopping and letting mine poop on someones lawn. But thats just me. If its not a real solid poop,theres bound to be some left behind on the grass also.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I'd like to train Ringo and Lucy NOT to poop on a walk; but not sure how to do that. Walking just seems to make them poop and I hate it.

My maltese hardly ever pooped on a walk and it was so lovely not to have to worry about carrying a bag or making the neighbors mad . . . .

Because you're right - even if you do pick it up . . there is still usually a little bit left behind no matter how hard you try.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Mine is trained specifically TO poop on walks...eliminating and exercise, we're a multitask household.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Also, I have yet to experience death of grass due to dog urine. Don't know if it's my superior quality grass or my inferior quality dog urine, but it's not been a problem anywhere I've had dogs. Maybe it's a soil type thing, too.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:30 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
the actual act of walking or running gets things "moving" ...... at least for my two.......

Old 03-30-2010, 06:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Also, I have yet to experience death of grass due to dog urine. Don't know if it's my superior quality grass or my inferior quality dog urine, but it's not been a problem anywhere I've had dogs. Maybe it's a soil type thing, too.
Apparently, female dogs have higher concentrations of acid in their urine. My neighbor has two Lab puppies -- one female, one male. They're brother and sister.

When the male pees on the lawn, it's fine. When the female pees, after a while, the spot goes from green grass to dead yellow grass.

I don't know if the acid theory is valid, but it's certainly proven at their house.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:52 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
the female dog thing makes sense to me, whether or not it's true that their urine has a higher concentration of acid, because females usually pee more at a time. most females pee all at once, where males save their pee for marking. there are exceptions (my female dog marks, for instance), but that's the general rule.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:10 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
In my near suburb, most people walk their dogs on a short lease in the middle of the street. It's all obedience and politeness!

I say screw it, my little guy has been cooped up all day, so he wants to have fun. I let him walk or run on people's lawns even if they are out there. Of course I bag the poop, but most of his urine is on my shrubs before we get far.

So while my dog is having fun, other dogs seem to dully go about their disciplined walks. So be it, I don't care if someone sneers at me, their are all different things to be polite on or not in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs