U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 577 times

Advertisements

A responsible dog owner 20 years ago left their dog poop anywhere unless they lived in NYC (Canine Litter Law: 9/1/78) - other major cities did not start working on similar laws until the 1990s - and a majority of suburbs were not included. These laws were enacted when societal norms deemed them acceptable and necessary.

Today a responsible dog owner cleans up the poop with a plastic bag and places it in the nearest trash bin on public property - curb, alley, sidewalk. However, it is not a reasonable expectation for a dog owner to carry these bags home. The issue is public health and keeping our communities clean. The closest trash bin on public property is the best solution. Anything less would greatly reduce the effectiveness of these disposal laws.

Putting signs on trash bins does not send the right message in terms of reinforcing good and responsible behavior that the law sets out to do or actually prevent anyone from disposing of their dogs waste in the bin. As we stand at this point in our society it is best to either keep your bins off the curb, etc., or have the right expectations that responsible dog owners will be placing dog poop bags in your trash bin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,081,500 times
I'm ready to move because the loose dog issue is becoming so ridiculous here. It's a very outdoorsy place and I think having a dog is a prerequisite to living here. That would be great if people would be responsible for all those dogs. But, it's trendy to let your dog have "freedom". I guess I'm a lame dog mom, because I don't feel that I need to allow my dogs the "freedom" to get hit by a car, mauled in a fight, shot for chasing livestock or wildlife, dognapped, tortured, etc.

My dogs, who are always leashed, under control and very polite, can't even enjoy a half hour walk without being accosted by at least 3 loose dogs. We don't have animal control and I feel bad calling the sheriff, but I've had to call twice in the past two weeks. He said he gets multiple calls each day about loose dogs. Yesterday, I counted 6 different dogs in my front yard over the course of the day. Naturally, several of them crapped in my yard, too.

As bad as the roaming dogs are the ones who supposedly stay in their own yard. I can count on one hand the number of those who actually do stay in their yard and don't come charging out into the street.

I was walking Abby the other day and a woman was out with 2 little rat dogs. They were not leashed and forced a guy in a pickup truck to stop, twice, when they took turns running out in front of him. The woman just laughed. Then, they ran up to Abby and started jumping and snarling in her face. She weighs almost 80 lbs. These things probably topped out at 7 or 8 lbs. Because Abby is a very good girl, she didn't eat them. The woman did nothing to get her little beasts under control, but said to me, "that dog better be nice." Seriously?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:02 AM

3,939 posts, read 7,742,184 times
What about those homeowners who complain that you are actually using that strip of grass between the sidewalk and street. Two of my neighbors have already yelled at us. One went out to check if we left anything, and the other just yelled from her window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs