Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:36 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times

Advertisements

One thing to just bear in mind is that Girlie might also present quite a defensive attitude to having her posterior investigated. Just be aware and prepared for it as she'll be feeling vulnerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 AM

561 posts, read 1,512,682 times
Thanks for all the advice! I hear all the warnings, and we will be very careful. Plan is to introduce both females to one male at a time, not to the male pack. If there are any problems, we will regroup and try another plan. The bottom line is to go slow--very, very slow, so that curiosity and howdy-do's can be accomplished without any undue hurt feelings.

I gave a big Kong toy to the girls, with some peanut butter inside for interest -- and well, we are honoring the Death of Kong. Hmmm, gotta find me some huge, indestructible toys for the girls..... Oh, and two large nyla bones are buried somewhere in the yard, so I'm down three toys. Gotta get to the pet store and get more......

In honor of Kong--we retrieved all the pieces....sad way to go.....
Attached Thumbnails
Uh, oh....help please-death-kong.jpg  

Old 03-27-2010, 09:57 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
WOW! those are some serious chewers!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:07 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
rip kong ....

gave his life doing his duty.....

bless you for taking all these puppers in .... you must have the same sign in your yard that i have in mine .... invisible to the human eye..... but neon to the lost wandering souls that have been so horribly treated.......

and maybe try a black kong next time....

Last edited by latetotheparty; 03-27-2010 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: can't type or spell or something today.....

Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Default What more could any dog ask for?

These girls are in dog heaven. Imagine going from being hungry to a place where there are toys and food and someone who brings them to the doctor and who cares about them ... These girls are in dog heaven!

I had a kong eater dog once....

Like LTTP said, the black ones are suppose to last longer.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:40 AM

561 posts, read 1,512,682 times
I'll definitely try the black kong, this one didn't last an hour with the girls! Yet the boys didn't have much interest in it, unless I put peanut butter inside. Apparently, the girls found it MUCH more interesting to tear apart!

Yeah, I'm beginning to think I have that invisible neon "dogs welcome" sign at my drive. We hope to put up a perimeter fence this summer. Of course that wouldn't have changed my last adoption that was suppose to be only one. We adopted before Christmas and picked up after New Years. Got him home and he was SO HAPPY to run free (inside our fenced yard), he was just grinning ear to ear and wagging his tail!! It was instant love for me! Then we got inside and found the message that they had given us the wrong dog! It was then I noticed he hadn't been altered yet! Didn't check there first!

We called the shelter back and told them we couldn't possibly part with this guy, so we'll take both! I hear they are still talking about it at the shelter. Guess there was some discussion and further training after that mistake. But it wasn't a mistake for me, just God's (dog spelled backward, of course) way of taking care of one of his creatures. So we had two more! Then the two girls showed up and I suspect two is my lucky number!

I love and respect all animals, but dogs in particular. Their unconditional love is totally amazing. I came across this poem the other day, and I'll share here--I hope it's not a problem. I don't remember where I came across it, nor the author, but it touched me.

[CENTER][CENTER]Here in this house I will never know the loneliness I hear in the barks of other dogs out there.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I can sleep soundly assured that when I wake my world will not have changed[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will never know hunger or the fear of not knowing if I will eat[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will not shiver in the cold or grow weary from the heat[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will feel the sun's heat and the rain's coolness and be allowed to smell all that can reach my nose[/CENTER]
[CENTER]My fur will shine and never be dirty or matted[/CENTER]
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Here in this house there will be an effort to communicate with me on my level[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will be talked to and even if I don't understand I can enjoy the warmth of the words[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will be given a name so that I may know who I am among many[/CENTER]
[CENTER]My name will be used in joy and I will love the sound of it[/CENTER]
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Here in this house I will never be a substitute for anything I am not[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will never be used to improve people's images of themselves[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will be loved because I am who I am, not someone's idea of who I should be[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will never suffer for someone's anger, impatience or stupidity[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will be taught all the things I need to know to be loved by all[/CENTER]
[CENTER]If I do not learn my lessons well they will look to my teacher for blame[/CENTER]
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Here in this house I can trust arms that hold, hands that touch...[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Knowing that no matter what they do they do it for the good of me[/CENTER]
[CENTER]If I am ill I will be doctored, if scared I will be calmed, if sad I will be cheered[/CENTER]
[CENTER]No matter what I look like I will be considered beautiful and known to be of value[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will never be cast out because I am too old, too ill, too unruly or not cute enough[/CENTER]
[CENTER]My life is a responsibility and not an afterthought[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will learn that humans can almost sometimes be as kind and as fair as dogs[/CENTER]
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Here in this home I will belong[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I will be home.[/CENTER][/CENTER]

Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Quote:
Here in this house I will never know the loneliness I hear in the barks of other dogs out there.
I can sleep soundly assured that when I wake my world will not have changed
I will never know hunger or the fear of not knowing if I will eat
I will not shiver in the cold or grow weary from the heat
I will feel the sun's heat and the rain's coolness and be allowed to smell all that can reach my nose
My fur will shine and never be dirty or matted

Here in this house there will be an effort to communicate with me on my level
I will be talked to and even if I don't understand I can enjoy the warmth of the words
I will be given a name so that I may know who I am among many
My name will be used in joy and I will love the sound of it

Here in this house I will never be a substitute for anything I am not
I will never be used to improve people's images of themselves
I will be loved because I am who I am, not someone's idea of who I should be
I will never suffer for someone's anger, impatience or stupidity
I will be taught all the things I need to know to be loved by all
If I do not learn my lessons well they will look to my teacher for blame

Here in this house I can trust arms that hold, hands that touch...
Knowing that no matter what they do they do it for the good of me
If I am ill I will be doctored, if scared I will be calmed, if sad I will be cheered
No matter what I look like I will be considered beautiful and known to be of value
I will never be cast out because I am too old, too ill, too unruly or not cute enough
My life is a responsibility and not an afterthought
I will learn that humans can almost sometimes be as kind and as fair as dogs

Here in this home I will belong
I will be home.

That's really beautiful.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
You may want to get the BLUE Kong for these chewers! The blue kong is radiopaque.

Maybe it is moot since she is being spayed but if an intact male can get to the kennel, they can breed through chain link.

Edit-Oh, and I think it is a wonderful thing you are doing.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Thank you for saving these lives! all of them. You are a special person.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Ynot, I'd like to say this to you: Bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs