U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 05:59 AM

402 posts, read 1,167,967 times

Advertisements

A mama pitbull and her puppy, looks to be about 6 months old, wandered onto our rural property about three weeks ago--probably a dog-dump--starving and malnourished. Both are very sweet and I KNEW they wouldn't have much of a chance of being adopted, so I kept them--after posting found notices, to no avail. I got them into the vet this past week for exams, shots, deworming, etc. Unfortunately the mama (that we named Molly) tested positive for heartworm, but her pup (Maggie) is okay. We scheduled both for spaying, but appointment is still three weeks away! After her spay & recovery, our plan is to have Molly treated for her heartworms.

Now my problem--Molly is coming into heat now--I noticed the blood droplets late yesterday afternoon! Will I be able to keep my spay appointment on the 19th? My vet is closed until Monday and I've never had a female dog that I didn't have spayed at 6 mos, so I don't know about heat cycles and spaying. I also have four male dogs, neutered of course, so that won't be a problem. We have a bath scheduled for Molly and Maggie on Monday so we can get them into the house--both were covered with ticks, etc. Plus we allowed time for de-worming, keeping them away from the males (my males are housed in-doors and go out into our fenced yard.) For now, Molly & Maggie are being kept in a sheltered 8x8 kennel, with plenty of exercise and play time, until I can get them cleaned up to come inside. I'm doing my absolute best to keep her safe from other males that might be in the area -- I REALLY don't want her to become pregnant!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 06:14 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,797,046 times
Yes....a vet will spay while they are in heat, but it may cost a few bucks more. With a cat we had, it was $16 more. Well worth it! Probably a bit more with a dog.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,689,032 times
the appointment is on april 19? she will probably be through it by then. but as shelbygirl said, most vets will do it for an extra cost. just call your vet on monday and keep keeping her away from unaltered males! it's probably a good idea to continue to keep her away from altered males too (edit: as long as she's in heat, i mean), cause it might cause social problems between them. worst comes to worst, you'll have to reschedule.

it's great that you took these ladies in! you should post pictures.

Last edited by groar; 03-27-2010 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 07:26 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,105,106 times
If she's being spayed this month, you don't have to worry about anything except bringing her in the house.

Are they being bathed at the vets? Maybe they will go on and neuter her this week if you tell them that she's in heat.

Thank you for adopting this girl and her baby. Please post pictures!!!

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-27-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,710,848 times
Vets will spay a female in heat, but often charge more, but I'm not sure a groomer will take her until she's done (not sure about that you'll have to ask). In the meantime, if you want to control the bleeding I have found great success with the toddler 'pull-ups' disposable diapers that are all elastic on the sides and just poke a hole through them where the tail goes with my fingers as I put them on. They won't fall off like the one's with tabs and I actually took it off the dog for her to go outside and if it was still clean put the same one right back on her when she came back inside and she never chewed it off like the one's with the tabs. If that helps you. It also makes her less accessible to the male dogs in the event they do come in contact with each other.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:57 AM

402 posts, read 1,167,967 times
I'll be checking with my vet on Monday; spaying/neutering is of utmost importance!!

Okay, hope this works: here are pics of the girls and the four boys. They've been playing by running the fence line, but formal introductions will be held on Monday. Should be interesting....we have muzzles and will be ready for any bad behavior, but I think all will work out well.

BTW all are rescues, either through adoption (the smaller ones) or another that found his way to our property last year on Good Friday--the largest of the four. Most are young, except for one of the little ones who we think is maybe 6-7 years old; but we will never be sure, he's beginning to turn grey.

Amazing how things change; we had planned to travel in our RV, but now that we have the girls, we don't think that will work out so well. Somehow 6 dogs in an RV, with three of them being larger, might be just a little tight for traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Uh, oh....help please-molly1.jpg   Uh, oh....help please-maggie.jpg   Uh, oh....help please-4-boys.jpg  

Old 03-27-2010, 08:03 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,797,046 times
Just as a FYI, estrus lasts about 21 days, give or take, from the first show of blood.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:12 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,329,569 times
Thank you for helping these dogs!!!!!

And to all that help!!!!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:12 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,105,106 times
Momma and baby are pretty girls.

You've got a great looking crew. They're very lucky dogs to have found your house... especially the ones that just "showed up".... all of them!

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-27-2010 at 08:21 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 08:16 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,689,032 times
lovely dogs! and yes, they're very lucky.

please be extremely careful about introducing a female in heat to males though! even neutered males can be set off. and some altered dogs are hostile to unaltered ones (i know my female dog is!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs