Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times

Advertisements

The adoption event went wonderfully! I was so very proud of all of our dogs. Although it was a very long day for them, full of new sites, smells and people, they remained very outgoing with happy wagging tails the entire time.

Randy got a lot of attention and surprised a few people when they found out that the sweet huge dog on the end was a pitbull. The media has done such a wonderful job of destroying this wonderful breeds reputation; it should be a crime. I even had one person interested in him and say if he'd had a home of his own he'd love to adopt him. After he asked what breed he was he said he wasn't interested because they 'turn' on you. I gave him some facts on the breed and he seemed very interested in perhaps adopting one some day. Score one for the true temperament of this wonderful breed. Take that, biased media!

Gracie (husky / golden mix) spent the entire time being Gracie so she got little attention. She's such a very quiet, laid back, mellow girl that no one ever notices her. They see her and comment on how pretty she is, but because she's so easy going and doesn't jump up or wag her tail, people just walk by. Even so, it was wonderful for her to be socialized as she spent so long tied to a tree with no time to acclimate to life with people. In typical Gracie style, she handled it with quiet and calm dignity.

Star (boxer mix) was beyond thrilled. She had a couple people take her out to walk around the store. She lived up to her name, truly being the star of the show. A lady and her little boy stopped by and she was able to come out and meet him. Her year growing up in a household of children really showed through, as she was in her element with a little boy to love on. You could see her true affection for children with him. She was very gentle with him, sitting while he wrapped his arms around her and she gave him kisses. This wonderful girl needs a family so bad. I've not seen her so happy since we took her in. (Photo below)

Andy and Barney (chihuahuas) were wonderful. Because they came to the shelter as strays we don't know their history, but whatever it was they were socialized. They were very happy to have people wandering about, stopping to rub their heads. Anyone that got close to their pen made their little tails wag so hard that their butts were wiggling.

Lucky spent the first half of the day barking to get anyone's attention in the hopes they'd pet him. As soon as someone reached over to rub his head he'd just sit and enjoy it. He's a typical doxie, stubborn and demanding! We finally took him out of the pen and put him on a lead and he settled down. As long as he can be near a person he's happy. For a dog that had no socialization at all last fall when we brought him in, he's really come so far. The only issue we had was him getting mad when a lady was trying to hold him still when he wanted to walk. He got growly and cranky but as soon as he was allowed to move he was fine. He let her continue to sit by him and pet him. Lucky just wants everything Lucky's way. Again, typical doxie!

Star with the little boy she loved. I almost cried seeing how happy she was to have a little kid to love on again. < Happy tears!

I also started a blog for the rescue. Not sure if I'm allowed to post but if it's a no-no, mods please feel free to remove the link.

Hilltop Animal Rescue Team

Just thought for those interested they can keep up with all that's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,251 times
Glad the event was successful for the dogs!!! Do you have pics of all the dogs elsewhere on CD Mrs.? Would love to see Gracie. She sounds delightful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
The adoption event went wonderfully! I was so very proud of all of our dogs. Although it was a very long day for them, full of new sites, smells and people, they remained very outgoing with happy wagging tails the entire time.

Randy got a lot of attention and surprised a few people when they found out that the sweet huge dog on the end was a pitbull. The media has done such a wonderful job of destroying this wonderful breeds reputation; it should be a crime. I even had one person interested in him and say if he'd had a home of his own he'd love to adopt him. After he asked what breed he was he said he wasn't interested because they 'turn' on you. I gave him some facts on the breed and he seemed very interested in perhaps adopting one some day. Score one for the true temperament of this wonderful breed. Take that, biased media!

Gracie (husky / golden mix) spent the entire time being Gracie so she got little attention. She's such a very quiet, laid back, mellow girl that no one ever notices her. They see her and comment on how pretty she is, but because she's so easy going and doesn't jump up or wag her tail, people just walk by. Even so, it was wonderful for her to be socialized as she spent so long tied to a tree with no time to acclimate to life with people. In typical Gracie style, she handled it with quiet and calm dignity.

Star (boxer mix) was beyond thrilled. She had a couple people take her out to walk around the store. She lived up to her name, truly being the star of the show. A lady and her little boy stopped by and she was able to come out and meet him. Her year growing up in a household of children really showed through, as she was in her element with a little boy to love on. You could see her true affection for children with him. She was very gentle with him, sitting while he wrapped his arms around her and she gave him kisses. This wonderful girl needs a family so bad. I've not seen her so happy since we took her in. (Photo below)

Andy and Barney (chihuahuas) were wonderful. Because they came to the shelter as strays we don't know their history, but whatever it was they were socialized. They were very happy to have people wandering about, stopping to rub their heads. Anyone that got close to their pen made their little tails wag so hard that their butts were wiggling.

Lucky spent the first half of the day barking to get anyone's attention in the hopes they'd pet him. As soon as someone reached over to rub his head he'd just sit and enjoy it. He's a typical doxie, stubborn and demanding! We finally took him out of the pen and put him on a lead and he settled down. As long as he can be near a person he's happy. For a dog that had no socialization at all last fall when we brought him in, he's really come so far. The only issue we had was him getting mad when a lady was trying to hold him still when he wanted to walk. He got growly and cranky but as soon as he was allowed to move he was fine. He let her continue to sit by him and pet him. Lucky just wants everything Lucky's way. Again, typical doxie!

Star with the little boy she loved. I almost cried seeing how happy she was to have a little kid to love on again. < Happy tears!

I also started a blog for the rescue. Not sure if I'm allowed to post but if it's a no-no, mods please feel free to remove the link.

Hilltop Animal Rescue Team

Just thought for those interested they can keep up with all that's going on.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Oh gee, I might have a couple I can share, LOL!!

At the adoption event. Licking when I took the pic, of course!

At home:

Where she was kept before we took her in. This is the photo I got from the lady that saved her from the idiots that weren't feeding her. How could I leave her there?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:08 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Gracie (husky / golden mix) spent the entire time being Gracie so she got little attention. She's such a very quiet, laid back, mellow girl that no one ever notices her. They see her and comment on how pretty she is, but because she's so easy going and doesn't jump up or wag her tail, people just walk by.
That's the type I look for.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That's the type I look for.
Me too. I'm the biggest lazy dog owner on the planet. I want something that'll just lay next to me while I watch TV all day. I'm not a walker, jogger or hiker and don't like spending hours training or throwing a ball. I've got some highly active and smart dogs though so regardless of what I like to do, they mandate what I must do. At least I know with them around my life will never be boring and I'll never wind up being the couch potato I'd love to be!

Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
I Love adoption events! I swear, there is no better feeling than seeing these dogs, who otherwise wouldn't be here, bring so much joy to the people who adopt them and vice versa.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:04 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Me too. I'm the biggest lazy dog owner on the planet. I want something that'll just lay next to me while I watch TV all day. I'm not a walker, jogger or hiker and don't like spending hours training or throwing a ball. I've got some highly active and smart dogs though so regardless of what I like to do, they mandate what I must do. At least I know with them around my life will never be boring and I'll never wind up being the couch potato I'd love to be!
Nanners is in her favorite position as I type this: Laying on her back, legs in the air, with her head on the footrest of the recliner I'm occupying. She's laying at a right angle to me. I'm scratching her left ear with my right foot.

She's so low energy, she'll just look at the ball or frisbee I toss out for her, then look at me as if saying "Yeah right".

The day I met her as a possible adoptee, she came up to me, sniffed me, sat down next to me and put her paw in my lap. Then she went back over to her spot and slept in the sun.

From that point, I knew I was taking her home. And I did.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:07 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Thank you for posting your event, I enjoyed reading it!

I go to adoption events nearly every weekend, but not today. I'm feeling the withdrawal.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:12 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Gracie is lovely. I think she should be able to get the right kind of home for her easily.
Great pics of all the dogs. Thank you for your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs