U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM

621 posts, read 2,921,458 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm hoping you can give some advice. I'm a new owner of an almost 16 week old siberian husky puppy. Usually someone is home with him all the time, but next week it's not possible. I work 12 hr nights and my fiance is going to have to stay at work for a few days. So I know he can't stay in a crate that whole time. I looked at a dogwalker, but then decided that boarding him at a place that has doggie daycare for the 2 days would be best. My question is, he is doing very well with housetraining, but if he goes to doggie daycare and is allowed to pee on the floor or not taken out enough is he going to forget his training? Or will he realize "house" rules are different than daycare rules? What do you all think? Thanks for any advice/help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,350,324 times
My (8YO) Siberian Husky spent some time in daycare when he was a youngster. I liked that he was being supervised, blah-blah, but there were some things I didn't like, too. One was that every time he came home, he REEKED. Ugh. Smelled like slobber and pee and just general dog yuckiness. And as you know, Sibes are a generally non-odorous breed, so his "daycare stink" was particularly unwelcome. And it took forever to wear off naturally, so I usually had to give him a bath afterwards.

The other issue is that he had never been a "humper" before I started taking him to daycare, and then suddenly he was. Not with all dogs...just with some. I observed that he'd mount a dog from behind and start humping, then usually the other dog would spin around to say "Get off my back!" and Bandit would immediately go into play-bow, and usually the two of them would start play-wrestling. So I think he learned it as an invitation to play. The problem of course is that it's really a dominant thing and can spark some heated exchanges between dogs. Not every dog wants to play, and not every dog is going to be accepting of being surprise-mounted from behind.

With respect to his "house-breaking" habits, those were unaffected by daycare.

Ultimately, I've decided I don't care for daycare for Bandit. It's great for lots of dogs, but I don't care for it for my dog.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,126,357 times
Will doggie day care take a puppy that young? I know when Jazz was a puppy and I had to go away for a few days no one would board a puppy.She did go to day care for a awhile but she was 6 months as they would not take her any younger and she went to help her socialize with other dogs. She was fully house trained and day care was outside so there were no problems.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,093,383 times
How about a "Pet Sitter" ?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 PM

21,843 posts, read 23,069,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Will doggie day care take a puppy that young? I know when Jazz was a puppy and I had to go away for a few days no one would board a puppy.She did go to day care for a awhile but she was 6 months as they would not take her any younger and she went to help her socialize with other dogs. She was fully house trained and day care was outside so there were no problems.
That was my first thought also. I doubt they will take a puppy that has not had all his shots yet - can't remember but it seems to me that was about 6 mo?

Do you have a friend or co-worker with a trustworthy teen? Most teens would love to get paid to play with a puppy for a little while....

Old 03-30-2010, 01:03 PM

4,127 posts, read 13,264,385 times
I think they'll take him, he's prob. finished w/ his puppy shots. Am not sure about the daycare center, I kind of like the idea of a pet sitter who can come in, take him out and spend a little time playing w/ him. Another option w/b hiring a responsible local teenager who may be off for vacation who w/b happy to come in help out like a petsitter would, it would be a little easier on your pocketbook too (just make sure they know the rules etc).

Old 03-30-2010, 01:05 PM

21,843 posts, read 23,069,424 times
Not only shots but neutered. Reputable daycares only take neutered/spayed dogs....

Old 03-30-2010, 01:44 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,373,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not only shots but neutered. Reputable daycares only take neutered/spayed dogs....
Every daycare in my area requires that dogs over 8 months have to spayed/neutered. They understand that many people don't do it early, for health reasons. I've taken mine before he was neutered and they had no issues with it as long as he had the required shots (or in my case, titers).

Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 PM

621 posts, read 2,921,458 times
Thanks for all the replies. This daycare requires that all dogs are over 3 months of age and have rabies, bordetella and at least 2 distempers and the dogs be neutered after 7 months of age. Koda has had all those except the bordetella, which I'm going to take him for on thurs and he's not neutered yet. I looked into a petsitter, but there are not many in my area and most only come up until 5 or 6 and then not back until sometime in late morning. I leave for work at 545 pm and don't return until 8-830 am. He's still needing to go out about every 4 hours and he can hold it for about 6 at night and that's with withholding water for a couple hours before he goes to sleep. Also, I didn't want him in a crate for that long, and even if I had someone come in he'd still be in there prob 10 hours and I have to work 2 nights in a row, so it'd be for 2 nights. We haven't had him but a week and my fiance had this sprung on him, so we hadn't found a petsitter yet, and then when I was researching online, came to find not many in my area. I will continue to look into options, since I still have a week to work something out. Thanks for all the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or