Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 AM

210 posts, read 502,404 times

Advertisements

I'm less than a year away from moving so I'm starting all my research now into flying our two large dogs (Boxer mix / Doberman mix) from England to San Antonio, Texas.

So far the quotes I've received from shipping companies are:

PetAirUK = $3,908.86
PassportForPets = $5,329.21
AnimalAirlines = $4,018.04

I am still waiting to hear back from ShipYourPet & Jets4Pets. I have heard that it's soooooo much cheaper to fly your dog directly with an airline instead of going through a shipping company, so I emailed Delta to see if they could help.

My email:

I have two large breed dogs and I am wanting to check them in as cargo
for a flight from Heathrow, England to San Antonio, Texas. Could you let
me know how much it would cost per dog to fly with Delta? I was told
$550 by another person who had their dog fly as cargo, but I want to
double check that this is the right price! If you could let me know ASAP
that would be brilliant. Thank you!

Their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

We have several options available for your pet's travel needs. Small
pets may be carried on board as long as the kennel will fit under the
seat. Since that isn't an option for many pet owners, pets may also be
checked as baggage (if you will be traveling with them), or shipped as
very special cargo (if they are traveling alone). For more details about
these options - including applicable fees and restrictions - select the
following links from our home page at www.delta.com (http://www.delta.com/ - broken link):

Planning & Reservations
Special Travel Needs
Pet Travel Information
Pet Travel Options

Lastly, select the link for the travel option that interests you ?
checked, cargo, etc.

Again, thank you for writing. We appreciate your selection of Delta and
will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

...Basically they answered none of my question whatsoever. I've already looked at everything on their website and all I can find is the price for Continental flights - Around $644 per large dog. I want to know their INTERNATIONAL costs. I'm going to have to phone them instead me thinks because apparently they cannot read

Does anyone know the rough cost of flying a dog internationally through an airline while they're checked as cargo?

Does anyone have any recommendations for other airlines I could contact?

TIA! x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
The website gives pricing for international as baggage. Are you sure you need to check them in as cargo instead of baggage? How big are your crates?

Quote:
Pets As Checked Baggage
While the environment your pet travels in is temperature-controlled and pressurized, air travel is likely to be a stressful experience. To ensure your pet's comfort and safety and your peace of mind, review weather, health, and kennel Requirements & Restrictions for important guidelines.

Cats, dogs, household birds, guinea pigs, rabbits, and hamsters are accepted as checked baggage.
Primates, including lemurs, monkeys, orangutans, gorillas, and chimpanzees will not be permitted (excluding service animals).
All other animals, including reptiles, must be shipped as cargo.

You can transport a total of two kennels per flight. Giant-size kennels can only be shipped as cargo. Additional restrictions apply according to aircraft and class of service.

Additional Information
The one-way fee for checking your pet on all flights is 200 USD/CAD/EUR* for all travel (except Brazil where the fee is 75 USD/CAD/EUR*). Travel to/from/within Asia, the fee is $230. If you and your pet are making a transfer to another airline, be sure to allow time to claim your animal and re-check it with the connecting airline. For additional information or to arrange to check your pet as baggage, contact Reservations.

*CAD amount will be charged exit Canada, and EUR amount will be charged exit Europe. Fees established by the contract of carriage in effect at the time of ticket issuance will apply.
If your crates are considered giant size, you can only fly cargo. You have to call for international rates because the rate varies according to distance, country, etc.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Be aware that Continental may well have a moratorium on landing live animals during certain months of the year. They used to have this in place, not sure if they still do, so check.

It's has to do with the ground temps out on the tarmac. It will easily be well over 100F out there from... probably May through end September, perhaps into October depending on the year.

Due bare the incredible differences in climates in mind when you're planning. If at all possible, you really want to get the dogs here by Feb/March so as to give them a chance to acclimatise before the summer sets in. Their first summer is going to be hard enough so if you can make it easier by doing it gradually, you should.

If you mean "AirPets" (rather than PetAir) - they're pretty good and know what they're doing, I have used them. But given what a straightforward trip it is - both logistically and documentation wise - I can't see why you'd bother. Do a straight run from either LHR/LGW to Houston and drive from Houston to SA - 2 and a bit hours on a dead straight road.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 AM

556 posts, read 2,086,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
It's has to do with the ground temps out on the tarmac. It will easily be well over 100F out there from... probably May through end September, perhaps into October depending on the year.
FiveHorses is RIGHT ON with this - and it's not just Continental - every major commercial airline (that I know of) has restrictions on flying domesticated animals when tarmac temperatures are high - when we looked into flying our rottweiler from NC to here (SA, TX) - it was early May - and it was NO GO because the outside temps were already 85 degrees......so we rented a mini-van and drove him home

This can be an alternative for you if you are coming in the warmer/hotter months - fly your dogs into a more northern state, and plan a road trip with them the rest of the way.......this will mean careful planning - but you've started in plenty of time!!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Has the OP thought of checking with breeders in Britain who fly/ship dogs to the US? While they may not be able to furnish airline prices they could probably share some tricks of the trade based on their experiences in shipping dogs between England and the USA.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,187 times
There is or was a kennel near Bedford who also bred Great Danes can't remember the name of the kennels though. They arrange for dogs to be flown to the US.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
First decide if you want to deal with everything and everyone involved, or do you want to deal with a service that handles everything and you basically only deal with the pre trip preps.

Many people are confused about transporting animals. You have pet travel services, pets on passeneger airlines, pets on cargo flights, pets as cargo on passeneger flights, pets this and pets that. There is also a whole lot of missinformation about transporting pets that drives fear where fear isn't needed.

before getting quotes, understand the entire process so you understand what your really getting for the price. You need to know the truth from the lies. You need to educate yourself. I've seen people pay good money for their dog to be placed in some baggage hold while other pay nearly nothing and their pets fly cargo on the deck near the pilots.

Because there is so much confusing information, you need to take the time to know each seperate part of the entire process so you can intelligently decide what is best for you AND the pets.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:33 AM

210 posts, read 502,404 times
We'll be flying during Jan-March 2011 so, thankfully, there wont be any sort of embargo on our dogs flying as it will be a lot cooler.

It's likely we'd be checking them as cargo and not baggage as we are unsure what airline the US military will get our tickets with - And only Delta seem to be the ones who will fly our dogs to the US!

I've looked at the "break down" of the different quotes I've received from the companies and I can blatantly see where they've "bumped up" the prices. For example, PetAirUK are going to use Delta.. And so far PassportForPets, but the latter one cost over $2,000 more for the same flight with Delta! Crazy!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbird View Post
It's likely we'd be checking them as cargo and not baggage
FWIW - there is a huge and vast difference between sending an animal cargo vs. in the hold of a passenger plane.

If the animals go regular commercial cargo, you will not be "checking" them anywhere. Cargo areas of airports are not like the terminal area and access is very restricted. If the dogs are due to travel in that manner, then I strongly suggest you research the "who, what, why, and where" of it all. It would be my suggestion, based on experience, that you look into hiring a freight fowarder to act as your agent. It's a one-off deal and should not anything more than a few hours at whatever hourly rate they charge.

If the dogs are going military cargo, that's something else entirely and what you can or cannot do will be subject military rules & regs.

If you are traveling on military orders then AFAIK, you're restricted to American carriers. Which US carrier can take the dogs is going to entirely depend on which UK airport you're leaving from.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 PM

90 posts, read 222,549 times
Ok-let me throw my 2 cents in. I have had dogs flown in the cargo hold. Remember;it is neither heated nor cooled; you have no control how long the dog sits in the crate out on the loading area-could be 20 minutes, could be 14 hours; unless the airline states that they have an animal wrangler, no one is checking to see if the dog has water, is throwing up from excitement or fear, or if it is overheated or about to die of fear. The reason the pet air business has taken off, is due to the sheer number of animals who never made their destination-alive or dead. Pet specific carriers have someone in attendance at all times, checking on the health and well being of your animal(s). It is just safer for the pet, and allows YOU peace of mind. They make sure it is you picking up your pet-and not someone looking to pad the medical labs or dog fighting rings. My last cocker was shipped on PetAirways. She arrived happy, healthy, and sparkly clean. I am not a breeder-I simply purchased a companion dog. So, check them out. If your dogs have not flown before, see the vet for a simple tranquilizer. Some dogs get so overwrought with the noise and motion, they can have a heart attack. Renting a minivan and driving from a close airport that PetAir serves is not a bad idea. Seeing you and your husband will be a tremendous relief for them.
Welcome in advance. You will love San Antonio-especially the riverwalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs