Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

to Wellness Healthy Weight kibble. Looks like I'll be going back to Avoderm. My three main complaints since easing her full time into the Wellness:

• The skin condition that had disappeared after switching to the Avoderm two years ago was back in less than a month. This condition presents with falling out fur, rough, scaly skin and raised bumpy areas.

• She's back to randomly vomiting during the night.

• Her stools are massively huge and smelly, just as huge and foul smelling as they were when I was feeding her the cheap store brand kibble that played such havoc with her system.

So why am I paying 58 bucks for 26 pounds of this stuff? Looks like I won't be.

I made the switch in hopes of shedding some pounds and bringing her cholesterol down, but this just isn't working out. Whatever happened to the carefree days of buying a sack of Purina and having a thriving dog from it? I tell you, I've NEVER had a dog with such a touchy system. But, I love her. She's worth it.

In case anyone suggests I shocked her system with the food change, I didn't. When I started introducing the Wellness into her diet, I still had almost a full bag of Avoderm, and it took me from January to late March to get her to the point where she was eating 100% Wellness. So it was definitely a gradual change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 12:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Whatever happened to the carefree days of buying a sack of Purina and having a thriving dog from it?
I hear you. They must not have had as much garbage in it back in the good old day of our youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I tell you, I've NEVER had a dog with such a touchy system. But, I love her. She's worth it.
My beagle/basset is so sensitive to food.

I recently decided that I need to switch him to a different food from the labrador.

I've tried various foods. The lab does well on Natures Recipe Venison and Rice.

However, the beagle/basset does just okay on it----an improvement but not good enough.

My search continues!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:29 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,121 times
Harper is the same way. I guess I got lucky in that the Natural Balance LID works for him (Potato & Duck). About the only treats I can give him is the same formula only it is in a chub and can be cut up into cubes (like pepperoni).

Even raw hide gives him the runs though if I only give him a small strip every once in a while as a treat it isn't too bad. He loves them so much I still give them to him on occasion but the big bag I bought will last forever, lol.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:03 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I had to ban rawhide treats and milk bone type dog biscuits due to the explosive liquid that would come shooting out her rear end within a few hours after eating them.

This is my first Pit. Is this a Pit thing or a Nanners thing? I always had Dobies before Nanners, and I could feed them just about anything.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:07 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,121 times
Nah mine is a mix of Sharpei, lab and god only knows what else, lol. I think it is just a side effect of being a mutt... in his case anyway.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:24 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Our poodle is allergic to the rice. We are feeding him Evo and have had great success with it. Only problem is that it is mail order food and takes a couple weeks to arrive. One big plus is he eats less and poops les as well. A food without fillers is good.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:28 PM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
I used Wellness, then my brother suggested Wellness Core, he was pleased with it for his Australian Shepard, Caesar has been eating it, no complaints. He prefers dry dog food over canned, but we give him some other food too, meat, veggies, fruit.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:44 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
Charlie is really sensitive too. I was told by my vet switch to a boiled ground beef and bran diet (temporarily) when he gets explosive diarrhea, but it's been happening so frequently lately that I've been mixing the beef and bran with his regular food all the time and it seems to be helping. You just have to find what works for your dog. If the avoderm seemed to help him, then I would stick with that. Maybe try slowly decreasing the amount of avoderm you're feeding and take him on an extra walk or run too.

I definitely understand your frustration; but don't worry you'll work it out! And you're not alone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs