U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 AM
 
164 posts, read 511,812 times
Reputation: 134

Advertisements

The chance of a disaster is much smaller than dogs getting their collars tangled or stuck. For me it just seems very dangerous and I will never leave them unattended with their collars on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2010, 03:27 AM
 
3,627 posts, read 12,784,772 times
Reputation: 2695
I don't have tags on the dog - just a metal plate with relevant contact info. I keep the tags in a drawer which I know is not what the law wants.

It is a common problem. I like the flat hunting collars since they are not as inclined to get hung up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,565,045 times
Reputation: 4907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
My dogs and the dogs of my family and friends have always kept collars with tags on. You never know when a dog could get out or as kansas sky said a disaster strikes. Yes mine are microchipped but I would rather have a person return them to me if they got out then have them taken to the shelter and scanned first. Dazzle does grab collars in play but I do not have to worry about him grabbing Jazz's as she does not allow that sort of play when she is willling to play with him. She is the queen so the boss so any play is under her terms and his mouthing her is not something she allows.
Valid points. However, I think that we need to look at the probability of either scenario occuring.

That said, I have heard of far more instances of dogs getting hung up and/or injured from collars than I have of animals being permanently lost in a disaster situation. Even in a disaster situation, while owners may not find their pets immediately, at some point the animal will get scanned and returned (or will return on its own).

Now, animals getting out without collars on is a huge problem but I think that mostly applies to cats. And even then, I would prefer that my cat/dog get out without his/her collar on, unless it's a breakaway collar.
Better that my beloved be lost than dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2010, 11:37 AM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,103,870 times
Reputation: 12758
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I don't have tags on the dog - just a metal plate with relevant contact info. I keep the tags in a drawer which I know is not what the law wants.

It is a common problem. I like the flat hunting collars since they are not as inclined to get hung up.
I've always used those hunting collars on my dogs with the "O" ring that allows the collar to "give" when pulled. Unfortunately they are no longer common and difficult to find in sizes for those with meduim-small dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
 
4,127 posts, read 13,266,252 times
Reputation: 3756
I think the hardware stores carry them ("O" rings), our rabies tags come w/ the "S" rings which I don't care for. There's also ID tags that can be custom-made so that they just slide on the collar, no dangling and no noise. They come in very handy in the event that a dog goes missing, most ppl are honest and will try to contact the owner if the dog has a current ID tag on its collar. Some people even put the word Reward on the tag so they'll know they'll be compensated by returning the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I've always used those hunting collars on my dogs with the "O" ring that allows the collar to "give" when pulled. Unfortunately they are no longer common and difficult to find in sizes for those with meduim-small dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,103,870 times
Reputation: 12758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I think the hardware stores carry them ("O" rings), our rabies tags come w/ the "S" rings which I don't care for. There's also ID tags that can be custom-made so that they just slide on the collar, no dangling and no noise. They come in very handy in the event that a dog goes missing, most ppl are honest and will try to contact the owner if the dog has a current ID tag on its collar. Some people even put the word Reward on the tag so they'll know they'll be compensated by returning the dog.
I'm referring to the collar itself containing a center O ring, not the tag holder.

Here is an example with photo:
Collars and More: Center "O" Ring Hunting Collars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top