U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,095,343 times

Advertisements

OP might consider adopting a senior small dog. An older dog may be less likely to mess with the cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM

4,127 posts, read 13,264,385 times
Was going to say the same thing - especially a middle aged or older dog who was raised w/ cats or has been exposed to cats in a foster home. Many pugs can be fairly mellow, would go to a reputable rescue to get their take on specific personalities etc, they will be honest as they want the adoption to be a success

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
OP might consider adopting a senior small dog. An older dog may be less likely to mess with the cat.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 AM

3,852 posts, read 8,255,242 times
My dog (Dachshund/Cocker Spaniel mix) is very mellow, but he does get hyper at times.

I think it just depends on each individual dog. No dog fits 100% into each "typical" breed characteristic. When in doubt, go for an older dog. There's a reason I didn't adopt a puppy!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:52 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,828,405 times
I think the bigger question is how does the 15 yo cat feel about dogs and how are you going to handle it if she hates the dog? What if she hides all day and night? She is an senior cat and may not be too happy if s/he has been the only animal in the house.

I agree with adopting an older dog since a puppy is going to want to play which means 'chase' the cat. I have 6 dogs and they all get along with the cats, but they also all chased them at one time or another.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:56 PM

74 posts, read 180,648 times
Thanks. Petfinder is a great website.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 PM

609 posts, read 1,096,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Seriously, you can't go by breed they all have different dispositions and personalities. Typically, terriers are a small breed not known to co habitate well with cats. I would look for a fostered rescue and the foster will tell you if it does well with cats. If you go on Petfinder they have an icon that says 'no cats' if it applies.

I foster and always seemed to get the jack russels because untrained they are holy terrors, but what I found suprised the heck out of me. One was the typical JRT destroyed my house, a girl adopted him and she had to bring him back because her cat attacked HER sending her to the hospital because of the dog and he would stand at the basement door and bark non-stop because the cats were there. But the next to I got were the sweetest things and could care less if there was a cat in the room. So, even within a given breed you can't pinpoint whether they will or won't get along with cats. Look at the rescue and shelter dogs available in your area on Petfinder and that will help you with your search. You don't have to put a breed in there to get a list of all dogs available in your area.

lol...i have a jack russell. hes can be a terror, but hes the sweetest thing...he just sometimes picks the wrong things to chew on though...its not as bad now that hes older though lol. hes afraid of one of my cats...but if the cat sneezes, he goes and checks on him....he'll just perch up on the chair the cats in and look at him then go about his business lol. he likes to chase my outside kitty all over the backyard though...i think he honestly thinks they're friends lol.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,156,051 times
Quote:
Here is one of the cutest examples of a terrier co habitating with a cat:

YouTube - DOG FALLS FOR CAT♥
That is the most heartwarming video I have seen in a long time. Thanks for posting!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:26 AM

609 posts, read 1,096,416 times
Quote:
Here is one of the cutest examples of a terrier co habitating with a cat:

YouTube - DOG FALLS FOR CAT♥
awww, they're in love! so cute! i would rep you for this but it appears ive already given you some recently lol.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:07 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,095,343 times
Great video. The world is upside down: dogs and cats living together in harmony. What next!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 PM

3,856 posts, read 6,625,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Cavalier King Charles Spanial - the most laid back small dog's I have ever seen. I don't own one though but we have a rescue in this area so . . .several around.
I'll second the recommendation of a Cavalier. I have one. As others have said, there are always exceptions, but in general, it's a pretty mellow breed for being a small dog. And thinks everyone should be his friend... two feet or four.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or