Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,984,233 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have a two year old Jack Russell Terrier named Olivia who is a sweet dog, but she barks at other dogs when I take her on walks. It seems like the barking problem has gotten worse lately and I'm not really sure what to do.

We adopted Olivia about a year ago. She was born at a puppy mill in Arkansas, sent to a pet store in Burbank, CA, and then lived with a young woman who worked 12-16 hour days and couldn't handle the responsibility.

Olivia loves to play with other dogs, so it might just be that she's excited. She might also be scared too.

When she barks at another dog, I try to turn her around to walk in the other direction, which works temporarily, but if we see another dog she will bark again. Does anyone have any tips for my wife and I?

Here's a pic of our pup taking a snooze. We love her!
Attached Thumbnails
How to get my dog from barking at other dogs-olivia_5.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 03:05 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,100,632 times
Does she play well with other dogs? OR is she Scared when they approch her?
Katie Barks at ALL dogs IF they are her size or smaller as they get closer Barking turns to play! IF they are Bigger than her it turns to growling & she crowds Me!! I got her at 4 months I have no clue what happend that makes her Fear bigger dogs.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Does she play well with other dogs? OR is she Scared when they approch her?
She usually plays well with other dogs. When we take her to the dog park or have freinds bring their dogs to our house, she's happy and doesn't bark nearly as much when she's on the leash going for walks. It's almost like she's barking at other dogs because she wants to be noticed & wants to play. Such a diva.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,100,632 times
Yea sounds like LOL I wouldnt worry to much then. Maybe more doggie play time would help? How about a buddy at home? Dont sound like she a loner. Also sounds like she ready for a playmate. LOL I would in the meantime Let her Talk to other dogs but after a few mins ...tell her thats enough "Quiet" Then get her attention Back on you!

Old 04-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Good advice Katie. Thank you very much.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:33 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,067,227 times
Olivia is a total cutie!
Dogs have different barks: there's the happy to see you one, intruder/I don't recognize you one, the I'm trying to get your attention one and many more. Keep your ears open on hearing for the difference. Just from what you wrote, it sounds like she wants to go over to the dog. Not sure if its fear or excitement, could be both. Introduce her to a dog from a trusted friend and see how they get along on leash and increase or decrease the time as the days go by depending on her reaction.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Olivia is a total cutie!
Dogs have different barks: there's the happy to see you one, intruder/I don't recognize you one, the I'm trying to get your attention one and many more. Keep your ears open on hearing for the difference. Just from what you wrote, it sounds like she wants to go over to the dog. Not sure if its fear or excitement, could be both. Introduce her to a dog from a trusted friend and see how they get along on leash and increase or decrease the time as the days go by depending on her reaction.
Thanks skeet, I'll try and listen better to the differences in her barks. I will also try introducing her to a friend's dog on leash to see what happens.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:41 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,067,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Thanks skeet, I'll try and listen better to the differences in her barks. I will also try introducing her to a friend's dog on leash to see what happens.
It worth a try to listen to the barks. Not sure if you can tell the difference with JRTs. I have a schnauzer and he's been with us for about 8 months and I can tell the difference but maybe it's a schnauzer thing. I've had other dogs before but I was younger and can't remember. Luck to you Perkins Well!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
I have had this same problem with my labrador. It was so bad that I quit taking him to the park years ago. He only gets walked in the neighborhood. At the park, where there are lots of dogs being walked, he would bark and bark and bark and bark--nonstop.

He was simply overly happy and saying hello to all of the dogs. He looked like an idiot. Everyone stared---like he wasn't trained. But he was very well trained. He just lost his mind when he went to the park where lots of other dogs were being walked on a leash.

My dog wasn't scared. He was just overly excited and happy. I thought he would stop if he got used to the environment, but that never happened. As a result, I simply chose to only walk him in the neighborhood or take him to dog parks where dogs were loose off the leash so he can easily play with other dogs.

I have no answers. I just wanted to share that I can totally relate to the OP's problem. The only solution I found to our problem was to avoid situations where it happened and find other social alternatives for him to interact with other dogs.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have had this same problem with my labrador. It was so bad that I quit taking him to the park years ago. He only gets walked in the neighborhood. At the park, where there are lots of dogs being walked, he would bark and bark and bark and bark--nonstop.

He was simply overly happy and saying hello to all of the dogs. He looked like an idiot. Everyone stared---like he wasn't trained. But he was very well trained. He just lost his mind when he went to the park where lots of other dogs were being walked on a leash.

My dog wasn't scared. He was just overly excited and happy. I thought he would stop if he got used to the environment, but that never happened. As a result, I simply chose to only walk him in the neighborhood or take him to dog parks where dogs were loose off the leash so he can easily play with other dogs.

I have no answers. I just wanted to share that I can totally relate to the OP's problem. The only solution I found to our problem was to avoid situations where it happened and find other social alternatives for him to interact with other dogs.
Thanks for sharing Hopes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs