U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,683,442 times

Advertisements

This was posted in the relationship forum, but I wanted to come to a source of knowledge to see if anyone has ever found a healthy compromise to this.

This man is allergic to dogs, but just started dating someone who has them. What can they do to make it work? Is there something that really works well for humans with dog allergies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 12:55 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,376,483 times
My husband is terribly allergic to dogs. To the point where he can barely breathe when around them and gets hives all over his body. That said, we decided before marriage that we will have dogs and he has learned to cope. At first, he had to use his inhaler all the time. But now, he can tolerate our dog without breaking out or having breathing issues. He still cannot be around other dogs for extended periods of time, but has developed an immunity to ours.

This guy should spend some time with that particular dog to see if he even reacts. Some people only react to some dogs. I live with someone who is extremely allergic, yet he's been fine with our dog.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:04 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,776,804 times
i second what mak said ..... years ago i had a friend who was HIGHLY allergic to cats..... my little black cat could just walk by him and he would develop hives...... BUT, my orange kitty didn't bother him in the least..... he could sit on the floor and play with hobbes all day long and nary an issue.... he and his girlfriend would come down to my apartment and "borrow" hobbes for playtime at their apartment for the day or afternoon a couple or 3 times a week.....

i know that little story is about cats, but the same thing could apply to dogs.... it all depends on the proteins in the dander......

also.... my mom was TERRIBLY allergic to dogs and cats when we were kids.... but she was DETERMINED that we have pets and all the joys and responsibilities that they encompassed..... so she took allergy shots for a couple or 3 years..... i can clearly recall my dad giving her her shots at the kitchen table..... my brother and i were fascinated.....

this guy has just begun dating the dog owner, so allergy shots may be a bit of a leap..... but on the other hand, they could help him become less allergic to the critters in general and be happier for it......

Old 04-09-2010, 06:01 PM

445 posts, read 1,241,982 times
I had a similar experience to MAK802's husband. I developed animal allergies as an adult. I was more allergic to dogs than to cats, probably because I always had cats growing up and thus developed a resistance. For years, I couldn't visit our friends who have dogs - and nearly all our friends have dogs - without suffering an asthma attack. In 2005, we adopted 2 cats, despite my allergies. (My daughter is also allergic). Well, we found out that repeated exposure diminishes the allergies. My daughter says that she's still allergic to other people's cats but not to ours.

In 2008, we got Louie. He was so adorable and I wanted an English Bulldog so I just figured I would deal with it somehow. At first I got a bit of asthma and rashy bumps on my arms, but those symptoms have gone away. And the best part is, I'm no longer allergic to my friends' dogs. It's great to be able to go over to people's houses without worrying about having an allergy attack. Mind over matter? Whatever - it worked for me!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 PM

439 posts, read 816,523 times
When I was a kid, I was horribly allergic to cats. Couldn't visit people who had them or be in the same room, or touch anyone else who had touched a cat. My parents took me to an allergist and they gave me medicine that I could apply as drops under my tongue. After a couple of years I was completely immune to cat dander and never had a problem since.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:13 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,683,442 times
Would the food they eat have any affect on their dander production? The dogs that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or