U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 10:52 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times

Advertisements

Much to my dismay, I have acquired a pet rat. Actually there were 7 rats---a mother and father and 5 babies. I sent the mother and babies to a rat rescue. I plan to only keep the male.

My son's friend owned these rats, but he no longer had anywhere to keep them. I care very much about my son's friend, and I respect that he loves this male rat like I love my dogs.

This rat's happiness depends on me. Nobody else in my household cares about it. They think it's gross. I'm no rat lover, but I have compassion for the fact that this rat was loved and had a great life. I don't want his quality of life to deteriorate because he lost his happy home.

He is amazingly sweet. The boy held and played with him everyday. He was always allowed out of the cage---hanging out with the boy in his bedroom or gameroom every evening. The boy had two dogs---both labradors---who loved this rat. They played together. Apparently, rats need to have time outside of the cage for excersise.

I have a 14 year old labrador and a 3 year old beagle basset. The rat has been with us for 3 weeks, and the labrador only realized it was in our house yesterday. He's old. He just doesn't care. That's cool.

However, the beagle basset is CRAZY about this rat being in the house. He is constantly trying to see it. He is constantly barking at it. He is constantly trying to climb up the chest of drawers where the cage is located on top.

There's no way he can get to the rat, but it appears as if he will NEVER stop trying. Anytime he hears me talking to the rat, he comes running from somewhere in the house. Anytime I hold the rat, my clothes become drenched with snot from my beagle basset smelling every inch of me afterwards.

I have held the rat for the dog to smell. The rat isn't afraid. The dog isn't calming down. I'm too afraid to let the rat loose on the floor because I'm afraid the beagle basset will pounce on it----playfully---and hurt it.

I have thought about letting the rat loose in the bathroom while the dog is in the yard, but I know that the dog will go crazy smelling the bathroom for days and days afterwards.

Is there any way for them to safely become friends? It sort of breaks my heart that this rat isn't getting excersise. The beagle basset is the love of my life, but he's annoying the hell out of me over this rat. I don't want his annoyance to cause me to ignore this rat's social needs.

Does ANYONE have ANY ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 11:04 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,373,187 times
I just wanted to say congrats! Rats are wonderful pets, I had two females and they were so awesome! I have no advice, since I never had dogs and rats at the same time. Maybe try to keep them apart? An excited dog can accidentally kill a rat, given their tiny size. What did you name him? Mine were Roxy and Pebbles and wonderful, friendly pets.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
Roxy and Pebbles were so cute! Thank you for sharing their pictures with me!

He came with the name Bogart! Since he knows his name, I don't have the heart to change it. Plus, it's very appropriate----he packs away and hides everything!

You're right about the risk of his being accidently killed. That's why I've kept them apart.

I guess I'm going to have to put up with this crazy dog driving me insane.

It has gotten so bad that I plan my rat holding with my bath time. That way I don't smell like the rat afterwards.

I guess I can do the same thing with my bathroom. Plan bathroom cleaning with rat excersise. That way the bathroom won't smell like the rat afterwards.

Looks like me and my bathroom are going to be cleaner than ever!

Words can not describe how crazy my beagle basset gets smelling rat smells! It stopped being cute a long time ago. It's so annoying.

Will he ever calm down and get over the fact there is a rat in the house?

Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,373,187 times
I think once the novelty wears off, he'll be fine. PC is that excited any time something new comes into the house, whether it's a live animal or a new ball!

I don't know what you have for bedding, but the red thing you see in my picture is actually a ferret hammock that hangs from the sides of the cage. My girls loved sleeping inside of there!

And we need pictures!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,191,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Roxy and Pebbles were so cute! Thank you for sharing their pictures with me!

He came with the name Bogart! Since he knows his name, I don't have the heart to change it. Plus, it's very appropriate----he packs away and hides everything!

You're right about the risk of his being accidently killed. That's why I've kept them apart.

I guess I'm going to have to put up with this crazy dog driving me insane.

It has gotten so bad that I plan my rat holding with my bath time. That way I don't smell like the rat afterwards.

I guess I can do the same thing with my bathroom. Plan bathroom cleaning with rat excersise. That way the bathroom won't smell like the rat afterwards.

Looks like me and my bathroom are going to be cleaner than ever!

Words can not describe how crazy my beagle basset gets smelling rat smells! It stopped being cute a long time ago. It's so annoying.

Will he ever calm down and get over the fact there is a rat in the house?
Beagles especially were bred as hunting dogs. I have had a beagle bassett mix, a basset and a harrier mix. Sniffing and tracking is their life. The harrier I have now doesn't know how to walk without his nose to the ground, even in the house. He looks up only when he hears something.

Hopefully the novelty will wear off and the curiousity will ebb. Good advice about keeping them separate for now.

It's so nice of you to take in Bogart. All you can do is your best. Even though it involves a lot of cleaning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or