U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 06:50 AM

1,177 posts, read 8,069,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Her snout looks a bit long to be full Pittie.

I vote Lab/Pit mix, or, just as likely, another blend of breeds that hasn't occurred to anyone - possibly several of them.
Old thread so not sure if OP will be back to see it.

It's hard to tell much from these photos (of course looks can be deceiving when it comes to breed), but going off the photos we have been giving the dog looks to possibly be a pure Pit Bull, an overweight one, but still pure bred. I would find Lab/Pit mix believable as well, it's a common mix and pretty generic look together with both breeds sharing some similarities.

What I find baffling is claiming muzzle length looks too long. Muzzle length looks correct for a Pit. The muzzle length should be the same length from nose to stop as from stop to back of the skull. Does this dog's muzzle actually look longer than that?
It also seems silly and contradictory to state it's too long for a Pit Bull, but okay for a Lab, when they have essentially the same requirements for muzzle length. If it's correct for a Lab, then it's correct for a Pit Bull and vice versa.

So it does seem like the poster said people see black and think Lab? Black Pit Bull (#1 ranked grand champion at that) head pics for reference. The OPs dog doesn't appear to have longer muzzle than a Pit Bull.

There is also the fact if the dogs muzzle was actually too long (or too short) wouldn't make the dog a mix. I can't account for this particular dogs breed(s) or purity, but in general having a fault doesn't = mix. The dog could be byb, bred for work, bred for dog sports, from an accidental but pure mating, or even bred for show but having a fault- not all dogs in a litter will be show quality, as well most show quality dogs still have minor flaws. This actually goes for any breed.
Attached Thumbnails
What Breed of Dog do you think This Is?-20171217_070407.jpg   What Breed of Dog do you think This Is?-20171217_071032.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 09:22 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,599,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Old thread so not sure if OP will be back to see it.

It's hard to tell much from these photos (of course looks can be deceiving when it comes to breed), but going off the photos we have been giving the dog looks to possibly be a pure Pit Bull, an overweight one, but still pure bred. I would find Lab/Pit mix believable as well, it's a common mix and pretty generic look together with both breeds sharing some similarities.

What I find baffling is claiming muzzle length looks too long. Muzzle length looks correct for a Pit. The muzzle length should be the same length from nose to stop as from stop to back of the skull. Does this dog's muzzle actually look longer than that?
It also seems silly and contradictory to state it's too long for a Pit Bull, but okay for a Lab, when they have essentially the same requirements for muzzle length. If it's correct for a Lab, then it's correct for a Pit Bull and vice versa.

So it does seem like the poster said people see black and think Lab? Black Pit Bull (#1 ranked grand champion at that) head pics for reference. The OPs dog doesn't appear to have longer muzzle than a Pit Bull.

There is also the fact if the dogs muzzle was actually too long (or too short) wouldn't make the dog a mix. I can't account for this particular dogs breed(s) or purity, but in general having a fault doesn't = mix. The dog could be byb, bred for work, bred for dog sports, from an accidental but pure mating, or even bred for show but having a fault- not all dogs in a litter will be show quality, as well most show quality dogs still have minor flaws. This actually goes for any breed.
Well, excuse me all to hell. I did not say it was too long, I said it looked a bit long, meaning in comparison to other Pits I have known. Also, I can see that it is an old thread. I am not the one who resurrected it.

I offered an opinion, which is pretty much all anyone can do without seeing the dog's papers or a DNA test.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:26 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,644,456 times
I think Lab/Pit mix too. She does look a bit like my dog who is a Lab/Catahoula mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs