U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,771,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Well, I tried, but he really wants a blue pittie. But, the good news is that I found this one and we've gotten the rescue organization paperwork faxed over to have her spayed and ready for pick up hopefully this weekend! I'm really excited because this poor baby has been sitting in this shelter since October!! Thankfully, it's a no-kill shelter.

And to top it off, I may have also found a home for this collie as well who is currently at a shelter near me. A different person had been looking for a tri-color adult collie, so I'm hoping she likes this one! There's a video on him, he seems so sweet!

So, hopefully if all goes well, I'll be driving down to central Illinois this weekend to pick up the pittie from Macon County Animal Control.

Latetotheparty ~ if you have any need for a transport going from Decatur, IL up to the Chicago area this weekend, let me know and maybe they can hitch a ride with me.

ACTUALLY..... SEMO animal rescue is doing a 10-dog transport up that way..... i'll send the email on to you by dm to see if you can take a leg .......

i have company coming in on friday, 4/23 and i HAVE to clean my house this coming weekend..... or i won't be able to let them in the door...... ..... but i may still fill in on a leg if they absolutely need it...... they almost always have a hard time getting drivers for the cape girardeau to st. louis leg......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:15 PM

7,526 posts, read 7,193,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
ACTUALLY..... SEMO animal rescue is doing a 10-dog transport up that way..... i'll send the email on to you by dm to see if you can take a leg .......

i have company coming in on friday, 4/23 and i HAVE to clean my house this coming weekend..... or i won't be able to let them in the door...... ..... but i may still fill in on a leg if they absolutely need it...... they almost always have a hard time getting drivers for the cape girardeau to st. louis leg......
Got your DM, I hope this works out but I could possibly take a few of those legs of the transport. I'll DM ya back.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:32 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,563,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
This sounds accusatory. Am I misreading the tone of this post?

When I search Petfinders, I'm certainly not searching for breeds I don't like, which can be defined as the small, yappy breeds. My searches will result in Labs, APBTs, Dobermans, Dogos, etc. I can't remember the last time I searched for available Shih Tzus. Or cats.

By drawing attention to this one particular dog, the OP has certainly done more than I've done lately to help save the life of a dog.
Obviously, the OP loves dogs. And yes, I understand that the lab caused a reaction. I guess what I objected to was that a particular breed caused a reaction when every dog listed urgent should cause a reaction; at least, they did for me (an emotional reaction, anyway). And now, b/c of the OP's initial post, I am aware that each and every dog that I have seen on that urgent list is probably going to die. I understand that this happens all of the time but it's different when you see their faces.

I'm not really sure what kind of an answer that is but it's the truth. I dn't think that I meant to attack/accuse the OP; it's just that the whole thing was very, very upsetting to me and I react to every breed, not just specific ones (again, not a criticism).

Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 PM

7,526 posts, read 7,193,422 times
Starla, I know it's upsetting. I checked their site and all the urgent dogs were gone... likely euth'd today. You have NO idea how many cross-posted emails I get every day with pictures upon pictures of death-row dogs. Seeing their sad faces, and knowing they only have hours left to live is VERY upsetting. I just got a list today from a shelter in South Carolina that has 30 death row dogs that are being euth'd tomorrow morning. Some of them only came into the shelter today! They will all be put down at 7:30am Wednesday. That's why it is so important to spay/neuter pets.

Here's some eye opening statistics:
Quote:
There are approximately 45 cats and dogs for every person born.
Only 1 out of 10 dogs born ever get a home.
Only 1 out of 12 cats born ever find a home.
Approximately 800 dogs & cats are KILLED each HOUR in the United States,
because there are not enough homes for them!
Some of us do what we can by fostering, transporting, and volunteering our time, money, and services to help as many as we can. If you truly want to help some of these death row dogs, there are so many that need our help. Even if you aren't able to help by fostering or transporting, you can sponsor an urgent animal at many of the shelters in hopes of helping get him/her adopted. Basically, you're paying the adoption/pull fee that the shelter charges so any interested party looking to adopt the pet wouldn't have to pay it. It goes towards paying for their vetting and spaying prior to adoption. If the dog doesn't get adopted, you can request that the money be put towards another dog. There are many ways to help these animals. Some need your time, some need your home temporarily until they find their forever home, some need help with vetting, and some need help getting the word spread.

This is the euthanasia list from the shelter that I rescued my dog from Greenville (http://www.noahs-arks.net/RESCUE/Greenville.html - broken link) Lot's of sad faces. We've also sponsored dogs there by paying the $60 pull/adoption fee. They don't always get rescued. There was one that my sister was hell bent on saving, she sponsored him and he still didn't get adopted. She was in tears. I still remember the faces of the dogs I didn't pick when I rescued mine from that shelter... a sweetie named Daisy, another named Duke. It still haunts me knowing that they got put down.

I'm not sure what part of the country you're from, but if you're interested in really helping save some of these dogs, start by contacting shelters near you. Find out which ones are no-kill, and which aren't. Ask if they accept animals from high kill shelters, and if there are any transport groups that you could help out with. Contact rescue groups in your area. My sister and I have contacts all over the southeast up towards the Chicago area, and we've only really been involved in this for the past year. Of course, these are just suggestions, but by doing what we can in each of our own little ways no matter how big or small, we can help out just a few more animals from being euth'd.

Sorry this turned out to be quite the diatribe, but honestly, the rewards from helping get dogs placed (in whatever capacity you can) does help you deal with pain of the faces you know you can't save. Just a thought.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 AM

2,806 posts, read 6,500,485 times
I just want to say THANK YOU to all of you out there who help animals in need...it's a gut-wrenching thing to know you can't save them all, but as long as we all keep doing what we can, we are helping...and it's a start...

Old 04-14-2010, 03:22 AM

10,494 posts, read 23,130,618 times
Thankfully, this dog was adopted. I love labs and would have hated to see this poor guy put to sleep, especially so young.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Starla, I know it's upsetting. I checked their site and all the urgent dogs were gone... likely euth'd today. You have NO idea how many cross-posted emails I get every day with pictures upon pictures of death-row dogs. Seeing their sad faces, and knowing they only have hours left to live is VERY upsetting. I just got a list today from a shelter in South Carolina that has 30 death row dogs that are being euth'd tomorrow morning. Some of them only came into the shelter today! They will all be put down at 7:30am Wednesday. That's why it is so important to spay/neuter pets.

Here's some eye opening statistics:

Some of us do what we can by fostering, transporting, and volunteering our time, money, and services to help as many as we can. If you truly want to help some of these death row dogs, there are so many that need our help. Even if you aren't able to help by fostering or transporting, you can sponsor an urgent animal at many of the shelters in hopes of helping get him/her adopted. Basically, you're paying the adoption/pull fee that the shelter charges so any interested party looking to adopt the pet wouldn't have to pay it. It goes towards paying for their vetting and spaying prior to adoption. If the dog doesn't get adopted, you can request that the money be put towards another dog. There are many ways to help these animals. Some need your time, some need your home temporarily until they find their forever home, some need help with vetting, and some need help getting the word spread.

This is the euthanasia list from the shelter that I rescued my dog from Greenville (http://www.noahs-arks.net/RESCUE/Greenville.html - broken link) Lot's of sad faces. We've also sponsored dogs there by paying the $60 pull/adoption fee. They don't always get rescued. There was one that my sister was hell bent on saving, she sponsored him and he still didn't get adopted. She was in tears. I still remember the faces of the dogs I didn't pick when I rescued mine from that shelter... a sweetie named Daisy, another named Duke. It still haunts me knowing that they got put down.

I'm not sure what part of the country you're from, but if you're interested in really helping save some of these dogs, start by contacting shelters near you. Find out which ones are no-kill, and which aren't. Ask if they accept animals from high kill shelters, and if there are any transport groups that you could help out with. Contact rescue groups in your area. My sister and I have contacts all over the southeast up towards the Chicago area, and we've only really been involved in this for the past year. Of course, these are just suggestions, but by doing what we can in each of our own little ways no matter how big or small, we can help out just a few more animals from being euth'd.

Sorry this turned out to be quite the diatribe, but honestly, the rewards from helping get dogs placed (in whatever capacity you can) does help you deal with pain of the faces you know you can't save. Just a thought.
well said......

i get many of these same emails, plus others from other parts of the country.... lots of days, i can't even open them because i know i can't do anything to help....

but i do do what i can when i can for the few that i can.... and that is a great feeling..... helps relieve a tiny bit of the bad feeling of not being able to help them all.....

anyone who does anything with rescue will say the same thing (i think) ..... there are some who just leap right into your heart from the computer screen.... no rhyme or reason why..... it just happens..... same thing happens on transports..... some just immediately become heart dogs for the few hours they are in your life..... all are special and lovable..... it just seems that with some, a special connection or bond is formed at first glance.......

can't find the words to describe it better......

try it sometime.......

Old 04-14-2010, 06:50 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,298,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I just want to say THANK YOU to all of you out there who help animals in need...it's a gut-wrenching thing to know you can't save them all, but as long as we all keep doing what we can, we are helping...and it's a start...
Well said!!!!

Thank you every much!!!

I am such a cry baby I can't always read the threads.

So I donate.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:20 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,563,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
well said......

i get many of these same emails, plus others from other parts of the country.... lots of days, i can't even open them because i know i can't do anything to help....

but i do do what i can when i can for the few that i can.... and that is a great feeling..... helps relieve a tiny bit of the bad feeling of not being able to help them all.....

anyone who does anything with rescue will say the same thing (i think) ..... there are some who just leap right into your heart from the computer screen.... no rhyme or reason why..... it just happens..... same thing happens on transports..... some just immediately become heart dogs for the few hours they are in your life..... all are special and lovable..... it just seems that with some, a special connection or bond is formed at first glance.......

can't find the words to describe it better......

try it sometime.......
OMG, I could never deal with that. I also could never work in a shelter; I would be an emotional wreck

Old 04-14-2010, 02:24 PM

i hear ya' about working in a shelter..... i just don't have the cojones for it and have nothing but admiration and respect for most who do....

but there are MANY other ways to work or help in rescue.....

transport driver

transport coordinator (another one i personally could not do.... too nerve wracking getting 'ports filled and ENTIRELY too many balls being juggled in the air at the same time.....)

foster

volunteer with a rescue group.... help them at adoption events, help them with fundraising..... offer to take pictures of the adoptable pets and write little bios for them to go on petfinder, home visits for prospective adopters, checking references, etc. for prospective adopters..... the list goes on and on and on.......

then you might see what we mean about how some dogs just reach out and grab hold of your heart......

eta ..... just today i got an email about a couple of other dogs in the same shelter that started this thread (i think it was the same shelter) and forwarded it on to the people in the yahoo groups i am in ..... and not even 30 minutes later i got a reply from a possible potential foster..... so, sometimes lightening DOES strike.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or