U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM

572 posts, read 895,687 times
Default Flea and Tick Shampoo

I washed my puppy last night in Hartz flea and tick killer and she started acting as though she was sick. I've bathed her in it before along with Bio Spot, but never had a problem before; but I did use more shampoo last night as I found a tick on her...She was very lethargic, wouldn't play and didn't want to walk around. My husband and I were besides ourselves with worry as we LOVE this little girl. I suspected it might be the pesticide in the shampoo and did research and found some info against the product. I told my husband I want to give her another bath and wash off any residual shampoo she might have had on her. This morning she was back to herself (thank God!) and very playful all day...Anyone have any problems with Flea and Tick shampoo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 PM

29,990 posts, read 18,675,335 times
Hope your puppy recovers. You might just use a gentle unscented baby shampoo to wash the residue off.

I've always used the Adam's brand (flea/tick) shampoo & mist on my dogs but only during the season. You might compare the ingredients and talk with your vet about the reaction. There may be a minimum age/weight to begin using these products.

Adams Flea and Tick Products

Old 04-13-2010, 07:19 PM

11,441 posts, read 8,467,249 times
I've been using Hartz shampoo on my two terriers for years without any problem. I don't shampoo their heads, the whole body and neck only. I know never to get water into their ears. Maybe your puppy managed to swallow some shampoo. I prefer to remove ticks with tweezers, it works well.
Whenever my dogs have fleas I clean one room, wash the dogs, then put them in the clean room to dry while I clean the other rooms. In order to kill fleas (their larvae and eggs) in the carpet I put a mothball into the vacuum cleaner bag.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,610,795 times
my Pit has a lot of skin issues and even some of the so called gentlest f/t shampooos cause problems .. I found by trial and error that we could do well with Head & Shoulders and seleun blue shampoos for humans.. they dont mess with his skin like the pet stuff seems to .. ( he lost his back hair once from us using Hartz Oatmeal shampoo.. HONEST! it was awfull) Baby shampoo seems to do the best with dogs like that .. I dont know why thier hair falls out .. No it wasnt food related he seems to have a big allergry to something in the pet shampoos .. so he gets a human shampoo and for us it seems to work .. I do use flea meds on him ( NO flea collors tho ) so for us human shampooo was the answer .. I wonder if its just him or his breed or breeding ..
next time use baby shampoo and just leave it on a bit longer the soap smoothers them and after use a good flea comb on him ..

Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 AM

572 posts, read 895,687 times
Thanks everyone...She's OK...right her playing by my side...I've thought of baby shampoo and that's what I'm going to use on her next...

Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,718,906 times
Baby shampoo is made for human babies. The PH of a baby and a dog are totally different, and you'll end up with a tons of skin issues if you use shampoos meant for humans on a dog.

That said, try products by Earthbath. They are very mild, biodegradable, and smell great. They have an unscented one, but I use mango tango and have never ha a dog with any kind of skin issues.

The chemicals in Hartz are way too harsh for a dog to handle.

Pints :: earthbath® - totally natural pet care

Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 AM

1,457 posts, read 1,632,861 times
I've always used Adams Flea & tick and have never had a problem with any of them reacting to it. I believe I read somewhere that dishwashing soap Dawn helps with fleas, not sure if it's true. I hate ticks. I only had 1 dog that had a problem with getting rid of ticks. Tried a lot of things, the only thing that helped her was a collar, and I don't remember which brand. All this stuff has chemicals, so I would assume some would react different than others.
Glad to read that your girl is doing better.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM

29,990 posts, read 18,675,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
I've always used Adams Flea & tick and have never had a problem with any of them reacting to it. I believe I read somewhere that dishwashing soap Dawn helps with fleas, not sure if it's true. I hate ticks. I only had 1 dog that had a problem with getting rid of ticks. Tried a lot of things, the only thing that helped her was a collar, and I don't remember which brand. All this stuff has chemicals, so I would assume some would react different than others.
Glad to read that your girl is doing better.
Good reminder, yes, I've also heard that Dawn dishsoap is good for treating dogs & cats for fleas. You know it is gentle enough to be used because of how they use it with wildlife recue in oil slicks.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 681 times
It could have killed her. The chemicals in flea and tick shampoo are to strong for puppies under 16-26 months. The chemicals are absorbed through the skin and there bodies can't handle it. I'm a vet tech and I've seen A lot of people that make that mistake. You were very lucky she's still alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs