U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:01 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times

Advertisements

Agree that shock training is a big mistake. Negative training (taking away his chew when he growled) is what got him where he's at now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 03:13 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,079,498 times
I agree with you about the electronic collar and I tried to find a positive trainer that had experience dealing with aggression like this and I couldn't find any. The only trainers I found that I was considering all use electronic collars.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
I agree with you about the electronic collar and I tried to find a positive trainer that had experience dealing with aggression like this and I couldn't find any. The only trainers I found that I was considering all use electronic collars.
I find that hard to believe. There is just no way ALL trainers who deal with aggression use shock collars.

You live in one of the 4th largest metropolitian area in the country.

I'm going to make some calls to Houston shelters and veternarians to get some recommendations for you.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:31 PM

295 posts, read 1,086,886 times
J-City,
Listen to Hopes. He/she is sharing solid knowledge and wisdom.

For positive trainers, check here: Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers and Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources. Their websites have searchable databases to locate positive trainers in your area.

Last, re the "trainer" you sent Charlie to, there are many red flags in what you've written of him/her - shock collars & 'lifetime guarantee' are just 2 of them. IMO, if the business name initials of the "trainer" you sent Charlie to is "SMS", go get him NOW & don't ever look back. FWIW, "SMS" has been refused membership in the APDT.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:00 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,079,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
J-City,
Listen to Hopes. He/she is sharing solid knowledge and wisdom.

For positive trainers, check here: Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers and Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources. Their websites have searchable databases to locate positive trainers in your area.

Last, re the "trainer" you sent Charlie to, there are many red flags in what you've written of him/her - shock collars & 'lifetime guarantee' are just 2 of them. IMO, if the business name initials of the "trainer" you sent Charlie to is "SMS", go get him NOW & don't ever look back. FWIW, "SMS" has been refused membership in the APDT.
Those aren't his business initials. And I really do trust the trainer. I've gotten recommendations for him from friends who have anxious dogs like Charlie. Now that I think about it, I definitely know what the business name is that you're talking about! I called them, but the trainer sounded really unsure on the phone when I was asking him questions so I didn't trust him.

Last edited by J-CityRelo; 04-16-2010 at 05:12 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 AM

399 posts, read 1,960,526 times
A dog owner should be able to take ANYTHING away from a dog without a growl or bite. It is something that one should work on throughout their dog's life. For each of my dogs they learn to 'drop it' and 'wait' then they get 'whatever' back when I say good girl. They know they'll eventually get it back. My dogs are not allowed to resource guard ANYTHING. And I am allowed to take anything at all from them, my kids can, anyone can....and they'd BETTER be FINE with it. Saying that you caused these problems with Charlie is RIDICULOUS. He is getting too protective of things as he gets older and without any repercussions from his nasty response, it will just continue to happen and get WORSE.

I am glad you have him at a trainer that you trust. Please check on him visually daily and train with them.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
Saying that you caused these problems with Charlie is RIDICULOUS. He is getting too protective of things as he gets older and without any repercussions from his nasty response, it will just continue to happen and get WORSE.
Funny. Can't you see the contradiction in what you've said?!?!?

The OP DID CAUSE Charlie's problems by not providing appropriate repercussions all along.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,252,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Funny. Can't you see the contradiction in what you've said?!?!? The OP DID CAUSE Charlie's problems by not providing appropriate repercussions all along.
Totally correct.

My pup was very food aggressive when I first got him. And he was just a wee little pup. THAT stopped in short order.

You should practice taking something out of your dog's mouth - from day one - and praise him when you immediately give it back. It's all about positive reinforcement used consistently throughout their lives. They will learn to trust that you are not stealing their food.

If you don't nip that food aggression in the bud, you're going to have a serious problem. As you did. Don't give up on Charlie, please.

This thread is reminiscent of another thread. It was always the dog's fault for very correctable issues, which the OP kept reinforcing. J-CityRelo, you have been given excellent and appropriate advice.

Avail yourself of others' knowledge and experience. Don't give up on Charlie, please.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:39 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,298,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i'm not judging you, i'm judging your trainer!

i'm not suggesting that you try this on your own, just that a trainer who takes your dog away from you for 3 weeks without you at least attending regular training sessions with him during that time probably isn't a good idea. i understand if that's the only option you have in the area - it's hard to find trainers who deal with serious aggression.

the e-collar thing has been discussed to death, i think most people know my opinion on that.

i'd suggest seeing if you can find a suitable trainer here who will work with both you and your dog: Dog Trainer Search . but i understand that you are in a scary and very time sensitive situations and you're doing what you can.
I completely agree that the e-collar thing has been discussed to death (although I must say that J-City has probably had an "ah-ha" moment by actually trying out the e-collar), but I disagree that boarding the dog away from his or her owner is necessarily a problem. The way you have to look at it is that when you hand over your dog and your first check, you're out of the dog's life temporarily and the dog becomes the trainer's dog. When you get the dog back the trainer will probably know the dog better than you. The trainer will need some time with you out of the picture to establish a relationship with the dog, becoming the source of all things good and the person to be respected above all others. That takes some time and it can be counterproductive if the owner is frequently in the picture. If it were me, I wouldn't sweat a little alone time or some "pathetic drama" from the dog as you ride off into the sunset. The dog will be okay; Charlie will receive daily physical and mental exercise, daily human attention, plenty of water, consistent food, a lot of interesting sights, smells and sounds and will generally be acting like a dog. His spirit will be intact when you see him again, he will know exactly who you are, you will quickly resume your position in his heart as the source of all things good and (hopefully) the person or people to be respected above all others and he will be very, very happy to see you after a long break.

I will say this: If, when you next see Charlie, he looks "wincey" or traumatized - go with your gut. You should be able to see it on his face if Charlie thinks his training has been fair.

The other thing to understand is that if Charlie is a willful dog, he will start pushing to fall back into his old habits immediately. It doesn't last forever, but those first few weeks with Charlie home from boot camp are extremely important. You will be telling Charlie exactly what you expect of him and letting him know how the rules he learned with the trainer are going to be enforced. If he comes home and learns that those rules don't really apply at your house, this whole process will have been a waste.

Out of curiousity, is Charlie being trained in Sugarland?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:43 PM

43,410 posts, read 52,413,699 times
From day one, when we got our dogs as puppies, we would randomly take food away from them at any moment to show that the food is ours, not theirs. We would then reward them for acting appropriately (usually they just looked at us balefully) and then return the food/toy/chew/whatever.

Charlie may be used to owning his things and is therefore becoming more aggressive in his demonstrations of protecting them. Start over with this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or