Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:26 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Agree that shock training is a big mistake. Negative training (taking away his chew when he growled) is what got him where he's at now.
This is what is ridiculous. Maybe she didn't train him well enough to prevent what happened but saying that taking his chew away is what got him where he is at is moronic. He was probably feeling more ballsy as dogs do as they get older and try and take stands against leaders, and he took a big chance and won(especially in his eyes). BUT, to say NEVER take things away from dogs is misguided. You should ALWAYS practice taking things from your pets their whole lives long. I have my KIDS do it as well. I always have a doberman and keeping up training on a large dog is essential, and that entails making sure the dog knows that ALL things in the house belong to US, not them, and they are allowed to pleasantly share it with us with proper behavior, and I will take whatever I want whenever I want and it is understood well. I don't care what my dogs think if they don't get it back (they 99.9% of the time do) but at no time do I even ever allow them to growl at the cat walking by, and they do get things taken away for growling, because it is unacceptable. But I can't even tell you how many times that has ever happened (only very few in the initial stages maybe 1 or 2) and never after with every single dog that I have ever owned.

There is no perfect way to train dogs as they are all individuals, regardless of the breed. I think that you have to tailor training to the individual with a mix of positive, NLIF, and some negative repercussions if necessary, and a whole lot of creative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,706 times
Wicked Felina: I'm not giving up on Charlie. I accept that we could have done things differently and we are definitely learning that now.

Jimboburnsy: Thank you!!! That's exactly the way the trainer said it (in terms of why Charlie should be boarded-- away from us). Thanks for the advice on after Charlie comes home, we will definitely be on our game. That's why I want to absorb everything the trainer is saying now and throughout the 3 weeks so I can be absolutely prepared.

Stan4: that is exactly it, Charlie thinks he owns his chews, that will definitely change.

tigafan: I agree that different dogs need different training. Charlie is the type of dog to always challenge us and in his case he needs a lot of structure.

I was very worried about the board and train scenario at first, but we talked to the trainer today, he said he hasn't even begun training yet, he's working on playing and doing fun things with Charlie and gaining his trust (taking our place--temporarily--in Charlie's mind) so that training will be effective. He said he's worked with dogs far worse than Charlie and he's never had one of his dogs be PTS because of aggression, he can always work with them. Apparently Charlie doesn't have diarrhea or anything and he's eating normally and is doing fine.

When Charlie comes home we're going to have to show him that he owns nothing, everything is ours, no toys, no getting up on furniture, no treats, so he has nothing to guard. We'll learn more about the training in a few weeks, but for now I'm pretty much assured that after training is done, we can handle it!!! This may not seem like much, but it's a HUGE weight off my shoulders just knowing that this is going to be OK.

I was even thinking that with all this training (for both me and Charlie) maybe I can start doing a doggie sport or something that really helps him use his energy and his brain! I don't think he'd be quick enough for agility, but maybe tracking or something like that... Any ideas?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,670,954 times
this might fall into the same category as agility, but have you considered flyball?

Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,174 times
sorry I have no idea, but what type of dog is Charlie?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:54 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,706 times
He's a German Shepherd mix, he not so much high energy so flyball might not work...but maybe something where he uses his nose. I'm going to do some research on tracking...I'm wondering if older (middle-aged, really) dogs can still learn it...?

Oh and Jimboburnsy: the trainer isn't in Sugarland, he's in Webster. I can give you his info, if you need it just DM me.

Thanks so much for all the advise so far!!!! I REALLY appreciate it, it's helping me understand the situation so much better!! And I'm just so relieved that Charlie is going to be OK.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
He's a German Shepherd mix, he not so much high energy so flyball might not work...but maybe something where he uses his nose. I'm going to do some research on tracking...I'm wondering if older (middle-aged, really) dogs can still learn it...?

Oh and Jimboburnsy: the trainer isn't in Sugarland, he's in Webster. I can give you his info, if you need it just DM me.

Thanks so much for all the advise so far!!!! I REALLY appreciate it, it's helping me understand the situation so much better!! And I'm just so relieved that Charlie is going to be OK.
Nah, I was just wondering if I knew the guy...

Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Wicked Felina: I'm not giving up on Charlie. I accept that we could have done things differently and we are definitely learning that now.

When Charlie comes home we're going to have to show him that he owns nothing, everything is ours, no toys, no getting up on furniture, no treats, so he has nothing to guard. We'll learn more about the training in a few weeks, but for now I'm pretty much assured that after training is done, we can handle it!!! This may not seem like much, but it's a HUGE weight off my shoulders just knowing that this is going to be OK.
Excellent! I didn't mean to imply that you actually would give up on him, especially since you've gone to a professional trainer and were seriously looking for help and answers. Guess I am just sensitive to folks dumping dogs because they become a problem through no fault of their own.

I am so happy for you that you feel that huge weight off of your shoulders. Congratulations on sticking with it, and helping your family stay together ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs