Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

We have a squirrel that hangs out in the yard and eats our walnuts. It runs up the tree everytime my beagle basset goes out into the yard. It goes to the very top and hides. There are cats that go into our yard and they also run whenever the dogs go outside. That same goes for neighborhood squirrels and cats when we take walks.

Lately, I've been taking my beagle basset for walks in the city each day. I have an hour to kill while my son is at college. It makes more sense for me to hang out downtown than go home for 30 minutes and go back to pick him up. I thought this was a great opportunity for dog walking.

But I've discovered that city squirrels and cats are very aggressive! The squirrels run up the tree but only a foot out of reach and turn around and stare down the dog and even me! Even worse, a cat attacked my dog on the sidewalk last week. My dog didn't do anything wrong. We were walking on the sidewalk. The cat was laying in the yard. My dog hadn't even noticed the cat, but the cat came running out of the yard into the sidewalk and hissed and scratched at my dog. I was able to pull the leash back quickly enough so he didn't get scratched.

I'm shocked by the brazen behavor of the city squirrels and cats! Why is everything rougher in the city---even the wildlife and pets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:51 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,604 times
I can't help but laugh reading through this. I live in the city and I totally agree about the squirrels. They sit in the trees and taunt my dogs. They run across the top of the fence on my patio and my dogs go nuts in the living room, bum rushing the sliding glass door to the point that I think one day they're going to go through it. They're so mean!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
In NYC's Union Square Park I have found the squirrels to be so tame that they will actually take snacks right out of my hand and sit there eating them. As for harassing dogs, no, I haven't seen that but I don't walk a dog in the city either.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:24 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
The squirrels and cats may be mean but you have a beagle/basset mix and you're worried? Beagles and bassets are bred for hunting game like rabbits, groundhogs, foxes and birds. I think if your dog was given the choice he wouldn't have a problem dealing with either of these foes. I once saw a basset hound chasing a deer for more than 20 minutes through the woods of Maine!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:47 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Ah, yes the joys of squirrels and cats. My doggie wants to play with cats but they hiss back. Squirrels run as fast as possible up trees. If my doggie could climb trees, he would.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:02 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I once saw a basset hound chasing a deer for more than 20 minutes through the woods of Maine!
Bad, bad idea. Unknown are Maines laws on this, but in some states running deer with dogs is illegal, and habitual offenders can be shot by authorities. Next, while deer usually choose flight over fight, not always. Bucks can be very aggressive during the rut, and dangerous at any time of year. Does defending fawns are very determined. Both sexes have sharp hooves and bucks will be wearing racks for about half the year. A basset would be in over its head if an adult deer stood its ground, although as mentioned, deer usually prefer to just outrun a predator.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 PM

5,006 posts, read 10,684,206 times
That's funny. I often rile my dog up by telling her that I saw some squirrels, and they were laughing at her--she goes crazy! And my cat has been known to jump out of the bushes at small dogs and their owners on their walks, and we don't even live in a city.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Bad, bad idea. Unknown are Maines laws on this, but in some states running deer with dogs is illegal, and habitual offenders can be shot by authorities. Next, while deer usually choose flight over fight, not always. Bucks can be very aggressive during the rut, and dangerous at any time of year. Does defending fawns are very determined. Both sexes have sharp hooves and bucks will be wearing racks for about half the year. A basset would be in over its head if an adult deer stood its ground, although as mentioned, deer usually prefer to just outrun a predator.

This is an example of hunting breed tenacity that I witnessed myself. The basset(or perhaps a small beagle) had a doe on the run. My husband and I were preparing for the hunting season ourselves when we heard the doe panting and running. The dog followed a half minute behind on a light trot. Deer will not face down a dog unless they feel there is no other alternative. There are few instances of deer attacking dogs. Deer are built to run. But we digress. I used this instance to illustrate that a squirrel is no match for a dog of that size no matter how mean.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
We got flashed by a squirrel. Laugh? I nearly wet myself.

Big city park, me and two very well trained dogs on leads. Squirrel is on the path directly ahead of us. Dogs go into stalking mode (they don't change their gait or alter their pace, but the whole body changes). Squirrel sees this and... and the wee bugger stood up on his hind legs while holding his front paws off to the side in perfect flasher style. All he was missing was the trench coat.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:39 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
When I saw the post I thought by cat you meant mountian lions or bob cats, so I was going to post what we do to help keep them away when we go for walks in our neighborhood. But I see its housecats, I have no experience with those issues. Cats don't last around here unless they stay very close to home. They are coyote and mountian lion food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs