U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 PM

5,792 posts, read 9,259,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
When I saw the post I thought by cat you meant mountian lions or bob cats, so I was going to post what we do to help keep them away when we go for walks in our neighborhood. But I see its housecats, I have no experience with those issues. Cats don't last around here unless they stay very close to home. They are coyote and mountian lion food.
Haha--we live in SoCal but own property in North Idaho. Our ID neighbor told us that all winter long she and her dogs had been stalked by a "big ol' tom," and I thought, big deal, I love cats! Until I realized she was talking about a mountain lion!
Squirrels can be downright vicious (and the flasher story is priceless!). We have a backyard full of them. Squirrels, I mean! And their cuteness is lost on our White Shepherd--she hates them, and will kill them whenever she gets a chance. Great White Hunter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 04:52 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,776,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
We got flashed by a squirrel. Laugh? I nearly wet myself.

Big city park, me and two very well trained dogs on leads. Squirrel is on the path directly ahead of us. Dogs go into stalking mode (they don't change their gait or alter their pace, but the whole body changes). Squirrel sees this and... and the wee bugger stood up on his hind legs while holding his front paws off to the side in perfect flasher style. All he was missing was the trench coat.

hahahahhahaaa..... thanks for the LOL chuckle this early Wednesday morning......

Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,679,641 times
you see stray cats in downtown pittsburgh??

out in wilkinsburg (fairly urban suburb for those not from the area) i see strays all the time but they won't let themselves get anywhere near me or my dog. one cat we saw the other day did lie down in the middle of the street maybe 20 feet away from us but he didn't approach us or anything.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,025,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
you see stray cats in downtown pittsburgh??
I was in the park and neighborhood immediately near CCAC in North Side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
out in wilkinsburg (fairly urban suburb for those not from the area) i see strays all the time but they won't let themselves get anywhere near me or my dog. one cat we saw the other day did lie down in the middle of the street maybe 20 feet away from us but he didn't approach us or anything.
The squirrels were a surprise, but the cat was a total shock!

I've never seen a cat act like that! Cats usually run away or lay at a distance like you described.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 AM

22,751 posts, read 16,193,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was in the park and neighborhood immediately near CCAC in North Side.

The squirrels were a surprise, but the cat was a total shock!

I've never seen a cat act like that! Cats usually run away or lay at a distance like you described.
There are a couple of cats like that in my neighborhood. They aren't strays - best I can figure, they are just really protective of their territory. They actually will stalk my dogs if we pass by one of their houses when we are out walking. Not sure what the cats plan to do if they 'catch' one of the dogs but, it is pretty amusing to watch.

As for the squirrels, there used to be one particular squirrel that lived in the tree in front of my apartment when I was still in NJ - I swear s/he waited there everyday for me to come out with the dogs so s/he could taunt them. Drove my Sibe absolutely crazy.
Seems like some of these critters have a bit more attitude than they used to

Old 04-21-2010, 11:28 AM

16,408 posts, read 28,822,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
There are a couple of cats like that in my neighborhood. They aren't strays - best I can figure, they are just really protective of their territory. They actually will stalk my dogs if we pass by one of their houses when we are out walking. Not sure what the cats plan to do if they 'catch' one of the dogs but, it is pretty amusing to watch.

As for the squirrels, there used to be one particular squirrel that lived in the tree in front of my apartment when I was still in NJ - I swear s/he waited there everyday for me to come out with the dogs so s/he could taunt them. Drove my Sibe absolutely crazy.
Seems like some of these critters have a bit more attitude than they used to
Territorial ain't a strong enough word for some of them ...

Check out this declawed cat who treed a black bear:

Photo in the News: Cat Chases Bear Up Tree

BBC NEWS | Americas | Tabby cat terror for black bear

cat trees bear - Google Search

Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 AM

22,751 posts, read 16,193,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Territorial ain't a strong enough word for some of them ...

Check out this declawed cat who treed a black bear:

Photo in the News: Cat Chases Bear Up Tree

BBC NEWS | Americas | Tabby cat terror for black bear

cat trees bear - Google Search
Priceless Thanks for the links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or