Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:44 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,986,182 times

Advertisements

all good advice so far.....

i also have a couple of puzzle toys that i put down for my dogs..... each filled with mostly kibble and just enough treats to keep it interesting..... one is a red ball that is dimpled like a golf ball .... the other is a blue plastic cube.... they have to push and roll them around to get the goodies out...... both of my dogs LOVE these toys and get about half of their daily kibble out of them..... keeps them busy and makes them work and think for their goodies....

granted there are days i come home to find kibble all over the floor..... they have snarfed up the treats and left the kibble for later..... but they always eat it up before i have been home too long.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,264,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuwen84 View Post
From my experience, start with switching the radio on when you are at home with her. Then when you leave, still switch the radio on. Putting your "worn-before" clothes is also very comforting for her.

Before you leave, say "Bye bye" then leave without making a fuss. That will make her understand that "Bye bye" means she has to stay at home. That really helps a lot because she used to being so excited when we open the door and when we leave her behind, she looks so sad (almost like the Puss in Shrek). But after we start the "Bye bye" trick, she stays behind and go sleep.

Kong is also a great idea (or anything else that you know will keep him busy for long). For my case, Kong does not work. I have to give her a tasty knotted-bone so she will spend some time to un-knot it. Whichever suits your dog best.

Remember, however pitiful he looks when you leave, do not make a fuss out of it. It will encourage her that this is a normal routine and also gives her more confidence.
Good luck!
Excellent advice. I forgot about the radio,although it didnt make alot of
difference for Autumn. Not making a fuss is true,just leave. And boy can they give you the stink eye as your getting ready to leave. But,hey,its life,and you gotta go!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 AM

399 posts, read 2,250,518 times
Best thing to do before you leave is exhaust your dog. A good run for at least 30 minutes is the best way to ensure that your dog will rest well while you are gone. I personally take mine on a bike run and they LOVE hitting the hay before I leave. I do leave reggae music on too.....

Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,616,747 times
I generally walk my dog first thing in the morning so he can go do his business. Then I go get cleaned up, ready for work, and eat. Before I leave, I take him out one more time to pee.

I realize that dogs love routines. My dog has gotten pretty good at predicting when I come home. It's almost like he can tell time cause as soon as I pull up, his face is already in the window.

The tricky part for me, I think, will be finding ways to keep him occupied during the daytime. When I'm at home, he'll chew on his bone for hours. As long as I'm nearby, he'll let me do my own thing and continue chewing on the bone. But the moment I open the door like I'm about to leave, he drops the bone. I have no idea what he does when I'm gone. If he just goes back his bone or some other toy I leave for him, that would be great. I also worry about having accidents in the home. He's housebroken, but 10 hours by himself is a long time. He's an indoor dog and I don't have a yard so it's not like he can go in and out on his own.

I could leave the TV on for him and something that smells like me. But I still don't know if that'll be enough to comfort him. Until he becomes comfortable with my routine and believes that I'll always be home, I think he'll have a hard time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs