Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:53 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,590,593 times

Advertisements

I have a dog who has a difficult time being left alone. I've tried getting him used to it, leaving him at home by himself for longer and longer periods. But no matter what I do, he still can't seem to handle it. The problem is that I don't live close to work and can't come home in the middle of the day to check on him. And daycare is pretty expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions? And no, getting another dog to keep him company is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 02:57 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,038,200 times
How about a neighbor stopping in, or maybe one of the pet sitting services that come to your home? I wouldn't know what else to suggest except to maybe bring him to work with you

Old 04-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
I wouldn't know what else to suggest except to maybe bring him to work with you
If I could do that, I would. But I'd never get any work done because he'd either jump in my lap or wander around the office.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:11 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,366,226 times
Try a petsitter to come to the house to take him for a brief walk, play w/ him, etc - prices vary but it would prob. be a 1/2 visit and a lot cheaper than doggie day care esp. if you have someone come regularly. Even a reliable kid or adult might work out (but get ref's first). Otherwise it's a long day for a dog plus it would free you up if you need to stop off after work and do an quick errand etc.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:14 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,183,818 times
What do you mean by "a difficult time?" If it's just looking or acting depressed because you're leaving, guess what, your dog is normal. Dogs are extremely social creatures; none of them like it.

But anyway, try leaving a light and/or the radio on while you're away. Also maybe a shirt you've worn (ie so it has your "smells") on the bed or its bed which can be comforting (this also can help if putting it in a kennel for a period of time).

Old 04-21-2010, 03:37 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,234,699 times
If you can, try taking your dog on a good walk before you leave for work. Then, hire a petsitter or get one of the neighbors to take him out during the middle of the day. He's lonely and misses you. I agree with leaving either the radio or even the tv on for company. If he's good in the car, sometimes the petsitter can take him for an outing, especially with the nice weather coming up.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:42 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,061,561 times
Is there any family nearby that would like to dog sit or have dogs? Offer about half the price of daycare and bring kibble, dish and toys. Maybe you can drop him off before work and pick him up on the way back or they can stop by your home in the middle of the day if that's easier. If someone does drop by, make sure you know that they are stopping by. I've heard the horror stories of folks thinking their pet gets a visit but the sitter does not go thru.
Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Old 04-21-2010, 04:04 PM

I've thought about hiring a dogsitter, but I worry about how trustworthy they are. The dog doesn't just get depressed. He has a panic attack and it takes him quite a while to stop crying.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:37 PM

1,317 posts, read 5,256,619 times
Walk him before work(this is hard but a good thing for him,maybe not you)
Leave him an old shirt of yours
Leave him with a stuffed Kong toy
BE PATIENT,my girl was adopted back in Nov and just now has become
very good about us leaving. She was very panicy when we left. But now
she knows when we are getting ready,she just gets on her bed and watches
us leave. She is still OVERJOYED when we return,but she hasnt touched anything like she used to.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:17 AM

23 posts, read 127,495 times
From my experience, start with switching the radio on when you are at home with her. Then when you leave, still switch the radio on. Putting your "worn-before" clothes is also very comforting for her.

Before you leave, say "Bye bye" then leave without making a fuss. That will make her understand that "Bye bye" means she has to stay at home. That really helps a lot because she used to being so excited when we open the door and when we leave her behind, she looks so sad (almost like the Puss in Shrek). But after we start the "Bye bye" trick, she stays behind and go sleep.

Kong is also a great idea (or anything else that you know will keep him busy for long). For my case, Kong does not work. I have to give her a tasty knotted-bone so she will spend some time to un-knot it. Whichever suits your dog best.

Remember, however pitiful he looks when you leave, do not make a fuss out of it. It will encourage her that this is a normal routine and also gives her more confidence.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs