Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times

Advertisements

Nature's Recipe is at Petsmart - not part of the recall - no wheat, corn, soy products, dairy products or beef....lamb, chicken, rice, oatmeal, barley...and I think they have a venison blend, but my dogs had HORRIBLE gas from it! However, I believe their feeding recommendations to be way too much...but then again, I have couch potatoes. It's a wonder they need nutrition at all...

Evo is a really good food. Unfortunately, the closest place that sells it in our area is about 95 miles away from me....not real practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Yes, Evo is safe from the recalls. I can say as a fact that none of the foods we carry have been on any recalls.

Here is the website and it has a link on the page to find where to buy it. As for how much to feed, go by what he should weigh, not what he currently weighs. Beagle dogs (males) should weigh between 22 and 25 pounds. Make certain he has water with the food, meaning add it to the food.

Meat-Based Pet Food – Premium Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food, Dog Treats – EVO Pet Products (http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1488 - broken link)
Ok they sell it near here so that's not a problem. But which one do I buy? The reduced fat one?

With all this confusion you would never guess I've had 25 dogs go through my house this year...LOL

Old 06-12-2007, 09:35 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ok they sell it near here so that's not a problem. But which one do I buy? The reduced fat one?

With all this confusion you would never guess I've had 25 dogs go through my house this year...LOL
I've had no experience in the reduced fat, however I checked the actual site and the regular Evo is 43% protein and 22% fat, while the reduced if 52% protein and 15% fat. Someone not long ago was also researching this on here and someone mentioned to make certain to get the reduced fat.

I'm going to guess his protein and creatinine levels were fine? If so, then no big deal feeding something that high in protein... like I said, water, water, water

I think I'm changing my mind and wanting to suggest the small bites Evo rather than the RF, the protein level is way too high for my comfort, the ultimate choice is yours, you know him better.

Last edited by cleosmom; 06-12-2007 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 06-13-2007, 09:52 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I've had no experience in the reduced fat, however I checked the actual site and the regular Evo is 43% protein and 22% fat, while the reduced if 52% protein and 15% fat. Someone not long ago was also researching this on here and someone mentioned to make certain to get the reduced fat.

I'm going to guess his protein and creatinine levels were fine? If so, then no big deal feeding something that high in protein... like I said, water, water, water

I think I'm changing my mind and wanting to suggest the small bites Evo rather than the RF, the protein level is way too high for my comfort, the ultimate choice is yours, you know him better.
Thanks again. I did get the small bites...because I figured it would be ok as long as I fed him what he should be getting for what I want him to weigh. He ate it this morning...really liked it. If it works I may try it on one of my fosters, she chubby too...but we'll see. I'll let you know how he does with it. Again thanks so much!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:29 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Thanks again. I did get the small bites...because I figured it would be ok as long as I fed him what he should be getting for what I want him to weigh. He ate it this morning...really liked it. If it works I may try it on one of my fosters, she chubby too...but we'll see. I'll let you know how he does with it. Again thanks so much!
Yes, please do let me know how things go. Glad he enjoyed it

Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 PM

82 posts, read 109,948 times
I agree, change his food. Innova is good, but personally I feel Solid Gold is the best dry dog food available (Solid Gold Health Food for Pets). My lab went from 120lb to 100lb and ate the same daily portions. Proper nutrition and exercise will undoubtedly do the trick!

Old 06-14-2007, 02:15 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
I have to agree with alot of these posts. Just because it says light, doesn't mean that your dog will lose weight on it. It's all about the caloric intake and activity of the pet. The reccomendations on the bag aren't always suitable for your pet. I think R/D would be a great choice. Once you pet drops the weight, then you can go to a maintenance diet.
Becky, C.V.T.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 7,029 times
It's awesome that you all really care about your dogs' health, and are working to help them maintain a healthy weight. It can often be difficult to tell if your dog is at a healthy weight, which is why we created the BARC (Body Assessment Rating for Canines) quiz, BARC Survey (broken link). We're also encouraging dog owners to participate in the National Canine Weight Check by taking their dog to a participating vets office for a free weight check. For more information and a list of participating vets, visit National Canine Weight Check (broken link)

Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Evo is a really good food. Unfortunately, the closest place that sells it in our area is about 95 miles away from me....not real practical.
Oh, the beauty of the Internets! LOL...I know you end up paying extra in shipping, but if you get large quantities most places cut you a deal. Of course if you can support your local independent pet supply places, all the better, but if not, lots of places ship. I was able to get Solid Gold canned cat food through Care-a-Lot Pets, when none of the local distributors had it (here in NC or in Boston). Definitely worth looking into...

Old 01-21-2008, 04:18 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
Unfortunately Beagles are prone to weight gain and it can take a while for them to drop the pounds. A friend of mine in England used to breed them. They had a really strict diet and walked a lot of miles evey day. Playing ball in the back garden just isn't enough for these energetic little guys.

I'd consult your vet before changing his diet.

Good luck. He's a cute little guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs