U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,556,376 times

Advertisements

If you could ask a neighbor who also has a dog to come let the puppy out while you're at work, maybe you can offer to walk his/her dog in the afternoon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 12:58 PM

293 posts, read 885,464 times
I just looked again at the age of the puppy. At six weeks, that is a very young pup. Too young to be with other dogs or walking. Not until all of the shots are given, Parvo is a terrible thing. I think a nice sized X pen with toys and a pee pad would be good. Not so lonely and small like a crate. Quiet music on the radio maybe too.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:43 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,812,399 times
8 hours in a crate is TOO long for ANY dog. Can you go 8 hours without going to the restroom? I can barely go 1-2 hours. Little dogs have small bladders and need to go potty quite frequently. Regarding keeping a puppy in the kitchen, ours hasn't chewed anything in there and we have no issues with regards to potty training. Of course it will be different for every person and their situation but I would NEVER leave my dog in a crate for 8 hours. That is just wrong. I wouldn't even do it for 4 hours.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,812,399 times
In addition, forcing them to hold their pee/poop for too long can develop bladder problems.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 PM

13,293 posts, read 25,463,471 times
I know the OP said daycare wasn't an option, but maybe just until the dog is old enough to be crated, or to be taken out by a dog walker? I'd talk to a vet about what can and can't be done with a pup that young.
I think I'd do the kitchen/tile thing. Enough space so the pup can do its business properly, away from his place of sleeping and eating, and then maybe moving the barrier as the pup gets older so he'll have a smaller space and learn control as his body matures and he is able.
So glad he got rescued!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,725,742 times
Gate off an easily cleanable room and put down puppy pads and make sure to puppy proof the room.

A crate is TOO small for a 6wk puppy (IMO, it should still be with it's Mom till at least 8-10wks old), and you will end up coming home to a poo covered puppy every day.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:55 PM

68 posts, read 244,245 times
Just wanted to say that when the dog is old enough, get him into a puppy training class(usually around 12 weeks). Since it missed out on the socialization from weeks 7-8(normally puppies should not be seperated from their mother/siblings until 8wks), that is something that is very important, and a class will help get it socialized as well.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:11 PM

687 posts, read 884,600 times
I realize that you saved the pup from a bad situation but do you think leaving a puppy alone for eight hours five days a week is a good alternative? Dogs are social creatures and puppies need attention, training and comfort. This is a permanent situation for you as far as your work schedule goes which means your pup will be all alone all day long forever. Four hours for a four month dog is ok. Two hours for two months is ok, but not 8 hours for six, seven, or eight weeks old. If you can't find a doggie day care or dog walker to come at least two times during the day to play, change papers and take outside then I am not sure keeping the dog is the best thing for it. Labs need a ton of exercise and training or they grow up chewing everything in site out of boredom. They may chew your floor boards and anything else that has an edge on it while keeping locked in a room or kitchen. I care more about the well being of your dog than you at this point and hopefully so will you. F.Y.I. have had dogs constantly since I was 8 and still do, including a 80lb six month old Chocolate Lab.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:19 PM

42,628 posts, read 44,075,495 times
Look up a dog walker. My friend did it. And the people loved her and so did the dog.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 PM

6,475 posts, read 9,889,825 times
The puppy should NOT be walked off the property until he is fully vaccinated. And I don't think hiring a dog walker is a good idea until then, too. It stands a risk of being exposed to any virus anyone can track into the house from outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or