Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:40 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain why huskies are on this list? I have a husky and she is a sweet gentle dog. She would never harm a flea. I also have NEVER heard of a husky harming anyone. But I was looking to rent a apartment and they say that huskies are on the same list as Pit Bills and Rotts. WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
I've heard this many times too and it is now becoming more popular to pin them with the so called aggressive breeds. I don't understand it - I have never met an aggressive husky and they are known to be one of the best family dogs as they are gentle with all ages.

My friend actually got kicked from her apt a couple of months ago because she has a puggle (pug/beagle). The apt complex does not allow any beagle type dogs because they are used for hunting and they consider that dangerous behavior (what a joke).

It's getting ridiculous. I think it's just a reason to keep pets from living in the complex.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:27 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times
We have two malamutes and they face the same discrimination. They may not get along with other dogs as well as some other breeds do, but they have never ever destroyed anything and they love people. These restrictions have nothing to do with a certain breeds ability to coexist with other canines. These laws need to be fixed.

Either take ALL dogs or NO dogs, but don't say you can have this type of dog but not that kind. Or it is OK if under this weight but not over that weight. Our dogs are part of our family. We love them very much.

This should enrage those who believe that humans are simply a higher form of animal. If that was the case, this type of discrimination would be along the same lines as discriminating against protected statuses such as sex, religion, disabilities, ect.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,868 times
People are clueless. I was looking at a place and was told my Huskies were not allowed, since they're a dangerous breed. Huh? It was explained to me that, "because they're part wolf, they're dangerous and people are afraid of them". The moron who said this honestly believed every word of it. I didn't bother trying to explain that my Huskies are far less aggressive and no more wolf than his annoying, yappy Chihuahua. I wonder if dogs will ever stop being punished for human idiocy.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:42 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Can someone explain why huskies are on this list? I have a husky and she is a sweet gentle dog. She would never harm a flea. I also have NEVER heard of a husky harming anyone. But I was looking to rent a apartment and they say that huskies are on the same list as Pit Bills and Rotts. WHY?
Welcome to my sh***y world!

I have had all the "dangerous breeds" before (rottens, dobes, GSD, pittys, cattys), and the most vicious dog I have ever owned was a chi/cocker mix. Also, sibes are high energy working dogs, when they get bored, it's a recipe for disaster and MASSIVE damage, lol.

Why? Cause morons ruin everything they touch. Blame Disney for that one. Dalmatians were a GREAT breed till 101 came out, then everyone started mass breeding them and got sub-standard dogs with questionable health and temperaments. Same thing with Malies and Sibes, with 8 Below and Snow Dogs.

An awesome breed is showcased in a movie/TV show/video game/music video, then EVERYONE wants one, so irresponsible breeders pump them out like baby factories for a few hundred a pup with no concern of the animal or the breed outcome. So then you have questionable pups with unwitting owners who don't have a clue, so then you have questionable poorly trained animals that rely on instinct only, and that's why we have "dangerous dogs". (sorry for that run on there!)

So blame it on the MOUSE!!!!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 PM

68 posts, read 273,458 times
Yes, sadly it's a mix of bad breeding, dumb owners, and moron animal rights activists who feed the fire.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:39 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
When we were looking for a new apartment, one of the complexes handed us a binder with breeds that were restricted. The ones I expected were on there (Pitbulls, Rottweilers, Dobermen), but some others as well. Huskies, golden retrievers, beagles and chihuahuas, to name a few. When I asked them about the reason behind such an odd list, she said the "dangerous" breeds are because of insurance reasons. The others? She said Goldens are too large (they had a ton of dogs over 50 lbs on that list, why they didn't just put a weight limit is a mystery), beagles are likely to howl when the owners are not home and disturb neighbors and chihuahuas are known to bark. These are her words, not mine. Needless to say, we didn't choose to live there, even though our breed was not banned.

That said, I have met nice and not so nice dogs of any breed. It's all a matter of how they were raised. My friend owns a husky who is the sweetest dog in the world. He plays with my dog and loves cats. Just a really awesome dog. We also stumbled upon a very aggressive one the other day at the dog park. I was playing fetch with my dog, and the husky attacked him out of nowhere while he was sprinting to retrieve the ball. My poor boy rolled a few times, before regaining his composure. I thought the husky was going to kill him, but luckily my boy could hold his own and was able to fight back and the husky's owner was nearby so tragedy averted. There are good and bad with every single breed out there.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I have met nice and not so nice dogs of any breed. It's all a matter of how they were raised. My friend owns a husky who is the sweetest dog in the world. He plays with my dog and loves cats. Just a really awesome dog. We also stumbled upon a very aggressive one the other day at the dog park. I was playing fetch with my dog, and the husky attacked him out of nowhere while he was sprinting to retrieve the ball. My poor boy rolled a few times, before regaining his composure. I thought the husky was going to kill him, but luckily my boy could hold his own and was able to fight back and the husky's owner was nearby so tragedy averted. There are good and bad with every single breed out there.
Poor PC! A dear friend of mine has a husky/akita mix named Brock, and he's a mellow, sweet big 'ole lazybones...lol! When he was still a pup (though a very BIG pup!) he'd come over to play with my chihuahuas, and he was always very gentle and sweet with them...it's like he KNEW not to be rough...they all adore him, and he gets along with cats really well too.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
Welcome to the club. I own a doberman, so I feel for you! They need to judge on a case by case basis, not by the entire breed.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Welcome to the club. I own a doberman, so I feel for you! They need to judge on a case by case basis, not by the entire breed.
Exactly. My GSD is well-known where I live for having a lovely temperament and being very well-behaved. Yet, GSD's are usually on the list as well.

That said, I have known troubled dogs of a wide range of breeds. The most vicious dog I have ever met was a Chihuahua.

I think that the best solution are letters of ref from former landlords who can attest to the dog's personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs