U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:59 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,501,464 times

Advertisements

I know this must have been so hard for you...I'm so sorry, and please know you have done the best you could possibly do.

Brightdoglover, I also remember your plight with the "escape artist"...I'm so sorry it had to end sadly. As Fivehorses said, sometimes despite our most valiant efforts an animal is just too far-gone to be healed.

(((HUGS))) to both of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:55 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,831,619 times
{{{{{ HUGS}}}}}}}}

I am sorry you had to let her go but you did what was best for everyone. It is never easy..

Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,127,512 times
Thank you so much everyone. Here's a picture of my little heart-breaker.

My rescue situation fell through. She has a lot of dogs and no good way to keep Ellie separate. I don't think she understood how serious El's dog aggression is the first time we talked. She offered to put Ellie up on her website and help me however she could.

Actually I feel good about this turn of events. Ellie can stay at my parents' until we find a good place and I can have more control over the process. Coming home without seeing her face in the window waiting for me is still really hard, but I think things are getting better.

Last edited by kansas sky; 04-27-2010 at 11:33 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,467,231 times
What a beautiful girl, and so fortunate that you are doing all you can for her, with love.
Thanks to all who included me in hugs and all regarding my (late) escape artist, Nayla. She wasn't a bad dog- just got into the "red zone" around smaller dogs, and then redirected at me in the heat of the red zone.
I had to send a dog back to Best Friends once. Chippy. A gorgeous black girl (my first girl) who, after a year and a death in my pack, became obsessed with attacking my little border collie mutt, Kona, for no reason, no provocation, and he wasn't even near her at the times. I let it go too long and Kona paid for it with a terrible injury (from which he recovered and lived to be 13). Best Friends was golden with helping me get Chippy back there. She is now very bonded to her runmate and caregiver and I saw her from afar when I visited (she is shy and I didn't want to scare her). She looked happy, running up and down with her runmate and beaming at her caregiver.
Twice I've taken dogs from people I know who needed to rehome them. The beagle/basset, while an absolute terror to live with, was forgiven all when he'd curl up with me. I still have Dodger after six years, a cattle dog mix who the people allowed to rampage around the neighborhood with his barrier aggression... He's a smart, loving active dog now, and I am so glad he came home to me after his first false start.
I wish I could take Miss Ellie... She's my kinda girl. Best to all in the care of our animals, whatever that means. I often think it's the best part of many people, the love of animals.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,191,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Thank you so much everyone. Here's a picture of my little heart-breaker.

My rescue situation fell through. She has a lot of dogs and no good way to keep Ellie separate. I don't think she understood how serious El's dog aggression is the first time we talked. She offered to put Ellie up on her website and help me however she could.

Actually I feel good about this turn of events. Ellie can stay at my parents' until we find a good place and I can have more control over the process. Coming home without seeing her face in the window waiting for me is still really hard, but I think things are getting better.
I believe everything happens for a reason. I am glad you feel good about this and will have more control about where she goes. I'll keep you in my prayers that things will work out. And they will!

By the way, what a cutie! She is beautiful. Best of luck. She is lucky to have you in her life. Sometimes we have to make hard decisions, but yours is obviously made with love.

Follow your heart. You'll know the right situation.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 PM

15,886 posts, read 15,250,040 times
What a tough decision you have had to make. But you really made it out of love and what was best for Ellie. The perfect new home will appear out of the blue when you least expect it and you will be so happy with where she will be living.

Many hugs to you. This was a toughy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs