Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:15 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,422,807 times

Advertisements

I have to go out of town frequently during April and May for trade shows. The place where I usually board my pups costs $50/night for all three dogs. It's very clean, they get excellent care and lots of playtime. Last week, I boarded them at a highly recommended kennel that was closer to the airport I used. For 5 nights, the bill was $713.75 . That's $142.75/night! I always thought that $50 was very reasonable for 3 dogs, but I didn't realize just how reasonable it was until I nearly choked on this recent bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 01:23 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,261,866 times
The cost of boarding usually depends on the size of the dog. We would get a discount for having multiple dogs. I think I pay $22 for Dylan now, who is a large male Golden. It is at my vet's, so I feel comfortable knowing my vet is always at hand.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:27 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,518,379 times
We pay $87.00 for 3 dogs for a 1-4 night stay and after that the price drops to $74.00. Our boarding facility also provides doggie daycare that is included in the price.

Did you not ask how much it would cost per night at the new place?

Old 04-25-2010, 01:36 PM

848 posts, read 1,945,374 times
Here, Orlando area, I pay $18 day for small dog and $22 day for large dog.

So $50 for 3 seems very reasonable. You must be getting a multiple dog discount.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
My kennel charges $25 for a small dog and $30 for a large dog --- with discounts for more than one dog.

We pay $55 + tax for two large dogs to share a suite.

I could save money and pay $42 for them to each have a separate cage, but I prefer for them to have a suite so they can be together.

My bill is usually fairly high because I pay for them to be groomed prior to my arrival so they don't smell like kennel.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:11 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,239,128 times
We don't use a kennel, because we don't like him to be caged or left alone overnight. Our doggie daycare offers cage-free overnight care, where the person stays there overnight and the dogs' beds are around his bed, so they are never left alone. They play in their daycare during the day and we can watch them on the Muttcams, which is awesome. That's $50/night. We only used them once for overnights, since we have an amazing pet sitter.

We use a company called Sleep Over Rover. They are on the West Coast and luckily our city is part of their service area. Basically, they do a home check of potential dog sitters and your dog goes to their house. They must have a fenced in yard, be home 24/7, and have a house that's dog safe. We love our sitter, PC loves the fact that he can sleep in his own bed next to her bed and is actually happy to be there. He plays in the yard, goes on walks, and is treated like he would be at home. It's $50/night for him, but is based on weight and goes up for multiple dogs. I'm pretty sure you'd be paying over $100 for 3 large dogs. We travel very frequently so it's nice to have a piece of mind when we travel and know that he's not locked in some cage at some boarding facility. And the biggest plus? He has yet to come home sick!

Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 PM

5,088 posts, read 12,535,495 times
My vet charges about $20.00 for a large dog and when the dogs shared a run they second dog was $17.00. I use to have a couple very nice kennels that I loved and also really liked the people but they went up to $50.00 a night per dog ( my dogs were 45-50lbs) and with them sharing the run the second dog got a small price break . They would also tack on extra for services like walks or giving medicines.

When Dash got cancer I started using a pet sitter that I had used years ago with my old dog and the cat as the cat was a kitten and no one would board her. Her charges are $20.00 a visit and she spends about an hour and will walk them and play with them,feed them give meds all for that price and that is both dogs. I usually have have her come 2 or 3 x a day as I have a pet door so they can go out to take care of business and the times I did 3 was just to keep an extra eye on Dash. She will stay for $70.00 a night which still makes it cheaper then the kennels except for the vets. But alot of times she already has an over night job.

Jazz hates even seeing the vets office so now that she is an old lady I try not to board her and have left she and Dazzle at my dad's in Orange County and flown out of airports down there: However next month I have a short 3 night trip to San Jose that I am driving too so will be brave and try the pet sitter . I say brave because it will be Dazzle's first time with her and with him being about 21 months now and quite a clown I do worry that he may get a bit bored all day and bug the old Queen Jazz alot. They are funny when they play but she tends to get frustrated by the fact he is so darn fast and runs to me wooo wooing like she is telling me to tell him to stop!

We do have a cage free place like Mak was talking about that also does doggie daycare and people sleep in the room with all the dogs but they charge $70.00 a night per dog and tack on Extra for little services too so while it looks like a fun place I don't think I could spend more per night on the dogs then I usually spend on myself! Heck the dogs could go stay at some pretty nice hotels for that price since there are 2 of them!

Our Local Humane society does boarding for members and it is a nice clean place and when I tried them it was $12.00 a night per dog. Well the problem there was they would not let Jazz and Dash share a run and they loved to be together. I also brought toys for Jazz as she had to have a toy in her mouth 24/7 back then and Dash really did not need a toy but had his blanket that he played by tossing over himself then running around like a blind dog.( Dash and blanket were always a big hit at the vets as was the fact that he and Jazz would argue like an old married couple!) Each dog got what they loved in their run.Well, when I came to pick them up they took me out to the runs and Jazz was now in the run with the blanket and Dash was with the toys as they did get to go out in an exercise yard together 1X /day. I was a bit concerned that despite the runs being marked with the name, sex and coloring of the dogs that they some how got a male and female who look nothing alike mixed up

Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,422,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Did you not ask how much it would cost per night at the new place?
I did, but I guess I misunderstood the quote. I didn't realize that daily playtime was an additional $85 per dog. I was expecting a bill of around $460, not over $700. Not that my dogs aren't worth every penny, it's just that my pennies are pretty tight right now.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:59 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,630,355 times
We pay $12.00 a day for Charlie at our vet. We bring our own food for him because he is on a special diet. I am much more comfortable having him with our vet in case of a problem.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
Our vet clinic does it for $9 a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs