Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 AM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I feel like it's just me, but I have to admit I have some separation anxiety being away from my pup. I mean, it's been about two years since I adopted him, but when I'm at work, I sit and wonder what he's up to, or I really want to rush and get home to my pup. I try and spend as much time as possible with him after work and on the weekends. I guess he's got ME trained good, huh? haha.

Does anyone ever get like this? What do YOU do to mitigate it? Is this even normal? Fortunately for me, I get to go home during lunch and see him, and some days I can bring him to work for a few hours. But we usually spend about 4 hours apart on the days that I can't, and when I'm too busy to go home for lunch, I just freak out. Ahhh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,424 times
LOL - my car makes a BEE-LINE for the house after work.....no stops for bread, milk, gas, etc....because THE DOGS ARE WAITING

You are not alone - I wouldn't say it was anxiety - but a strong desire to spend as much quality time with my four legged family members as possible! They are so thrilled to see me come through the door and get started on our afternoon/evening routine.....they bring peace and joy to my life/heart....what's not to like about coming home FAST to that?!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
I do. I had him crated all day long when I was at work and it would break my heart. I did it for about a week and my parents offered to dog sit while I'm at work. I like to be around my dog, he's so cute and it's nice to have someone happy to see me after work.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
You are SO not alone! I'm the poster child for separation anxiety.

I work from home, so I'm with Artie all the time. But, of course, I have errands to run, at least twice-weekly dinners out with my husband, doctor's appointments, etc... and even during those times, when I have to leave Artie for just a little while, I'm a basket case.

I'm not sure why -- Artie's fine; he sleeps while I'm gone. He's super-excited to see me when I get home, of course, which makes me feel guilty for leaving him even though I know (a) I was only gone for TWO HOURS!! and (b) he had a nice, peaceful nap without me bugging him.

So, yeah, I have separation anxiety. Admitting it is the first step, right?

Hello, my name is Dawn, and I have separation-from-my-dog anxiety.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hello, my name is Dawn, and I have separation-from-my-dog anxiety.
Hi Dawn!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
I feel guilty about leaving my boy 9 1/2 hours a day, 5 days a week. I usually do my shopping on my lunch or on the way home. Once I'm home, I'm not going anywhere. The weekends I usually don't go anywhere because I don't want to leave him home alone again, unless I can take him with me. I've gotten into many arguments with my spouse over this because I won't leave the dog. Besides, I prefer my dog over people in general

Old 04-27-2010, 10:19 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
I guess I'm a freak.

Beesley looks SO SAD when I leave but when I come home he doesn't even care.

When I first got him, I thought about him ALL day and couldn't wait to get home to see him, but now, it's so anti-climactic :/ More recently, I dread going home because I have no idea what kind of scratched mess I'm going to come back to.

I'm such a horrible person!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:24 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
We're with PC pretty much all day, just like Dand J. He's rarely left alone, and if he is, it's never for more than 2 hours. I think an hour a day is the average lately, just so we can run errands or go to dinner and he looks so sad when we walk out without him. And we still feel bad. He wouldn't know what to do if suddenly we had to be out of the house during the day. He's not a loner kind of dog and has had both of us home with him since the day we brought him home.
He gets excited when I come out of the shower, never mind after I leave him home for an hour!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
YES!!! Once a year I have to go on vacation with hubby. I hate it.

Where we board the dogs now has a nanny cam. I can view them at any time. And can view anything happening in the kennel.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes me miss them more.

Something else I hate. When we first get to the kennel to drop them off, they act HAPPY.

Just like kids the first day of school!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
YES!!! Once a year I have to go on vacation with hubby. I hate it.

Where we board the dogs now has a nanny cam. I can view them at any time. And can view anything happening in the kennel.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes me miss them more.

Something else I hate. When we first get to the kennel to drop them off, they act HAPPY.

Just like kids the first day of school!!!
Actually, that should make you happy -- it means that THEY don't suffer from separation anxiety, which would make your anxiety even worse. (I speak from experience here. )

ETA: And I feel your pain about vacations. I now hate them, if Artie can't come along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs