Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:17 PM

126 posts, read 673,907 times

Advertisements

We adopted a 2-3 year old female boxer from a boxer rescue in Los Angeles. She has been with us two weeks to the day. She has had diarrhea, including bright red blood and mucous in her stool, since day 1. She tested positive for giardia. The vet put her on a three-day course of Drontal. No change. The vet next put her on a five-day course of Paracur. Today was her fifth day on the meds. She still has diarrhea but we haven't seen any blood or mucous. She is about five pounds underweight but is otherwise energentic and is eating well. We are feeding her in the morning and at night, one cup of Canides chicken & rice formula per meal, which we mix sometimes with cottage cheese or pumpkin for her stomach and sometimes additional rice in the hope of fattening her up.

I'm hoping someone who has had a similar experience can share their insight on giardia or perhaps other potential causes of her intestinal distress, and maybe give us some suggestions on how to get her healthy.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:23 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Hi there!

I'm sorry that you're having these problems and I certainly hope that your girl feels better VERY soon.

A few things about when my dog, Artie, had diarrhea (with blood sometimes too):
  • Whenever I'd give him pumpkin... diarrhea.
  • Whenever I'd feed him cheese (or any dairy)... blood in his stool.
So, I'm wondering if the things that you're mixing in with her kibble is making things worse.

Just a thought, based on my experiences with Artie.

Another thing... because Artie's stool was consistently loose, my vet had me give him a teaspoon of Metamucil mixed in with his kibble at both meals of the day. It helped INSTANTLY! It's so interesting that Metamucil seems to work so differently in people (clears up constipation) than with dogs (firms up the poop) but, really, it was like magic for Artie. Almost two years later, he's still on it -- except for the week that I didn't give it to him (as a test) and *boom* loose stool.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Your vet can give him some 'low residue' food that helps with gastro issues. I know it helped Ringo a lot. He went off his regular, high protein, food for about two weeks while his stomach settled down. (He had eaten chicken bones out of the garbage and ended up with tummy issues).

I tried the cottage cheese thing too and it made him worse. Didn't try the pumpkin. Yogurt treats seemed to help as well; found those at PetSmart.

If it doesn't clear up this week-end - I'd probably on the phone to the Vet.

Good Luck!

Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM

126 posts, read 673,907 times
Default thanks DandJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hi there!

I'm sorry that you're having these problems and I certainly hope that your girl feels better VERY soon.

A few things about when my dog, Artie, had diarrhea (with blood sometimes too):
  • Whenever I'd give him pumpkin... diarrhea.
  • Whenever I'd feed him cheese (or any dairy)... blood in his stool.
So, I'm wondering if the things that you're mixing in with her kibble is making things worse.

Just a thought, based on my experiences with Artie.

Another thing... because Artie's stool was consistently loose, my vet had me give him a teaspoon of Metamucil mixed in with his kibble at both meals of the day. It helped INSTANTLY! It's so interesting that Metamucil seems to work so differently in people (clears up constipation) than with dogs (firms up the poop) but, really, it was like magic for Artie. Almost two years later, he's still on it -- except for the week that I didn't give it to him (as a test) and *boom* loose stool.
Interesting... If her diarrhea doesn't clear up in a day or so I'm going to try the Metamucil. I'll stop mixing her food with extras to see if that helps. We mixed in some canned green beans one day and it seemed that that REALLY disagreed with her so we stopped right away.

Just curious - is Artie a boxer?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domsey View Post
Interesting... If her diarrhea doesn't clear up in a day or so I'm going to try the Metamucil. I'll stop mixing her food with extras to see if that helps. We mixed in some canned green beans one day and it seemed that that REALLY disagreed with her so we stopped right away.

Just curious - is Artie a boxer?
Canned green beans have a lot of sodium and "extra stuff" in it. I give Artie fresh green beans that have been frozen and he seems to like those... sometimes. He's finicky.

Artie's a mutt -- possibly Lab/Beagle/Corgi, but who really knows except his parents?

When I say that the Metamucil worked for Artie *instantly*, I mean within a week or so. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't work the first day, but it will likely work within the first week or thereabouts.

Please let us know how she's doing in the next few days. I want to hear good news!

Old 05-01-2010, 03:25 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
OP - FWIW...

Given she's a rescue, given the condition in which you got her & her weight there are a few things to bear in mind.

Her weight gain should not be an overnight process - and in rescue terms two weeks is pretty much "overnight". Her weight will improve, but it should happen slowly and properly - ie, she builds muscle.

Her system just isn't coping - and her diarrhea is the proof. Were she in my care, I'd immediately cease and desist any and all extras. Green beans are - for dogs - great fillers for the easily fat. However they're not easy to digest. Cottage cheese - unnecessary at this stage.

At this stage you need maximum nutrition in easily digestible form. The easiest digestible proteins are your "white meats" - chicken, turkey, lamb.

At this stage I'd say you have two options and it all comes down to "change or not to change".... that's going to be a judgment call you'll have to make - ie, if the "cure" is worse than the "disease". Food changes can sometimes bring tummy upset on their own, but it might be worthwhile to let her poor system settle for 5 days to a week before reintroducing kibble.

You could cook up a lovely big batch of long-grain white rice with ground turkey or lamb or shredded chicken (I've yet to find it ground, but it you can more power to you). Fats are hard to digest - that why these naturally lower fat meats are used. If you're using pieces of chicken, remove the skin. You can boil it up with the bones in and just remove them after cooking.

Alternatively, just plain kibble to avoid yet another change. No extras.

Small meals too - the rule of thumb here is little and often. A large - or what might even be normal for her size, but it's normal for her just now - portion is going to make her digestive tract go . Split up the amount she should have over three or four meals.

She'll get there. She's had a rough start and rescues are great breeding grounds for all sorts of nasties. Let her system settle and get the normal balance of flora in the gut back to where it should be.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:12 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,012 times
I'm really surprised at the short course of treatment for Giardia. My puppy had it at 12 weeks and was put on flagyl for 15 days.

Giardia is stubborn and can be difficult to get rid of.

I really didn't see steady improvement until she had been on the drug for a week. I'd have a talk with your vet. It doesn't sound like the giardia was treated properly.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Flagyl use to be used in humans and anamals by can have bad side effects in both and not recommended now. ASk the Vet about Panacur (Fenbendazole) which has been approved. Since it often caused by dirty water and the organism in that ;it needs to be killed. This is also used to kill ground worms etc. If the test how show he is now clear of the organisms then it make take awhile to get over the intestinal track inflamation and heal. Wishing you and you pal the best.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:43 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
Call your vet and ask him about Purina Fortiflora probiotic. It's worked well for my rescue dogs that have diarrhea. I'm not a big Purina fan, but this stuff works.

Vetasyl may also help. It's a palatable form of fiber that helps firm up the stool. Metamucil would work, too. Just don't give too much.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
I'm really surprised at the short course of treatment for Giardia. My puppy had it at 12 weeks and was put on flagyl for 15 days.

Giardia is stubborn and can be difficult to get rid of.

I really didn't see steady improvement until she had been on the drug for a week. I'd have a talk with your vet. It doesn't sound like the giardia was treated properly.
I'm not sure it wasn't treated properly. We see about 21 days before any improvement with giardia. Stubborn and difficult is a mild way to put it. Giardia is hell!!

Give it some time. I've always used pumpkin with mine and it seems to help. I'm wondering if poor Artie is allergic. Poor dude!!!

Adding some fiber (Metamucil and such) can help too. As can plain yogurt. The probiotics can add the good bacteria back to his gut and help him fight it.

Don't worry about weight gain at all right now. 5 pounds underweight - unless we're talking about a small breed dog - is nothing.

I'd definitely call the rescue and let them know. I know if it was one of my fosters I'd want to know what's going on and what he has. He could have picked it up prior to adoption and they need to know their boarding area has been infected. They'll also want to keep up with his health and treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs