Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM

371 posts, read 1,362,164 times

Advertisements

Here are my ridiculous stringent needs and wants:

1. I'm moderately allergic to dogs, so low to no shedding would be essential. I know no dog is 100% "hypoallergenic", so please know that's not what I'm asking for .. I'm just asking for the best possibility.

2. Won't consider my two cats "prey" (I know that's mostly training, but I would imagine some breeds are more/less likely to leave cats alone ... less "hunter-like")

3. Won't consider my two kids "prey" LOL. Again, training is key (of all the creatures involved, human and pet alike) but I'm looking for dogs not traditionally known for being "snippy", "mouthy", "biters", "aggressive", "defensive", "jittery" etc ... all those things that make them and kids not get along.

4. Size doesn't matter in the end, but too small (under 10 pounds) or too big (over 40 pounds) starts to not feel so great to me, though this isn't a big deal.

5. First time dog owner here (though husband has had dogs before) and I'm wondering if there are dogs more suited to the uninitiated! (like, for example, I probably shouldn't try to handle a pitbull or something)

Then some questions....

- I don't care about getting a puppy or young adult, but keep wondering if puppy wouldn't improve the chances of training a cat-friendly and child-friendly pet?

- How do people sort out traveling with their pet? What have your experiences been with hotels and air travel with your dogs. We don't travel much (in fact, we work from home), but twice a year, we do make a trip (by air) for one week or so; and have a few weekend trips during the summer (by car).

- Best books/ videos on puppy/dog training that I could start reading in preparation? I like to over-prepare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
The protein that causes people to be allergic to dogs is found in their saliva and urine. All dogs produce this protein. There is no hypoallergenic dog

With that being said, obviously smaller dogs leave fewer allergy pollutants, especially house dogs that dont go outside much.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
this is a great time of year to find a non-shedding dog at a shelter, since it's going to be fairly obvious who is and isn't shedding! you can also get an idea of what individual dogs bother your allergies more, because some non-shedders can still trigger a person's allergies more or less, depending on both the dog and the person.

it is good to train a dog from puppyhood, but on the other hand when dogs mature (around 3 years old generally), their temperament can change significantly, especially when it comes to aggression towards dogs and to a lesser extent cats. it is a distinct possibility that a puppy who is dog friendly can become dog aggressive when they hit maturity. when you get a puppy, you can mold them from a young age, but when you get an adult dog they're more of a known quantity because they've settled into their adult personalities. puppies are more work and often more destructive, but adult dogs may have unknown histories that affect their behavior. both situations have their pros and cons.

i'm really terrible at recommending breeds and it's important to remember that dogs are individuals and breeds are really only basic guidelines to guessing a dog's temperament.

i'd highly recommend "the other end of the leash" by patricia mcconnell. it's not exactly a dog training book, although it contains some training tips, but it's indispensable for understanding dog behavior and body language. "the culture clash" by jean donaldson, "calming signals" by turid rugaas, and "the power of positive dog training" by pat miller are also good books. i believe there's a calming signals dvd as well.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:04 PM

371 posts, read 1,362,164 times
Thanks, groar, I'll look into those books! A rescue dog would absolutely be ideal and I do like the idea of an adult dog that I can "know" right off the bat. My goal is to search that route first. I just worry that shelters don't really give you the time you need to really know any issues the dog might have and, honestly, too many shelters aren't upfront about certain things in an effort to get them out to homes. I understand their desperation, but it's also important that the family know everything in order to choose a dog they will KEEP forever.

Quote:
There is no hypoallergenic dog
I know. But people with allergies do still have dogs if they find the right one. That's what I'm aiming for, and taking my time doing so.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:11 PM

your best bet to adopting a "known quantity" dog is to find a rescue or shelter that fosters. the foster family will be able to give you a good idea of how the dog functions in a home environment, and you can often meet them in that environment. some shelter people do gloss over problems to get animals adopted (with good intentions, of course), but also a shelter environment can sometimes change a dog's behavior, making it seemingly better (a dog who is frightened or stressed may seem calm and quiet in the shelter, for instance, but get wild when they're in a more comfortable situation) or worse.

although i do have to say that while i understand your trepidation about temperament, especially when you have to keep the safety of your kids in mind, my dog is a great example of a dog who seemed wonderful in the shelter and is just as wonderful today. it does happen! she'd fit almost all of your qualifications actually (except she's a little over your size limit), but i don't know what breed mix she is so that doesn't really help you!

Old 05-03-2010, 01:19 PM

oh and i've never traveled by air with my dog - i don't know if i'd do it just for a family vacation though, from what i've heard about it, especially because my dog is extremely attached to us and doesn't do well being separated from us in strange places. i'd rather leave her at home and have friends take care of her if we're flying. i'd only consider flying her if we were moving cross country and there was no way to drive with her.

there's a good website that lists pet friendly hotels: Dog, Cat & Other Pet Friendly Hotels at Petswelcome.com

in some ways i love traveling with our dog (it's one of the things that is really novel to me, having only had cats in the past) but it does limit what you can do. i don't think any hotels allow you to leave dogs alone in your room, so you have to consider that you won't be able to eat at most restaurants, won't be able to go to most indoor activities, etc. we generally just take our dog on trips where we'll only be camping and hiking, or on trips where we're staying with family or friends.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,423 times
OMG look at this cutie....I really wish I didn't have a husband so I could add him to my house haha!! Two of the smartest breeds I know so this dog has to be an Einstein!!

Adoptable Schnauzer: Shaggy: Petfinder

ps.I know I have NO business looking around on petfinder, I just can't help it!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:59 PM

76 posts, read 176,810 times
I have a Yorkie. The best dog I have ever owned. He is good with cats and kids. He is a great little companion and he doesn't shed. I love it.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,894 times
These links may help.

Top Dog Breeds for People with Allergies

Dogs For Allergic People

Top 3 Dog Breeds for People who are Allergic to Dogs - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:59 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Yorkies and maltese dogs do not shed and, therefore, are supposed to be good for people with allergies. I have terrible allergies - but neither my Westie (who does shed) or my Yorkie seem to bother them.

I had a sweet little maltese too - long ago - and he didn't bother my allergies either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs