U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 PM

5,027 posts, read 12,990,514 times

Advertisements

You'll be glad to know that they are removing ethoxyquin from their food. I heard rumors, but finally got to speak to a rep this morning, who was at my friend's store, and she confirmed it. Their major brand that many use is Taste of the Wild, but Costco food is theirs too as is the Chicken soup line, along with many other brands. That's a step in the right direction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 04:08 PM

161 posts, read 488,255 times
does that mean they are changing who they get their fish from? it was my understanding (and i could be wrong, i am old and forget things) that diamond has always said they dont add ethoxyquin. if they do change suppliers, this is good news. wonder if their pricing will increase?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:27 PM

When I contacted Taste of the Wild personally, I received the same email back as many others, basically saying they can't confirm if their suppliers use it. While they don't confirm using ethoxyquin, they also don't deny it. Basically, they said that their food is heated to very high temperatures, which would destroy any e present in the food. So, essentially they are saying that yes, we do use it, but it's destroyed by heat. I wouldn't take that chance so I promptly switched my boy from that food and haven't looked back.

And yes, fish suppliers will change, but from what I hear, prices will not increase. Ethoxyquin free products will be released mid-May, so not too long from now!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:01 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,023,593 times
IIRC.. Chicken Soup had said they didn't use fish meal with ethoxyquin. It is good news since they make so many different dog foods regardless. I believe it was in the review of the dog food analysis website, could be wrong about that thouse. Too many dogs are getting cancer now a days.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 PM

2,407 posts, read 5,157,949 times
Our Rotts always like their food, but changed them right away after the news broke about the "E". I just don't know if I trust them (Dianond). Obviously their sales are down, because why after all these years of having the "E" in it, now all of a sudden they are going to change.

Think I'll just stay with the food were using.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Our Rotts always like their food, but changed them right away after the news broke about the "E". I just don't know if I trust them (Dianond). Obviously their sales are down, because why after all these years of having the "E" in it, now all of a sudden they are going to change.

Think I'll just stay with the food were using.
Oh, I would never, ever give my dog a Diamond food! I cannot trust a company that killed thousands of pets in the massive recall in 2007. I just figured people that feed Diamond products might be happy to know that they are removing e from their formulas. Though I highly doubt it, since they made the decision to feed e filled, Diamond foods in the first place! I personally cannot understand why anyone would feed their dog food that's made by a company that killed so many pets! TOTW and some of their other brands are not cheap; much better options out there! It's so funny, everyone was up in arms over the recall, and not even 3 years later all is forgiven and forgotten.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,582 times
I used to feed my cats Chicken Soup. I am actually working with them. I can tell you that most of the ethoxyquin is destroyed in the cooking process, requiring other preservatives to be used. Tests for ethoxyquin are run routinely on CS products. The results are typically less than 2.5ppm. This is equivalent to 0.0002% or 2 ten-thousandth’s of a percent. This is a true trace level that many laboratories are unable to detect. The amount allowed, and considered to be safe, by the FDA is 75ppm. I hope this info helps!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:54 AM

2,407 posts, read 5,157,949 times
Default I hear ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Oh, I would never, ever give my dog a Diamond food! I cannot trust a company that killed thousands of pets in the massive recall in 2007. I just figured people that feed Diamond products might be happy to know that they are removing e from their formulas. Though I highly doubt it, since they made the decision to feed e filled, Diamond foods in the first place! I personally cannot understand why anyone would feed their dog food that's made by a company that killed so many pets! TOTW and some of their other brands are not cheap; much better options out there! It's so funny, everyone was up in arms over the recall, and not even 3 years later all is forgiven and forgotten.

I know I won't forget about it.

We were going to change to a food sold thru Costco (sorry can't remember the actual name of the food). Luckily we found out that food was processed thru Diamond...so we didn't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs