Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:42 AM

442 posts, read 965,103 times

Advertisements

I am going to be 50 tomorrow, I have always wanted a german shepard. My question is do I get a pup or a grown dog. I do not have small children, but I do have small grankids. Please help decide what to do. A few other facts, I do own a house with a fenced back yard in a great neighborhood, I do not work so I have time to train. However, having had a small dog(shui-tzu) from a pup I do not like house breaking,

Thoughts, suggestions, and anything that will help make my future bestfriend and I happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
happy early birthday!!

my own preference would be for a grown dog .... 18 mos to 2 years or so.... old enough to be past the annoying puppy behaviour .... well, most of it, at least..... and young enough to still be a young dog....

good luck to you and your new pal.....

Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
There are a lot of GSD in rescues. I would check it out and see whats in your area.

Hope you have a great Birthday!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 AM

442 posts, read 965,103 times
Thanks for the b-day wishes, but I live in a small town and the rescue place is empty, hence the thread request.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
check out petfinder .... lots of dogs go from rescue to forever homes via transport.... volunteer transport....

Old 05-05-2010, 11:12 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Happy Birthday and what a great way to celebrate! I agree that I would look for a young adult GS. If you have any rescues within 100 miles or so, that's where I would look. Many volunteers gladly transport.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Happy Birthday! I also would go with an older dog. Just easier not to have to do the housebreaking.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:25 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
Thanks for the b-day wishes, but I live in a small town and the rescue place is empty, hence the thread request.
I run a rescue in middle TN. I"ve adopted dogs all over the east coast and have one flying out to UT this weekend. Rescues will work with approved adopters to get the new pet to them.

I second the suggestion to hit Petfinder. Also to find a young adult in rescue, not a shelter, if you've never owned and trained a large, intelligent breed dog before. And please listen to what they tell you and follow what they say. I love GSDs but they are a more difficult dog in my experience. I've got two at home right now - one a forever foster and the other is being treated for HWs and will be available after she tests positive. The male is much older and very neurotic, thus he's not available and will spend the rest of his life with us. The female is incredible - obviously professionally trained. But as amazing as she is, she's incredibly smart and active, even at 8 years old.

Do lots of resereach and make sure you let them know this will be your first so you'll need one that's already well trained.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Happy Birthday and what a great way to celebrate! I agree that I would look for a young adult GS. If you have any rescues within 100 miles or so, that's where I would look. Many volunteers gladly transport.
I use to pull and transport for GSD rescues. So yes this is another option.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I run a rescue in middle TN. I"ve adopted dogs all over the east coast and have one flying out to UT this weekend. Rescues will work with approved adopters to get the new pet to them.

I second the suggestion to hit Petfinder. Also to find a young adult in rescue, not a shelter, if you've never owned and trained a large, intelligent breed dog before. And please listen to what they tell you and follow what they say. I love GSDs but they are a more difficult dog in my experience. I've got two at home right now - one a forever foster and the other is being treated for HWs and will be available after she tests positive. The male is much older and very neurotic, thus he's not available and will spend the rest of his life with us. The female is incredible - obviously professionally trained. But as amazing as she is, she's incredibly smart and active, even at 8 years old.

Do lots of resereach and make sure you let them know this will be your first so you'll need one that's already well trained.

I totally agree here. Going through a rescue would be a benefit, they could match you up with a dog that would be great for a first time owner.

My male was very laid back, easy to train, and would have been great for the first time shepherd owner, one of my females, not so much. She was a handful and very stubborn.

Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs