Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:43 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I guess the answer depends on what you are calling a "pet transportation company"? The majority of companies that transport pets around the country/world, use regular scheduled passenger or cargo airlines. The pets travel just like any other animal would travel, subject to all the issues everyother pet would be subjected to.

The only other option is PetAirways, but there are problems even using them because their flights are hops and jumps which means the pet is subjected to several takeoffs and landings which some vets say is more traumatic than a single straight flight because it takes twice as long to reach a destination. And there are concerns about the stability of the airline, so people are shying away from advance bookings.

But for the most part, if you use a transporter and it involves air travel, the pets are going in the baggage hold of some commercial airline.

As for regulations, that's another issue but lets just say, commercial pets transportation follows a less strict set of rules. When you an individual tenders your pet for transportation, the rules for you and the airline are stricter and there are rules for the safety and health of the animal that does not pertain to commercial shippers of cargo which happens to be an animal.

FYI, I never worked for an airline but I do work for a world wide heavy-lift strategic air transportation company. Although we do have dogs aboard sometimes, most animals are much much bigger such as whales, gorillas, rino's, etc.

man oh man .... i bet there are some stories there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
This is very heartbreaking!
After hearing this horror story and others before this one, I don't think I can use flying as a means of transportation unless I am able to keep a eye on my pup myself (currently, this can only mean in the cabin under the seat). But alas, Edison is a big mini schnuazer who could not comfortably sit underneath my seat. I could possibly buy him a seat if money were not an issue!
I wouldn't rule out air travel. All you need to do is understand what is happening each step of the way.

I can't tell you how many times I explain to people that you have to decide if you are going to travel what is easiest for you or what is best and easiest on the pet. Many time what is best for the passenger could be horrible for the pet and if they made just a little change, the pet will have less problems and you reduce the chances of issues.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:38 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I wouldn't rule out air travel. All you need to do is understand what is happening each step of the way.

I can't tell you how many times I explain to people that you have to decide if you are going to travel what is easiest for you or what is best and easiest on the pet. Many time what is best for the passenger could be horrible for the pet and if they made just a little change, the pet will have less problems and you reduce the chances of issues.
Along those same lines....here are a few tips to help make your pet's trip on an airplane (in cargo) the least stressful possible:
  • Make sure that your kennel is airline approved and that your pet can COMFORTABLY stand up, sit down, turn around and lay down while inside WITH the water dish in place and the door closed. There are a lot of times a pet carrier is refused because it is too small for the animal. Go to the airline website for information on the size carrier that they require for your size animal. They give you actual dimensions to go by. Follow them and you will not have a problem.
  • If at all possible, book a non-stop flight. You will then not have to worry about your pet being transferred to a different aircraft and it keeps the trip time to a minimum.
  • Make sure that the name address and phone number information for the destination is CLEARLY labeled on the kennel. Also make sure that all of the approperate stickers (live animal, up arrows, etc) are also on the kennel. Fill out the information sticker before putting it on the kennel so it will be written clearly.
  • Definately give water to your pet before the trip but do not feed right before kenneling and taking the trip to the airport. That includes treats or rawhide bones.
  • Make sure that your pet is properly vaccinated and that you have the current and proper paperwork that verifys that fact available when you check your pet in at the counter.
  • Attached a ziplock to the top of the kennel that has a small amount of food and a leash and collar for your pet. (I use duct tape to attach it)
  • Finally and for me most importantly, get to the departure gate for your flight BEFORE the baggage is loaded so you can watch for your kennel to be loaded on. If you do not see that happen by the "last boarding call" for your flight. Approach the agent at the gate with your pet paperwork and have them verify where your pet is. Pets are loaded on the plane last but I always (and I mean AWAYS) verify that my furkids are on board before I get on.
As I said earlier in the thread, I've traveled by air with my pets for over 20 years. During that time I have only had to question the kennel's whereabouts once. Use dilligence and common sense and the probability is that you will not have a problem. If there is a problem with locating the kennel, you can catch it before you fly. I hope that this helps.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 05-10-2010 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs