U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,554,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Ok its usually after she comes from outside(pooping). I dont know what the glands expressed means.
Anal glands are normally expressed (fluid released) whenever they do a solid movement. Sometimes the glands get backed up and need a little human help releasing fluid. If they back up too long they'll itch and the dog will react to that by boot-scooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 PM

1,928 posts, read 2,116,692 times
I would go with the anal glands also. The vet will explain why they can be a problem.

I kind of know why but I am usually trying to pretend I am not in the room during this time and I go to my special place in the Bahamas.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 PM

21,278 posts, read 5,235,983 times
[quote=Fontucky;14086228]Anal glands are normally expressed (fluid released) whenever they do a solid movement. Sometimes the glands get backed up and need a little human help releasing fluid. If they back up too long they'll itch and the dog will react to that by boot-scooting.[/quote]

I've always called it the Moon Walk!!! hahahaha

Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 PM

[quote=CoastalMaine;14086267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Anal glands are normally expressed (fluid released) whenever they do a solid movement. Sometimes the glands get backed up and need a little human help releasing fluid. If they back up too long they'll itch and the dog will react to that by boot-scooting.[/quote]

I've always called it the Moon Walk!!! hahahaha
LOL! What a picture I am getting in my head now!

Old 05-08-2010, 10:24 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,856,018 times
Agree with everyone else that anal glands should be checked but if its an older dog it could also be that the muscles back there aren't working as well as they used to and some 'residue" remains in the area after pottying. I had that problem with Bandit when he got older. I don't think he ever got used to Mom slapping a cold baby wipe on his butt when he came back inside but it did take care of the problem of skid marks and butt kisses on the carpet!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 AM

3,753 posts, read 5,111,575 times
Oh my gosh...WRONG thread to read when you're eating breakfast. Where's that puking icon?

As gross as it sounds, it looks and smells even grosser. We actually had to EVACUATE the exam room when my vet expressed Beesley's glands--they were so full! I made the mistake of looking at my vets hand after he'd gotten done with one side. O.M.G.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 AM

It is a truly awful awful smell. Right up there for me with skunk. You know it's bad when the vet or their techs look like you punched them in the face when they have to do it. One of my friends used to do her own dog after the vet taught her how. I always thought she was nuts. After a few times, back to the vet!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:47 AM

15 posts, read 3,253 times
Default hello

hey for Dogs Every thing is just depends on the way they express, just need to take good care of there habitats..thats it

Old 06-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Sco

4,261 posts, read 2,252,292 times
If this happens a lot, you need to take the dog to the vet for an exam. Other posters have mentioned the anal gland issue already, but this can also be a symptom of something more serious, like a tumor or perianal fistula. Have you taken a good look back there to see if something looks strange or inflamed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs