Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:13 AM

188 posts, read 972,164 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am finally going to Tractor Supply today and buying a dog pen for our outside dog. I think I am more excited about it then he will be..LOL!! What is the best thing to put down on the ground for him? I have heard sawdust, mulch or straw. Which one is better? And the cheapest? I will be putting a cover over it and may also try to fix one side so if the wind is blowing and it is cold and/or raining I can drop some cover over the side.( The other side will be up against the building. ) Poor dog has been tied up for a year now and I am tired of the neighbor coming over and letting him loose ( usually between 9 and 10 at night). So yes, I will be putting a lock on the door to the pen. Thanks!!

Old 05-08-2010, 02:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,818,857 times
It is important to keep the run santitary as to minimize disease and odor problems. What is "cheap" is not always best. Please consider digging a 4" gravel base and covering with crushed limestone. The urine will seep through and solid waste will be easier to pick up. You can keep adding crushed limestone as needed. It is more forgiving on the dog's body than poured concrete slab pads and more sanitary than wood/straw products. An elevated platform of this newer recycled plastic decking material will also be sanitary and not absorb odors. It will allow your dog to get off the ground when it is wet outside.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:55 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,522,608 times
Pine needles are very good if available. They break down quickly but don't swell up like straw or mulch and are easy to pick poop up.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:46 AM

272 posts, read 638,579 times
You do let him inside the house don't you? If not that's doesn't provide a healthy and happy quality of life for your dog. A dog's entire world revolves around their human, you have your life and friends, but he only has you. I wish they would outlaw pens

Old 05-09-2010, 06:12 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,115,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Ok, I am finally going to Tractor Supply today and buying a dog pen for our outside dog. I think I am more excited about it then he will be..LOL!! What is the best thing to put down on the ground for him? I have heard sawdust, mulch or straw. Which one is better? And the cheapest? I will be putting a cover over it and may also try to fix one side so if the wind is blowing and it is cold and/or raining I can drop some cover over the side.( The other side will be up against the building. ) Poor dog has been tied up for a year now and I am tired of the neighbor coming over and letting him loose ( usually between 9 and 10 at night). So yes, I will be putting a lock on the door to the pen. Thanks!!
Did it occur to you your dog is a nuisance to your neighbors at 9 or 10 or night outside and that a pen isn't going to solve this issue. Or they feel sorry for the poor thing and hoped it would run away to a new family. If I was your neighbor I probably would not have only untied the dog but confiscated it and taken it to a shelter. You've tied this dog up for a year day and night - how sad. You are now leaving it out in the rain and wind and lord knows what other elements without even the slightest thought to bring him inside....I can't even say what I'm thinking on in this post. Except to ask - why do you even have a dog?

I've seen this post sit idle for a while now and I can only guess it is because most of the people in here couldn't use the vocabularly they are thinking. Yeah, this is something to get real excited about.

Last edited by Thursday007; 05-09-2010 at 06:31 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 08:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,415,297 times
Ummm - what Thursday said.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,967,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Did it occur to you your dog is a nuisance to your neighbors at 9 or 10 or night outside and that a pen isn't going to solve this issue. Or they feel sorry for the poor thing and hoped it would run away to a new family. If I was your neighbor I probably would not have only untied the dog but confiscated it and taken it to a shelter. You've tied this dog up for a year day and night - how sad. You are now leaving it out in the rain and wind and lord knows what other elements without even the slightest thought to bring him inside....I can't even say what I'm thinking on in this post. Except to ask - why do you even have a dog?

I've seen this post sit idle for a while now and I can only guess it is because most of the people in here couldn't use the vocabularly they are thinking. Yeah, this is something to get real excited about.

yep .... EXACTLY......

Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 AM

268 posts, read 702,384 times
Poor, poor dog. Paying for your ignorance with his solitary lonely life. And youre excited like youre doing something wonderful? You dont know the first thing about being a human companion for a dog, or what dogs need from us.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,910,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

Precisely.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 AM

100 posts, read 549,754 times
Do the dog a favor. Put it up for adoption. Craigslist is right along your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs