U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 PM

7 posts, read 6,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Hi there...I have a 5 month old husky and absolutely love him to death! He is the sweetest dog and very smart. I also grew up with german shepards and love them too. They are great dogs, very loyal and protective. I do remember though ours barked....a lot. My husky, while he's still a puppy so I'm not sure how he'll be when he grows older hardly barks at all, except at our cat, but he is a "talker"/whiner. He wants to be with me all the time. I can't even go to the bathroom without him whining. He will howl and woo woo when he wants to talk to you. He's not independent at all, but not sure if it's an age thing, his personality, or just his breed. Honestly, I couldn't love him more, so much so we are getting another husky in a few months. He doesn't have as much energy as everyone talks about, but I think that's his age. The older he gets the more energy he gets. He is friendly to everyone and other dogs. I think its a personal decision with which one you go for. Read up on the breeds and see which on fits your family the best. Good luck!
Wait till the teenage years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
Now.. not to change the subject, but... tell me more about this less shedding - raw diet thing! Is there a place you get it from? Or do you make it? (and thanks again for the compliments, all!)
Just raw meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila48 View Post
Wow!!! Great input here. I really like the idea about letting the dogs see how they are around one another. My husband would be the one training the dog. He says, Dakota is your dog this would be my dog. LOL. Right now I am learning and observing from all of you. Thanks so much...
Don't make it into my dog and his dog. It will cause problems. What are
you guys looking for in a dog ? GSD and Siberian huskies are very different.
I can't speak for GSD. On Siberian husky I can. Getting a husky based
on their looks is the worst thing. So many end up in shelters or re-homed
because of it.

When my Siberian Husky comes home from his 6 miles with backpack, he
rather play then rest. Like the energizer bunny. He also lives with 4 small dogs, all under 20lbs.

I agree with Nancy, you don't always get the traits you want.

There was no room for him.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 AM

467 posts, read 947,221 times
We adopted a Husky/shepherd mix female from North shore Animal League....She was a beauty all white
she had the curled tail but not the blue eyes of a husky...Oh boy did she like to roam....Alas we only
had her 8 years..she got sick and we had to put her down.....but she was such a joy...great with people,
kids...was very territorial however with our property and our yard....didn't like any other dogs on the
property....we miss her.....

Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 PM

379 posts, read 4,883 times
GSD vs Siberian Husky? JMO, but how about a Samoyed? I had a 1/2 Samoyed, 1/2 GSD, but it looked like and had the temperament of a Samoyed. Great dog- I'll probably get another one in the next two years (or an Icelandic Sheepdog). Happy, smiling face, so smart, they don't smell, hardy dogs, and they are a good size (around 60 lbs). Plus they love to follow you around. Just amazing dogs. And they do fine in the heat as long as you take precautions.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 PM

I agree, that Sammy's are wonderful dogs. But do keep in mind
that Samoyed are independent thinkers, just like the Siberian Husky.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:09 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,479,969 times
I have loved reading everyone's comments. I grew up with a GSD and I loved that dog so much. What a great dog.

We now have a weird mix - border collie/malamute. We adopted her about 2 years ago. We always thought she had part husky - but when she escaped this past week (first time in a long time - at first she kept jumping the fence) and we picked her up at the humane society, the first thing the lady there commented on was her ears - said she was sure she had malamute in her.

So we went home and read up on them. Everything about her made sense after that! And everything said here about huskies - my goodness, it makes me laugh. The not doing well with other dogs, but would let a robber in and probably show him around, the wandering, needing exercise, pulling, talking (my goodness she can be a drama queen), digging, independence, smart but stubborn.....

She is a lot of work but worth every bit. One thing she doesn't do is bolt. She is great under voice command and can be out in the garage hanging out with us and be fine. And once she realized we were her family after we got her, the fence jumping stopped (the reason she had been surrendered multiple times).

Old 07-09-2010, 02:23 PM

Most huskies do well with other dogs though...

Alaskan malamute's ear are set more apart than Siberian huskies.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:44 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,479,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iibao View Post
Most huskies do well with other dogs though...

Alaskan malamute's ear are set more apart than Siberian huskies.
I realize huskies and malamute's are the same, but a lot of similarities - and from the descriptions on here about huskies, there is a lot of that in our dog. So maybe she has a bit of both.

I can particularly relate to the not listening because they are interested in something else part. She's very obedient - when it suits her purpose.

We did learn pretty quick that we could not take ours to a dog park - we thought that was the border collie part of her and wanting to herd. I think it might be more of the pack mentality though. Or a bad combination of both....

We originally were very interested in adopting a husky as they had a couple here at our humane society. But both were marked at not good with cats - and we have a cat. Surprisingly, our dog is scared of our cat. But will go after anything and everything else.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:33 PM

4,870 posts, read 4,429,661 times
Our husky liked to run, too. It was quite a challenge, as we moved around, to figure out how to secure our backyard settings. This house had a concrete type fence, but the other yard was on a lake. My husband put a fence up and she never bothered much going near it. She was getting older,too. She had a fear of heights as she got older and didn't like going out much after 12-13 years old (doggie parlor or boarding). She also dissliked getting her feet wet, when it would rain. How bizzare for a snow dog!!
She had an excellent temperment and loved our cats. They were great friends. I've read some huskies will be predatorial towards cats, rabbits, etc. She never bothered with the yard rabbits, either. She would catch/kill birds, now and then. I'd scold her, but she'd turn over and go to sleep. She only barked maybe 5 times her whole life. SHe was a fussy eater and would have "power plays" over food. Well, huskies are stubborn. She was a good soul, but a challenge, too. They're very active dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs