Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:21 PM

76 posts, read 175,813 times

Advertisements

Hi, just thought I would try this to see what people think of the two dogs. The pros and cons of the two dogs.

We alos have a yorkie.

Anyone out there have any input on this. Thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 05:23 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,259,850 times
Huskies are more likely to get sick from the heat opposed to shepherds.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 PM

513 posts, read 1,074,193 times
Huskies are also escape artists, and require much more exercise. Not that sheperds don't require exercise, but huskies need to run daily. When we adopted our dog, the shelter had 3 huskies to choose from. When I asked why, the worker there told me they can figure out how to open gates, doors etc that would contain most other dogs. When they do escape, they will wander far.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:21 PM

734 posts, read 1,629,014 times
Huskies are extremely independent and love to run. They require alot of grooming. The undercoat heats them up and they need to be de-shedded on a regular basis. Be ready for $100 grooming bills for the proper job. They tend to be talkers and will yodel and complain. I love them to pieces!
Shepherds are beautiful, loyal partners. They also require alot of brushing and grooming to maintain the coat and keep the dog comfortable. They are very intelligent, as is the husky, but tend to want to please more with obedience. I love them to pieces too!
You may want to research both breeds online and see which fits your household better. There are many types of dogs that fall into the category "husky" and some are larger than others, some have more coat, etc.
Good luck with it!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 PM

621 posts, read 3,196,795 times
Hi there...I have a 5 month old husky and absolutely love him to death! He is the sweetest dog and very smart. I also grew up with german shepards and love them too. They are great dogs, very loyal and protective. I do remember though ours barked....a lot. My husky, while he's still a puppy so I'm not sure how he'll be when he grows older hardly barks at all, except at our cat, but he is a "talker"/whiner. He wants to be with me all the time. I can't even go to the bathroom without him whining. He will howl and woo woo when he wants to talk to you. He's not independent at all, but not sure if it's an age thing, his personality, or just his breed. Honestly, I couldn't love him more, so much so we are getting another husky in a few months. He doesn't have as much energy as everyone talks about, but I think that's his age. The older he gets the more energy he gets. He is friendly to everyone and other dogs. I think its a personal decision with which one you go for. Read up on the breeds and see which on fits your family the best. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,584,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Huskies are more likely to get sick from the heat opposed to shepherds.
That isn't really accurate. I live in southern New Mexico and my Sibe does just fine in the heat. As a matter of fact, she actually does better here than she did in NJ since the humidity is so low. Sure, she needs lots of brushing this time of year, but, it is great bonding time when she deigns to stay still long enough to let me groom her

Now to the OP's question:
Both are great dogs. The key differences for me, and I have lived with both, are these:
1) GSDs are protective and will guard your house, property, etc., Sibes - not so much. On the other hand, Sibes are much friendlier to everybody than the average GSD.

2) GSDs tend to come when you call them. They excel at obedience training and are excellent 'Canine Citizens.' Sibes are less apt to excel at obedience, though they will certainly remember the commands if they think it is to their advantage to do so. If there is something more interesting going on, however, they will happily ignore you. I think one needs to be a little more creative when obedience training a Sibe.

3) GSDS tend to keep their own council. Sibes will 'talk' to you about anything and everything.

4) GSDs are pretty laid back. They don't mind hanging out in the garage and being your 'buddy.' For most Sibes, the grass is always greener somewhere down the street. All dogs need secure enclosures to prevent injury, loss, etc., however, it is an absolute must with a Sibe. People who tell you that they think seen their Sibes studying the gate latches, calculating fence height, etc. are not exagerating. And, they are very happy to accept rides from strangers.

5) Both shed profusely when they 'blow' their coats, however, Sibes tend to stay cleaner than GSDs. They don't smell, they eat much less, are generally smaller and have longer average life spans. They all also extremely prey-driven, can be dog-agressive and very destructive if left to their own devices for too long. They hate being alone for any length of time, even though they do need their quiet time.

If you are looking for a good, obedient watchdog, I would favor a GSD. If that is less of a concern, and you have time to take really long walks everyday, a Sibe is a great choice. You really can't go wrong with either breed.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Wow!!! thank you everyone so much.

I have been online studying the two breeds also.

Right now I'm still researching the whole thing. My yorkie is my baby and he needs to be the alpha dog. Ha ha. He thinks he is a big dog. He literally goes with me anywhere that I can take him. I would love the other dog to be his buddy for when he has to be left at home. He absolutly hates being left alone.

I read that siberians are like that. So would I have to dogs crying when mom leaves. LOL.

Not sure, are German sheppards on a list for the insurance companies? I know pit bulls, dobermans, and rotweilers are.

I really appreciate everyone putting there input here. I am also open to look at other dogs if anyone has another breed that they love.

We have the small dog so my husband now wants a bigger dog. Not to big thouh. LOL

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:26 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,388,522 times
I have heard that both Shepards and Husky's are on the list. My Husky is 11 1/2 years old. We love her to death. She still talks to us when she wants treats and play time. That said, they are big time diggers, mine still does, and will use any means to escape. Mine no longer does but she has many times. She has dug under the fence, climbed the fence, bolted out when the front door was opened, and escaped from her leash while we walked her. All of these happen so fast you will not believe it. We were lucky to get her back each and every time. I took care of the fence escapes with a electric wire but with the bolting out, we just had to be careful. She no longer tries to escape, guess she realises how good she has it here. good luck with whatever you choose.

There are pics of mine in my album as well as my other 2. Also, I would only get rescued pups. I would never buy from a pet shop. hope you feel the same way.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:33 PM

490 posts, read 1,781,492 times
Well, I wanted to chime in because I have a GSD.

First, I admire Huskies because they are so beautiful. I wanted one but the fact that they are runners made me rethink. I then fell for a young GSD female and so far, I find that GSDs need lots of exercise. She expects 1+ hour of walk in the woods and play everyday. She is also very strong to the point of dragging me if she so desires. Because she is pampered, she has turned in to a whiner/talker and sometimes she is even demanding (right now she is barking at me for her dinner, which is being cooked). GSDs are in the working dog class so they need something to do. If they get bored, they become destructive. Many Shepherds have a sensitive stomach and have to eat simple (few ingredients). My GSD is too independent. She does welcome me home but she is not a dog to be by my feet, rather she has made her own space and comes to me at specific times such as early in the morning when she usually climbs to bed and rests next to me.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM

Ok, well the running away and and taking off is a bit scary. I don't need to be chasing a dog all over the world. LOL

I love the look of the siberian but, I know that is not a good enough reason to get a dog.

I would love to get a rescue dog. That is the first place I would look.

Well, keep the comments coming.They are a big help. I appreciate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs